Opportunities for Shared Decision Making in Kidney Transplantation
Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2013
© Copyright 2013 The American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Journal of Transplantation
Volume 13, Issue 5, pages 1149–1158, May 2013
How to Cite
Gordon, E. J., Butt, Z., Jensen, S. E., Lok-Ming Lehr, A., Franklin, J., Becker, Y., Sherman, L., Chon, W. J., Beauvais, N., Hanneman, J., Penrod, D., Ison, M. G. and Abecassis, M. M. (2013), Opportunities for Shared Decision Making in Kidney Transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation, 13: 1149–1158. doi: 10.1111/ajt.12195
- Issue online: 26 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2012
- 1Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010: CD006732., , , et al.
- 3National Research Council. Envisioning the National Health Care Quality Report. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001.
- 4Institute of Medicine (IOM), Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 2001.
- 6Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011: CD001431., , , et al.
- 7Adherence to antidepressant medication: Patient-centered shared decision making communication to improve adherence. CNS Spectr 2009; 14(12 Suppl 14): 6–9..
- 11American Medical Association. D-373.999 Informed Patient Choice and Shared Decision Making. Available at: at https://ssl3.ama-assn.org/apps/ecomm/PolicyFinderForm.pl?site-www.ama-assn.org&uri=%2fresources%2fdoc%2fPolicyFinder%2fpolicyfiles%2fDIR%2fD-373.999.HTM. Accessed February 8, 2013.
- 12The President's Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research. Making health care decisions. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office, 1982, pp. 30–44.
- 16Public Broadcast System Newshour. Money & medicine: The dangers of overdiagnosis and overtreatment. Public Broadcast System Newshour. Produced by Roger Weisberg. 2012.
- 26Perspectives of patients, families, and health care professionals on decision-making about dialysis modality—The good, the bad, and the misunderstandings! Perit Dial Int 2012. Epub ahead of print., , , , .
- 29Shared decision making. In: Fischhoff B, Brewer NT, Downs JS, eds. Communicating risks and benefits: An evidence-based user's guide. Silver Spring, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, 2011, pp. 173–184..
- 30Supporting shared decision making when clinical evidence is low. Med Care Res Rev 2012; 70(suppl 1): 129S–140S..
- 32U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Advance Copy—Organ Transplant Program Interpretive Guidelines, Ref: S&C-08–25, June 13, 2008. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/survey-certificationgeninfo/pmsr/itemdetail.asp?itemid=CMS1212055. Accessed March 17, 2012.
- 34Invitation to a dialogue: Arguing with doctors. The New York Times. August 21, 2012.
- 36Patients' perceptions of sharing in decisions: A systematic review of interventions to enhance shared decision making in routine clinical practice. Patient 2012; 5: 1–19., , , , , .
- 43Implementing the end-stage renal disease program of Medicare. Santa Monica, CA: The RAND Corporation (R-2505-HCFA), 1980., .
- 46Donor and recipient risk aversion in liver transplantation. Paper presented at the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, San Francisco, CA, 2011. [Hepatology 2011; 54(S1)]., , , .
- 53Healthcare L. Patient & family engagement—Using patient-facing technologies to improve the quality of patient care. 2011. Available at: http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/content/WHP-263512/Patient-Family-Engagement-mdash-Using-PatientFacing-Technologies-to-Improve-the-Quality-of-Patient-Care. Accessed February 8, 2013.