How Young Is Too Young to Be a Living Donor?
Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
© Copyright 2013 The American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Journal of Transplantation
Volume 13, Issue 7, pages 1643–1649, July 2013
How to Cite
Campbell, M., Wright, L., Greenberg, R. A. and Grant, D. (2013), How Young Is Too Young to Be a Living Donor?. American Journal of Transplantation, 13: 1643–1649. doi: 10.1111/ajt.12307
- Issue published online: 26 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 28 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 FEB 2013
- 1Successful homotransplantation of human kidney between identical twins. JAMA 1956; 160: 277–282., , ,
- 2The new world: Montreal, 1955–1961. In: Beyond the Hippocratic Oath: A memoir on the rise of modern medical ethics. Edmonton, AB: University of Alberta Press, 2005, pp. 51–70.
- 4Enhancing living donation: A Canadian Forum Report and Recommendations [Internet]. Edmonton, AB: Canadian Council for Donation and Transplantation; 2006 [cited 2013 January 10]. Available at: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2007/hc-sc/H14-15-2006E.pdf., , , et al.,
- 7Health Care Consent Act [Ontario] c. 2, Sched. A, s. 4 (1) [Internet]. Toronto, ON: Government of Ontario [1996; updated 2010; cited 2013 January 13]. Available at: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_96h02_e.htm#BK4.
- 8Human Tissue and Organ Donation Act [Alberta] Chapter H-14.5, Sect. 5.(2) [Internet]. Edmonton, AB: Government of Alberta; 2006 [cited 2013 March 20]. Available at: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/h14p5.pdf.
- 9Human Tissue Gift Act [Manitoba] C.C.S.M. c. H180 [Internet]. Winnipeg, MB: Government of Manitoba; 1987 [cited 2013 March 20]. Available at: https://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/h180e.php.
- 10Trillium Gift of Life Network Act [Ontario] RSO 1990, Chapter H.20, Part 1, Sect. 3 (1) [Internet]. Toronto, ON: Government of Ontario; 1990 [cited 20 March 2013]. Available at: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h20_e.htm.
- 11Too young to save his mother's life? Hospital changes policy for teen [Internet]. Toronto, ON: Toronto Star; 2011 July 12 [cited 2013 March 20]. Available at: http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/news_research/2011/07/12/too_young_to_save_his_mothers_life_hospital_changes_policy_for_teen.html.
- 12Human Tissue Act [United Kingdom] [Internet]. London, UK: Government of the United Kingdom; 2004 [cited 2013 January 11]. Available at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/30/section/2.
- 13Human Tissue (Scotland) Act, Part 1, Sect. 17 and Part 7, Sect. 60.(1) [Internet]. Edinburgh, UK: Government of Scotland; 2006 [cited 2013 January 11]. Available at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2006/4/pdfs/asp_20060004_en.pdf.
- 14Final Report: A Common Frame of Reference for European Laws on Living Organ Donation. Work Package 3: Legal Restrictions and Safeguards for Living Donation in Europe/Part 1: Comparative analysis of European transplant laws regarding living organ donation: An overview [Internet] [place unknown], EULOD (Living Organ Donation in Europe); 2012 [cited 2013 January 11]. Available at: http://www.eulod.org/Files/Eulod/Content_Files/p2vCMDeliverable.No7.WWUM.Short.Version.pdf.
- 16Kansas Statutes, Ch. 65: Public Health. Article 32: Revised Anatomical Gift Act. Sect. 65-3223 [Internet]. Topeka, KS: Government of Kansas [Date unknown; cited 2013 January 11]. Available at: http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_65/Article_32/#65-3223.
- 17Uniform Anatomical Gift Act [California] Sect. 7150.15 [Internet]. Sacramento, CA: Government of California [date unknown; cited 2013 January 11]. Available at: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=hsc&group=07001-08000&file=7150-7151.40.
- 19Respect for autonomy. In: Principles of biomedical ethics, 5th ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2001, pp. 57–112.,
- 20Competence and consent to treatment in children and adolescents. Adv Psychiatr Treat 2001; 7: 150–159.
- 22Directory of Plain Language Health Information [Internet] [Place unknown]: Canadian Public Health Association [date unknown; cited 2013 January 11]. Available at: http://www.cpha.ca/uploads/portals/h-l/directory_e.pdf.
- 24Review of ethical guidelines for the evaluation of living organ donors. In: Weimar W, Bos MA, Busschbach JJV, eds. Organ transplantation: Ethical, legal and psychosocial aspects, vol. 2. Lengerich, Germany: Pabst, 2011, pp. 407–416., , , ,
- 26A guide for health care practitioners in the assessment of young peoples' capacity to consent to treatment. Clin Pediatr 2010; 49: 834–839.,
- 27Justice. In: Principles of bioethical ethics, 5th ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2001, pp. 225–282.,
- 34A child's right to an open future. In: Aiken W, LaFollette H, eds. Whose child? Parental rights, parental authority and state power. Totowa, NJ: Littlefield, Adams, and Co., 1980, pp. 124–153.
- 35Bioethics Program of University Health Network on behalf of The Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto. Ethical guidelines for the evaluation of living donors [Internet]. Toronto, ON: [Publisher unknown]; 2003 [updated 2008; cited 2013 January 11]. Available at: http://documents.uhn.ca/sites/UHN/Bioethics/resources/uhnprod005611-doc.pdf.