The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Non-Human Primate Models of Hormonal Contraception and HIV
Version of Record online: 10 APR 2014
© Published 2014. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
American Journal of Reproductive Immunology
Special Issue: Sex Hormones and HIV Transmission
Volume 71, Issue 6, pages 513–522, June 2014
How to Cite
Non-human primate models of hormonal contraception and HIV. Am J Reprod Immunol 2014; 71: 513–522, , , .
A part of this work was previously presented at the Symposium on Hormone Regulation of the Mucosal Environment in the Reproductive Tract and the Prevention of HIV infection, May 2013, Boston, USA, a satellite symposium of the International Society for Immunology of Reproduction/American Society for Reproductive Immunology meeting, June 2013.
- Issue online: 16 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 FEB 2014
- CDC. Grant Number: AAI 12041
- 5Vaginal transmission of SIV: assessing infectivity and hormonal influences in macaques inoculated with cell-free and cell-associated viral stocks. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 1998; 14(Suppl 1):S119–S123., , , :
- 7Animal models for microbicide safety and efficacy testing. Curr Opin HIV AIDS 2013; 8:295–303.:
- 10Food and Drug Administration: FDA approves first drug for reducing risk of sexually acquired HIV infection (Press Release), 2012. Available at http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm312210.htm.
- 11Food and Drug Administration: US prescribing information for truvada (emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate) tablets, for oral use, 2012. Available at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/021752s031lbl.pdf.
- 18Preexposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention: where have we been and where are we going? J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2013; 63(Suppl 2):S122–S129., , , :
- 38Effects of two progestin-only contraceptives, Depo-Provera and Norplant-II, on the vaginal epithelium of rhesus monkeys. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 1998; 14(Suppl 1):S125–S130., , , , :
- 42Chlamydia trachomatis plus SHIV: co-infection model development in the pigtailed macaque. In Chlamydia Infections, M. Chernesky (ed). Ontario, Canada, Elsevier Biomedical Press, 2006, pp 412–424., , , , , :
- 47The injectable contraceptive Depo-Provera does not reduce the prophylactic efficacy of Truvada in pigtail macaques. Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections Atlanta, GA, 2013., , , , , , , :
- 48Physiologic doses of depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate do not increase acute plasma SHIV viremia or mucosal virus shedding in pigtail macaques. AIDS, 2013 (submitted)., , , , , , , , :
- 69Upregulation of innate immune factors in vaginal secretions of pig-tailed macaques during the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle when susceptibility to SHIV infection is lower compared to the luteal phase. International Society for Immunology Reproduction (ISIR), hosted by the American Society for Reproductive Immunology (ASRI), Boston, MA, 2013., , , , , , , , , :
- 71Simian-human immunodeficiency viruses and their impact on non-human primate models for AIDS. In Immunodeficiency. K Metodiev (ed). Rijeka, Croatia, InTech, 2013, pp 311–356., , :
- 72Looking for the perfect challenge. IAVI Rep 2009; 13.:
- 82Pigtailed macaques under high doses of depot medroxyprogesterone are protected from multiple SHIV exposures with a tenofovir disoproxil fumarate intravaginal ring. Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Seattle, WA, 2013., , , , , , , , , :
- 85Heterosexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV): interactions of conventional sexually transmitted diseases, hormonal contraception and HIV-1. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 1998; 14(Suppl 1):S5–S10.:
- 86Division of STD Prevention, National Center for HIV/AIDS Viral Hepatitis, STD, and Tuberculosis Prevention: CDC Fact Sheet: The Role of STD Detection and Treatment in HIV Prevention. Atlanta, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2007. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/std/hiv/stdfact-std-hiv.htm.