The Politics of Combating the Organ Trade: Lessons From the Israeli and Pakistani Experience
Article first published online: 15 MAY 2013
© Copyright 2013 The American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Journal of Transplantation
Volume 13, Issue 7, pages 1650–1654, July 2013
How to Cite
Efrat, A. (2013), The Politics of Combating the Organ Trade: Lessons From the Israeli and Pakistani Experience. American Journal of Transplantation, 13: 1650–1654. doi: 10.1111/ajt.12254
- Issue published online: 26 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 15 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 JAN 2013
- European Union's Seventh Framework Programme
- 3http://www.eulod.eu/Files/Elpat/Content_Files/XYgDtPresentation_Mor_text.pdf. Accessed February 6, 2013.Transplant tourism in Israel: Effect on transplant practice and organ donation. Available at:
- 4Pakistan abolishes kidney market and ushers in a new era of ethical transplantation. Int J Organ Transplant Med 2010; 1: 193–197., , , et al.
- 5Israel's Organ Transplantation Law, 5768-2008. English translation. Available at: http://www.declarationofistanbul.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=267:israel-transplant-law-organ-transplant-act-2008&catid=83:legislation&Itemid=130. Accessed February 6, 2013.
- 6Pakistan's Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues Act, 2010. Available at: http://www.siut.org/media-siut/data_files/transplantation_human_organs_act2010_170310.pdf. Accessed February 6, 2013.
- 8Organ harvesting from executed prisoners in China: A call to stop the Israeli participation in this process. Harefuah 2006; 145: 749–752 [in Hebrew].
- 9Changes in the world of transplantation: The transition from altruism to utilitarianism. Harefuah 2006; 145: 746–748 [in Hebrew].
- 10Activists beyond borders: Advocacy networks in International Politics. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press; 1998.,
- 15Sharia law and organ transplantation: Through the lens of muslim jurists. Asian Bioethics Rev 2011; 3: 316–332.
- 16Making deals with the devil. Dawn, June 6, 2012.
- 17How much is a kidney worth? Yedioth Ahronoth, February 3, 2000.
- 18Operation: Organ transplantation in China; donors are death row inmates. Yedioth Ahronoth, June 9, 2005.
- 19The organ trade: A global black market; tracking the sale of a kidney on a path of poverty and hope. New York Times, May 23, 2004.
- 20Hundreds deprived of kidneys in Punjab. Dawn, May 27, 2007.
- 21Pakistan becoming a kidney market. PakTribune, December 28, 2006.
- 22World Health Assembly. Human organ and tissue transplantation. WHA 57.18. May 22, 2004.
- 23Ministry of Health's position in case 2551/06 (Tel Aviv Labor Court), Abelson v. Kupat Holim Meuhedet and the Ministry of Health .
- 25Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation. Can You Still Deny? Continued Violation of Transplant Law in Pakistan. Available at: http://www.siut.org/media-siut/data_files/resurgence-of-pakistan-organ-trade.pdf. Accessed February 6, 2013.
- 26Editorial. Kidney trade resurgence. Dawn, July 6, 2011.
- 29Coalition for Organ-Failure Solutions. Sudanese victims of organ trafficking in Egypt: A preliminary evidence-based, victim-centered report. December 2011. Available at: http://cofs.org/home/sudanese-victims/. Accessed February 6, 2013.