Proxy citizenship and transnational advocacy: Colombian activists from Putumayo to Washington, DC
Article first published online: 6 FEB 2013
© 2013 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 40, Issue 1, pages 55–70, February 2013
How to Cite
TATE, W. (2013), Proxy citizenship and transnational advocacy: Colombian activists from Putumayo to Washington, DC. American Ethnologist, 40: 55–70. doi: 10.1111/amet.12005
- Issue published online: 6 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 6 FEB 2013
- 2009 Martyr Bodies in the Media. American Ethnologist 36(1):161–180.
- 2010 Sex, Drugs, and Body Counts: The Politics of Numbers in Global Crime and Conflict. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press. , and
- 2001 The Rigoberta Menchu Controversy. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press. , ed.
- 1994 Nations Unbound: Transnational Projects, Postcolonial Predicaments, and Deterritorialized Nation-States. London : Gordon and Breach. , , and
- 2005 Networks Actual and Potential: Think Tanks, War Games and the Creation of Contemporary American Politics. Theory and Event 8(4). http://muse.jhu.edu/, accessed October 25, 2008. , , , and
- 1990 Literature and Politics in the Central American Revolutions. Austin : University of Texas Press. , and
- 1998 How Jews Became White Folks: And What That Says about Race in America. New Brunswick , NJ : Rutgers University Press.
- 1997 Excitable Speech: A Politics of the Performative. New York : Routledge.
- 2001 City of Walls: Crime, Segregation, and Citizenship in São Paulo. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1999 Democracy and Violence in Brazil. Comparative Studies in Society and History 41(4):691–729. , and
- 2010 Enactments of Expertise. Annual Review of Anthropology 39(1):17–32.
- 2010 The Double Bind of American Indian Need-Based Sovereignty. Cultural Anthropology 25(2):235–262.
- 2005 Economic Resources and Internal Armed Conflicts: Lessons from the Colombian Case. In Rethinking the Economics of War: The Intersection of Need, Creed, and Greed. Cynthia Arnson and I. William Zartman, eds. Pp. 178–205. Washington , DC : Woodrow Wilson Center Press.
- 2008 Solidarity and Divisions: Challenges to Solidarity in the Global Coal Industry. Paper presented at the Empire and Solidarity in the Americas Conference, University of New Orleans, October 17–18. , and
- 2007 From Where We Stand: War, Women's Activism and Feminist Analysis. London : Zed Books.
- 2006 Figuring Crime: Quantifacts and the Production of the Un/Real. Public Culture 18(1):209–246. , and
- Connect U.S. Fund 2008–10 Rapid Response Grants. http://www.connectusfund.org/grants/rapid, accessed October 12, 2011.
- 2000 Legalizing Moves: Salvadoran Immigrants’ Struggle for U.S. Residency. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press.
- 2007 Nations of Emigrants: Shifting Boundaries of Citizenship in El Salvador and the United States. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press.
- 2008 Fixing National Subjects in the 1920s Southern Balkans: Also an International Practice. American Ethnologist 25(2):338–356.
- 1995 God and Caesar at the Rio Grande: Sanctuary and the Politics of Religion. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 2007 Colombia Goes Full Tilt to Return to Grace. Wall Street Journal: A6.
- 2005 When Networks Don't Work: The Rise and Fall and Rise of Civil Society Initiatives in Central America. In Social Movements: An Anthropological Reader. June Nash, ed. Pp. 29–45. Malden , MA : Blackwell.
- 2006 Prisoners of Freedom: Human Rights and African Poor. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2008 The Humanitarian Politics of Testimony: Subjectification through Trauma in the Israeli–Palestinian Conflict. Cultural Anthropology 23(3):531–558.
- 2010 Humanitarian Reason: A Moral History of the Present. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2004 Memory Theatres, Virtual Witnessing, and the Trauma-Aesthetic. Biography 27(1):163–202.
- 2009 Managing African Portugal: The Citizen–Migrant Distinction. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 2011 Distant Allies, Proximate Enemies: Rethinking the Scales of the Antibase Movement in Ecuador. American Ethnologist 38(2):323–337.
- 2001 Advocacy after Bhopal: Environmentalism, Disaster, New Global Orders. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2006 Seeking Refuge: Central American Migration to Mexico, the United States, and Canada. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2009 The Limits of Solidarity: Labor and Transnational Organizing against Coca-Cola. American Ethnologist 36(4):667–680.
- 2005 Transborder Citizenship: An Outcome of Legal Pluralism within Transnational Social Fields. In Mobile People, Mobile Law: Expanding Legal Relations in a Contracting World. Franz von Benda-Beckmann, Keebat von Benda-Beckmann, and Anne M. O. Griffiths, eds. Pp. 27–49. Aldershot , UK : Ashgate.
- 2007 The Practice of Human Rights: Tracking Law between the Global and the Local. New York : Cambridge University Press. , and , eds.
- 2001 Passionate Politics: Emotions and Social Movements. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. , , and , eds.
- 2007 Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism. New York : Henry Holt.
- 2008 Just One Child: Science and Policy in Deng's China. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2002 Citizenship, Agency, and the Dream of Time. In Looking Back at Law's Century. Austin Sarat, Bryant G. Garth, and Robert A. Kagan, eds. Pp. 184–209. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press.
- 1996 The Real Thing: Testimonial Discourse and Latin America. Durham , NC : Duke University Press. , ed.
- 2010 Transitional Justice: Global Mechanisms and Local Realities after Genocide and Mass Violence. New Brunswick , NJ : Rutgers University Press.
- 2009 Liquidated: An Ethnography of Wall Street. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 2008 Insurgent Citizenship: Disjunctions of Democracy and Modernity in Brazil. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- Human Rights Watch 2001 The “Sixth Division”: Military-Paramilitary Ties and U.S. Policy in Colombia. New York : Human Rights Watch.
- 1998 Activists beyond Borders: Advocacy Networks in International Politics. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press. , and
- 2009 The Law of Remedies and the Clean Hands Doctrine. American University International Law Review 23(1):51–90.
- 1991 Women in the Sanctuary Movement. Philadelphia : Temple University Press.
- 2001 When Victims Become Killers: Colonialism, Nativism, and the Genocide in Rwanda. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 2006 Human Rights and Gender Violence: Translating International Law into Social Justice. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2008 Bait and Switch: Human Rights and U.S. Foreign Policy. 2nd edition. New York : Routledge.
- 2004 Cultivating Development: An Ethnography of Aid Policy and Practice. London : Pluto Press.
- 1999 Flexible Citizenship: The Cultural Logics of Transnationality. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 2006a Mutations in Citizenship. Theory, Culture and Society 23(2–3):499–505.
- 2006b Neoliberalism as Exception: Mutations in Citizenship and Sovereignty. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 2008 Si Nicaragua Venció, El Salvador Vencerá: Central American Agency in the Creation of the U.S.–Central American Peace and Solidarity Movement. Latin American Research Review 43(2):136–158.
- 2010 Legacies and Origins of the 1980s US-Central American Sanctuary Movement. Refuge: Canada's Journal on Refugees 26(1):7–19. , and
- 2011 Between the Guerrillas and the State: The Cocalero Movement, Citizenship, and Identity in the Colombian Amazon. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 2006 A Less Modest Witness. American Ethnologist 33(1):3–26.
- 2012 The Unbearable Lightness of Ex-Pats: Double Binds of Humanitarian Mobility. Cultural Anthropology 27(2):358–382.
- 2003 Cultural Citizenship, Inequality, and Multiculturalism. In Identities: Race, Class, Gender, and Nationality. Linda Martín Alcoff and Eduardo Mendieta, eds. Pp. 336–341. Malden , MA : Blackwell.
- 2009 The Trust in Indicators: Measuring Human Rights. Berkeley Journal of International Law 27(2):253–280. , and
- 2006 Nuevas formas de resistencia civil de lo privado a lo público: Movilizaciones de la Ruta Pacifica 1996–2003. Bogota : La Ruta Pacifica de las Mujeres.
- 2010 Localizing Transitional Justice: Interventions and Priorities after Mass Violence. Stanford : Stanford University Press. , , and , eds.
- 2004 Mixed Signals: U.S. Human Rights Policy and Latin America. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press–Century Foundation.
- 1990 The Gender of the Gift: Problems with Women and Problems with Society in Melanesia. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2007 Counting the Dead: The Culture and Politics of Human Rights Activism in Colombia. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2009 U.S. Human Rights Activism and Plan Colombia. Revista Colombia Internacional 69(Enero–Junio):50–69.
- 2011 Human Rights Law and Military Aid Delivery. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review 34(2):337–354.
- 2012 Intimate Enemies: Violence and Reconciliation in Peru. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 2011 Casualties of Care: Immigration and the Politics of Humanitarianism in France. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2000 The Global Situation. Cultural Anthropology 15(3):327–360.
- 2004 Friction: An Ethnography of Global Connection. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press.
- U.S. Office on Colombia (USOC) 2008 USOC Partners. http://www.usofficeoncolombia.com/USOC%20Partners/, accessed April 18.
- 2001 The Politics of Truth and Reconciliation in South Africa: Legitimizing the Post-Apartheid State. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2011 Humanitarianism and Suffering: The Mobilization of Empathy. New York : Cambridge University Press. , and , eds.