Brokerage and Social Capital in the Prehispanic U.S. Southwest
Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2013
© 2013 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 115, Issue 2, pages 232–247, June 2013
How to Cite
Peeples, M. A. and Haas, W. R. (2013), Brokerage and Social Capital in the Prehispanic U.S. Southwest. American Anthropologist, 115: 232–247. doi: 10.1111/aman.12006
- Issue online: 17 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2013
- 1991 The Origin and Development of the Pueblo Katsina Cult. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
- 2004 The Protohistoric Pueblo World, A.D. 1275–1600. Tucson: University of Arizona Press. , and , eds.
- 2002 Social Capital: Prospects for a New Concept. Academy of Management Review 27(1):17–40. , and
- 2004 Individualism-Collectivism and Social Capital. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 35(1):29–49. , and
- 1954 Class and Committees in a Norwegian Island Parish. Human Relations 7(1):39–58.
- 2007 Network Triads: Transitivity, Referral and Venture Capital Decisions in China and Russia. Journal of International Business Studies 38(6):998–1012.
- 2007 Jeddito Yellow Ware and Hopi Social Networks. Kiva 72(3):295–328.
- 1997 Bringing Strong Ties Back In: Indirect Ties, Network Bridges, and Job Searches in China. American Sociological Review 62(3):366–385.
- 1962 Markets in Africa. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press. , and , eds.
- 1979 Network Analysis: A Reappraisal. Current Anthropology 20(2):392–394.
- 2011 On Network Theory. Organization Science 22(5):1168–1181. , and
- 2006 On the Robustness of Centrality Measures under Conditions of Imperfect Data. Social Networks 28(2):124–136. , , and
- 1955 Urban Families: Conjugal Roles and Social Networks. Human Relations 8(4):345–384.
- 1957 Family and Social Network: Roles, Norms and External Relationships in Ordinary Urban Families. London: Tavistock.
- 1986 The Forms of Capital. In Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education. John G. Richardson, ed. Pp. 241–258. New York: Greenwood.
- 1951 The Place of Chronological Ordering in Archaeological Analysis. American Antiquity 16(4):301–313.
- 1985 Men's and Women's Networks: A Study of Interaction Patterns and Influence in an Organization. Academy of Management Journal 28(2):327–343.
- 2009 Connecting to Brokers: Strategies for Acquiring Social Capital. In Social Capital: Reaching Out, Reaching In. Viva Ona Bartkus and James H. Davis, eds. Pp. 260–274. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Press.
- 1982 Evolution of “Tribal” Social Networks: Theory and Prehistoric North American Evidence. American Antiquity 47(3):504–525. , and
- Thinking through Networks: A Review of Formal Network Methods in Archaeology. Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory. In press
- 1992 Structural Holes: The Social Structure of Competition. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2001 Structural Holes versus Network Closure as Social Capital. In Social Capital: Theory and Research. Nan Lin, Karen Cook, and Ronald S. Burt, eds. Pp. 31–56. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- 2004 Structural Holes and Good Ideas. American Journal of Sociology 110(2):349–399.
- 2005 Brokerage and Closure: An Introduction to Social Capital. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2011 Disappearance and Diaspora: Contrasting Two Migrations in the Southern U.S. Southwest. In Rethinking Anthropological Perspectives on Migration. Jeffery J. Clark and Graciela S. Cabana, eds. Pp. 84–107. Gainesville: University Press of Florida.
- 1988 Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital. American Journal of Sociology 94(Suppl.):S95–S120.
- 2003 The Stability of Centrality Measures When Networks Are Sampled. Social Networks 25(4):283–307. , and
- 1994 Ceramics and Ideology: Salado Polychrome Pottery. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press.
- 1940 Kinishba: A Prehistoric Pueblo of the Great Pueblo Period. Tucson: Hohokam Museums Association and the University of Arizona.
- 2002 Western Pueblo Identities: Regional Interaction, Migration, and Transformation. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
- 2007 Becoming Central. In Hinterlands and Regional Dynamics in the Ancient Southwest. Alan P. Sullivan III and James M. Bayman, eds. Pp. 185–200. Tucson: University of Arizona Press. , and
- 1994 A Dilemma of State Power: Brokerage and Influence in the National Health Policy Domain. American Journal of Sociology 99(6):1455–1491. , and
- 2004 The Development of Social Network Analysis: A Study in the Sociology of Science. Vancouver: Empirical Press.
- 1991 Centrality in Valued Graphs: A Measure of Betweenness Based on Network Flow. Social Networks 13(2):141–154. , , and
- 1979 The Structure of Community Organizational Networks. Social Forces 57(4):1346–1364.
- 1989 Structures of Mediation: A Formal Approach to Brokerage in Transnational Networks. Sociological Methodology 19:89–126. , and
- 1973 The Strength of Weak Ties. American Journal of Sociology 78(6):1360–1380.
- 2001 Beyond Chaco: Great Kiva Communities on the Mogollon Rim Frontier. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
- 2004 Prehistoric Demography in the Southwest: Migration, Coalescence, and Hohokam Population Decline. American Antiquity 69(4):689–716. , , , and
- 2012 Coalescent Communities GIS Database Version 2.0: Archaeology Southwest, Museum of Northern Arizona. Unpublished MS, Archaeology Southwest, Tucson. , , , and
- 1978 Interregional Trade and the Formation of Prehistoric Gateway Communities. American Antiquity 43(1):35–45.
- 1992 Cross-Cultural Differences in the Self. Journal of Anthropological Research 48(4):283–300.
- 2005 Kinship to Link-Up: Cell Phones and Social Networking in Jamaica. Current Anthropology 46(5):755–778. , and
- 1986 Individualism-Collectivism: A Study of Cross-Cultural Researchers. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 17(2):225–248. , and
- 2001 Network Role Analysis in the Study of Food Webs: An Application of Regular Role Coloration. Journal of Social Structure. http://www.cmu.edu/joss/content/articles/volume2/JohnsonBorgatti.html, accessed January 8, 2013. , , , and
- 1972 Strategy and Transaction in an African Factory: African Workers and Indian Management in a Zambian Town. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- 2010 Brokerage in SME Networks. Research Policy 39(3):375–385. , and
- 2011 An Archaeology of Interaction: Network Perspectives on Material Culture and Society. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2006 Social Networks and the Study of Relations: Networks as Method, Metaphor, and Form. Economy and Society 35(1):113–140. , , and
- 1980 The Social Dimension of Village Occupation at the McKeithen Site, North Florida. Southeastern Archaeological Conference Bulletin 22:5–11.
- 2004 Vessels and Villages: Evidence for Conformist Transmission in Early Village Aggregations on the Pajarito Plateau, New Mexico. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 23(1):100–118. , , and
- 2008 Social Capital Contested. International Review of Sociology 18(2):317–337.
- 1999 The Ties That Torture: Simmelian Tie Analysis in Organizations. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 16:183–210.
- 1999 Crossing the Great Divide: Anthropological Theories of the Western Self. Journal of Anthropological Research 55(4):541–562.
- 1983 The Boundary Specification Problem in Network Analysis. In Applied Network Analysis: A Methodological Introduction. Ronald S. Burt and M. J. Minor, eds. Pp. 18–34. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage. , , and
- 2009 Social Capital and Business and Management: Setting a Research Agenda. International Journal of Management Reviews 11(3):247–273.
- 2001 Building a Network Theory of Social Capital. In Social Capital: Theory and Research. Nan Lin, Karen Cook, and Ronald S. Burt, eds. Pp. 3–29. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- 1993 The Reliability of Network Density and Composition Measures. Social Networks 15(4):399–421.
- 2001 Dynamics of Contention. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , and
- 1998 Migration and PIV Community Reorganization in the Silver Creek Area, East-Central Arizona. In Migration and Reorganization: The Pueblo IV Period in the American Southwest. Arizona State University Anthropological Papers, 51. Katherine A. Spielmann, ed. Pp. 65–80. Tempe: Arizona State University.
- 2007 Performing the Feast: Visual Display and Suprahousehold Commensalism in the Puebloan Southwest. American Antiquity 72(2):210–240.
- 1995 Ceramic Production in the American Southwest. Tucson: University of Arizona Press. , and , eds.
- 2013 The Dynamics of Social Networks in the Late Prehispanic U.S. Southwest. In New Approaches in Regional Network Analysis. Carl Knappett and Ray Rivers, eds. Pp. 185–206. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , , , , , , , , and
- 1988 Conceptualizing the Person: Hierarchical Society and Individual Autonomy in India. American Anthropologist 90(3):568–579.
- 1969 The Concept and Use of Social Networks. In Social Networks in Urban Situations: Analyses of Personal Relationships in Central African Towns. J. Clyde Mitchell, ed. Pp. 1–50. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- 1974 Social Networks. Annual Review of Anthropology 3:279–299.
- 1957 The Theory of Social Structure. Glencoe, IL: Free Press.
- 2011 Resisting Diversity: A Long-Term Archaeological Study. Ecology and Society. http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol16/iss1/art25, accessed January 8, 2013. , , , , , and
- 2010 Node Centrality in Weighted Networks: Generalizing Degree and Shortest Paths. Social Networks 32(3):245–251. , , and
- 2010 Cultural Holes: Beyond Relationality in Social Networks and Culture. Annual Review of Sociology 36:205–224. , and
- 2007 Exploring the Social Capital Grid: Bonding, Bridging, Qualitative, Quantitative. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy 27(1):32–51. , and
- 2011 Identity and Social Transformation in the Prehispanic Cibola World: A.D. 1150–1325. Ph.D. dissertation, School of Human Evolution and Social Change, Arizona State University.
- 1991 A Graph-Theoretic Approach to the Evolution of Cahokia. American Antiquity 56(1):66–75.
- 1995 A Preliminary Theory of Interorganizational Network Effectiveness: A Comparative Study of Four Community Mental Health Systems. Administrative Science Quarterly 40(1):1–33. , and
- 1993 Making Democracy Work: Civic Traditions in Modern Italy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2000 Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- 1993 Resource Variability, Risk, and the Structure of Social Networks: An Example from the Prehistoric Southwest. American Antiquity 58(3):403–424.
- 2009 On the Relationship between Social Capital and Individualism-Collectivism. Social and Personality Psychology Compass 3(6):871–886. , and
- 2012 A Method for Chronological Apportioning of Ceramic Assemblages. Journal of Archaeological Science 39(5):1513–1520. , , , , , and
- 1951 A Method for Chronologically Ordering Archaeological Deposits. American Antiquity 16(4):293–301.
- 1960 Political Power and the Economy in Primitive Society. In Essays in the Science of Culture: In Honor of Leslie A. White. Gertrude Dole and Robert Carneiro, eds. Pp. 390–415. New York: William Y. Crowell.
- 2006 Social Capital and Welfare Reform: Organizations, Congregations, and Communities. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 2008 Social Capital, Civic Engagement and Trust. Anthropologica 50(2):425–428.
- 2012 Enacting Power through Networks. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 31(4):500–514. , and
- 2001 A Social Capital Theory of Career Success. Academy of Management Journal 44(2):219–237. , , and
- 1984 Does the Concept of Person Vary Cross-Culturally? In Culture Theory: Essays on Mind, Self, and Emotion. Richard A. Shweder and Robert A. LeVine, eds. Pp. 158–199. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , and
- 1993 Gifts, Bribes, and Guanxi: A Reconsideration of Bourdieu's Social Capital. Cultural Anthropology 8(3):388–408.
- 1998 The Archaeology of Social Boundaries. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press. , ed.
- 2012 Stabilizing Brokerage. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 108(Suppl. 4):21326–21332. , , and
- 2006 Studying Social Capital in Situ: A Qualitative Approach. Theory and Society 35(1):39–70.
- 2010 Social Network Analysis of the Genetic Structure of Pacific Islanders. Annals of Human Genetics 74(3):211–232.
- 1995 Individualism and Collectivism: New Directions in Social Psychology. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- 1994 Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , and
- 2002 The Wupatki Nexus: Chaco-Hohokam-Chumash Connectivity, A.D. 1150–1225. In The Archaeology of Contact: Processes and Consequences. Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Annual Conference of the Archaeological Association of the University of Calgary. Kurtis Lesick, Barbara Kulle, Christine Cluney, and Meaghan Peuramaki-Brown, eds. Pp. 218–234. Calgary: Archaeological Association of the University of Calgary.
- 2003 Coalescent Communities GIS Database Version 1.0: Museum of Northern Arizona, Archaeology Southwest, Western Mapping Company. Unpublished MS, Archaeology Southwest, Tucson. , , , and
- 2008 Social Networks and Infant Feeding in Oaxaca, Mexico. Maternal and Child Nutrition 4(2):121–135. , and
- 2007 When Brokers May Not Work: The Cultural Contingency of Social Capital in Chinese High-Tech Firms. Administrative Science Quarterly 52(1):1–31. , and