Estimating the Impact of Reducing Violence Against Female Sex Workers on HIV Epidemics in Kenya and Ukraine: A Policy Modeling Exercise
Article first published online: 6 FEB 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons A/S
American Journal of Reproductive Immunology
Special Issue: Sexual Violence and HIV Transmission
Volume 69, Issue Supplement s1, pages 122–132, February 2013
How to Cite
Estimating the impact of reducing violence against female sex workers on HIV epidemics in Kenya and Ukraine: a policy modeling exercise. Am J Reprod Immunol 2013; 69 (Suppl. 1): 122–132, , , , , , , .
- Issue published online: 6 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 6 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 21 AUG 2012
- 1Testing ecological models: the meaning of validation. Ecol Model 1996; 90:219–224.:
- 2Burden of HIV among female sex workers in low-income and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2012; 12:538–549., , , , , , , :
- 3Violence against female sex workers in Karnataka state, south India: impact on health, and reductions in violence following an intervention program. BMC Public Health 2010; 10:476., , , , , , , , , , , :
- 4Injection drug use, sexual risk, violence and STI/HIV among Moscow female sex workers. Sex Transm Infect 2012; 88:278–283., , , , , , , , :
- 5The context of economic insecurity and its relation to violence and risk factors for HIV among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India. Public Health Rep 2010; 125(Suppl 4):81–89., , , , :
- 6Sex Workers Rights Advocacy N: Arrest the violence: human rights abuses against sex workers in central and Eastern Europe and central Asia 2009.
- 7Swain Sea: Experience of violence and adverse reproductive health outcomes, HIV risks among mobile female sex workers in India. BMC Public Health 2011; 11:357.
- 11Injection drug use as a mediator between client-perpetrated abuse and HIV status among female sex workers in two mexico-US border cities. AIDS Behav 2011; 12:179–185., , , , , , :
- 12Violence victimisation, sexual risk and sexually transmitted infection symptoms among female sex workers in Thailand. Sex Transm Infect 2010; 86:236–240., , , , , :
- 15Health risks and power among female sex workers in Moscow. SEICUS Rep 2005; 22:18–26., , , , , , :
- 19Female genital injuries resulting from consensual and non-consensual vaginal intercourse. Forensic Sci Int 2011; 204:27–33., , , :
- 20The physiology of sexual violence, genito-anal injury and HIV: opportunities for improving risk estimation. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2012. [Epub ahead of print].:
- 22Intimate partner violence functions as both a risk marker and risk factor for women's HIV infection: findings from Indian husband-wife dyads. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2009; 51:593–600., , , , , , :
- 24Intimate partner violence, relationship power inequity, and incidence of HIV infection in young women in South Africa: a cohort study. Lancet 2010; 376:41–48., , , :
- 25Reducing intimate and paying partner violence against women who exchange sex in Mongolia: results from a randomized clinical trial. J Interpers Violence 2012; 27:1911–1931., , , , , , :
- 26Futures Institute: Goals Manual: A Model for Estimating the Effects of Interventions and Resource Allocation on HIV Infections and Deaths. Glastonbury, CT, Futures Institute, 2011.
- 27WHO: Antiretrovial Therapy for HIV Infection in Adults and Adolescents: 2010 Revision. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2010.
- 30Sexual and physical violence against female sex workers in Kenya: a qualitative enquiry. AIDS Care 2011; 23:612–618., , , , , :
- 31WHO: Systematic Review on Violence Against Sex Workers and HIV. Geneva, WHO, 2012. (forthcoming).
- 33HIV risks among female sex workers in Croatia and Montenegro. Coll Antropol 2010; 34:881–886., , , , , , :
- 34The connections of mental health problems, violent life experiences, and the social milieu of the ‘stroll’ with the HIV risk behaviors of female street sex workers. J Psychol Human Sex 2005; 17:23–44., , , :
- 35HIV transmission risk through anal intercourse: systematic review, meta-analysis and implications for HIV prevention. Int J Epidemiol 2010; 39:1048–1063., , :
- 36HIV transmission in serodiscordant heterosexual couples. BMJ 2010; 340:c2449., , :
- 39AIDS Alliance Ukraine: Publications of the HIV/AIDS Alliance in Ukraine. http://www.aidsalliance.org.ua/cgi-bin/index.cgi?url=/en/library/our/index.htm, 2011.
- 40National AIDS Control Council: UNGASS 2010: Country Report - Kenya: National AIDS Control Council, 2010.
- 41National Aids Control Council OotPK, World B, Unaids: Kenya HIV Prevention Response and Modes of Transmission Analysis. Nairobi, NACC, 2009.
- 42UNAIDS, Ministry of Health of Ukraine: Ukraine: national report on monitoring progress toward the UNGASS Declaration of commitment on HIV/AIDS. Reporting period: January 2008 – December 2009. Kiev 2010.
- 45Association of HIV infection with distribution and viral load of HPV types in Kenya: a survey with 820 female sex workers. BMC Infect Dis 2010; 10:18., , , , , , , , , :
- 46Association between participant self-report and biological outcomes used to measure sexual risk behavior in human immunodeficiency virus-1-seropositive female sex workers in Mombasa, Kenya. Sex Transm Dis 2011; 38:429–433., , , , , , , , :
- 50Exploring dynamics of anal sex among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh. Indian J Sex Transm Dis 2012; 33:9–15., , , , :
- 52Declines in risk behaviour and sexually transmitted infection prevalence following a community-led HIV preventive intervention among female sex workers in Mysore, India. AIDS 2008; 22(Suppl 5):S91–S100., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , :
- 53Amnesty International: Nigeria: Rape- the Silent Weapon. London, Amnesty International, 2006. AFR 44/020/2006.
- 54ASWA: Final report: “I expect to be abused and I have fear”: sex workers' experiences of human rights violations and barriers to accessing healthcare in four African countries. 2011.
- 58Masculinities and condom use patterns among young rural South Africa men: a cross-sectional baseline survey. BMC Public Health 2012; 12:462., , , :
- 62WHO: Violence Against Women and HIV/AIDS: Critical Interections - Intimate Partner Violence and HIV/AIDS. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2004.
- 63WHO: WHO Multi-country Study on Women's Health and Domestic Violence against Women. Geneva, WHO, 2005.
- 64Evidence for population level declines in adult HIV prevalence in Kenya. Sex Transm Infect 2006; 82(Suppl 1):i21–i26., , , , , :
- 65USAID, Ministry of Health of Ukraine: Ukraine: HIV/AIDS Health Profile. Kiev, USAID, Ministry of Health of Ukraine, 2010.
- 68USAID, Ministry of Health of Ukraine: Europe and Eurasia Region: HIV/AIDS Health Profile. Kiev, USAID, Ministry of Health of Ukraine, 2011.
- 69Estimates of the number of female sex workers in different regions of the world. Sex Transm Infect 2006; 82(Suppl 3):iii18–iii25., , , , , :
- 71Sexual behavior of female sex workers and access to condoms in Kenya and uganda on the trans-Africa highway. AIDS Behav 2009; 13:860–865., , :
- 72NASCOP: Most-At-Risk Populations: Unveiling New Evidence for Accelerated Programming (MARPs Surveillance Report). Nairobi: National AIDS and STD Control Program, 2012.
- 76Monitoring Behavior of Female Commercial Sex Workers as a Component of Second Generation Epidemiological Survey. Kyiv, International HIV/AIDS Alliance, 2007., , :
- 77Partners and clients of female sex workers in an informal urban settlement in Nairobi, Kenya. Cult Health Sex 2012; 14:17–30., , , , :