Clean fake: Authenticating documents and persons in migrant Moscow
Article first published online: 9 AUG 2013
© 2013 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 40, Issue 3, pages 508–524, August 2013
How to Cite
REEVES, M. (2013), Clean fake: Authenticating documents and persons in migrant Moscow. American Ethnologist, 40: 508–524. doi: 10.1111/amet.12036
- Issue published online: 9 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 9 AUG 2013
- Nuffield Foundation and Newnham College, Cambridge
- 2012 Etnografiia migratsiia. Special issue, Etnograficheskoe obozrenie 2012(4). , ed.
- 2006 Ethnic Profiling in the Moscow Metro. New York: Open Society Institute.
- 1998 Homo Sacer: Sovereign Power and Bare Life. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- 2005 State of Exception. Kevin Attell, trans. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2010 Latina Migrations to the U.S. Heartlands: “Illegality,” State Controls and Implications for Transborder Labor Rights. Latin American Perspectives 37(1):172–184.
- 2006 Biometric Borders: Governing Mobilities in the War on Terror. Political Geography 25(3):336–351.
- 2008 Illegal Immigrant: Victim or Villain? COMPAS Working Paper, WP-08-64. Oxford: Centre on Migration, Policy and Society, University of Oxford.
- 2010 Researching Illegality and Labor Migration. Population, Space and Place 16(1):175–179. , and
- 2004 Where Are the Margins of the State? In Anthropology in the Margins of the State. Veena Das and Deborah Poole, eds. Pp. 279–288. Santa Fe, NM: School of American Research Press.
- 2000 Social Issues of Law and Order. British Journal of Criminology 40(2):205–221.
- 2012 Put’ iz Kirgizii v Rossiiu i obratno: Kuda edut migrant. BBC Russian Service, January 31. http://www.bbc.co.uk/russian/international/2012/01/120130_kyrgyz_russian_passport.shtml, accessed March 28, 2013.
- 2011 Migration Routes and Strategies of Young Undocumented Migrants in England: A Qualitative Perspective. Ethnic and Racial Studies 34(8):1286–1302. , , and
- 2009 From the Enemy's Point of View: Violence, Empathy, and the Ethnography of Fakes. Cultural Anthropology 24(3):553–588.
- 2003 Spanish Immigration Law and the Construction of Difference: Citizens and “Illegals” on Europe's Southern Border. In Globalization under Construction: Governmentality, Law, and Identity. Richard Warren Perry and Bill Maurer, eds, Pp. 99–128. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. , and
- 2009 Thinking between the Posts: Postcolonialism, Postsocialism, and Ethnography after the Cold War. Comparative Studies in Society and History 51(1):6–34. , and
- 2007 The Condition of Illegality. International Migration 45(3):192–196.
- 2000 Legalizing Moves: Salvadoran Immigrants’ Struggle for U.S. Residency. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- 2005 Being En Route. American Anthropologist 107(2):195–206.
- 2010 A Tale of Networks and Policies: Prolegomena to an Analysis of Irregular Migration Careers and Their Developmental Paths. Population, Space and Place 16(3):213–255. , and
- 2008 Making People Illegal: What Globalization Means for Migration and Law. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2002 Migrant “Illegality” and Deportability in Everyday Life. Annual Review of Anthropology 31:419–447.
- 2005 Working the Boundaries: Race, Space, and “Illegality” in Mexican Chicago. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Economist 2012 Remittance Corridors: New Rivers of Gold. Economist, April 28. http://www.economist.com/node/21553458, accessed March 28, 2013.
- 2007 Marriage, Modernity and the “Friendship of Nations”: Inter-Ethnic Intimacy in Post-War Central Asia in Comparative Perspective. Central Asian Survey 26(4):581–599.
- 2005 The Truth from the Body: Medical Certificates as Ultimate Evidence for Asylum Seekers. American Anthropologist 107(4):597–608. , and
- 2008 Informal and Illicit Entrepreneurs: Fighting for a Place in the Neoliberal Economic Order. Anthropology of Work Review 29(2):19–25.
- 2010 City of Strangers: Gulf Migration and the Indian Community in Bahrain. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 2010 Willing to Work: Agency and Vulnerability in an Undocumented Immigrant Network. American Anthropologist 112(2):295–307.
- 2000 Migrant Rights and Activism in Malaysia: Opportunities and Constraints. Journal of Asian Studies 59(4):863–888.
- 2008 States, Markets, and Other Unexceptional Communities: Informal Romanian Labor in a Spanish Agricultural Zone. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 14(3):496–514.
- 2001 Class and Classification at the U.S.-Mexico Border. Human Organization 60(2):128–140.
- 1999 States and Illegal Practices: An Overview. In States and Illegal Practices. Josiah Heyman, ed. Pp. 1–24. Oxford: Berg. , and
- 2010 Immigrant “Illegality” as Neoliberal Governmentality in Leadville, Colorado. Antipode 42(1):75–101.
- 2007 “Oaxacans Like to Work Bent Over”: The Naturalization of Social Suffering among Berry Farm Workers. International Migration 45(3):39–68.
- Human Rights Watch 2009 “Are You Happy to Cheat Us?” Exploitation of Migrant Construction Workers in Russia. http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/russia0209web_0.pdf, accessed March 14, 2012.
- 2011 Leaving to Enable Others to Remain: Remittances and New Moral Economies of Migration in Southern Kyrgyzstan. Central Asian Survey 30(34):541–544.
- 2009 Broken Lines of Il/Legality and the Reproduction of State Sovereignty: The Impact of Visa Policies on Immigrants to Turkey from Bulgaria. Alternatives 34(2):203–227. , and
- 2006 Documented Lives: Fear and the Uncertainties of Law during the Second Palestinian Intifada. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 12(1):89–107.
- 2007 Labour Migration and Racialization: Labour Market Mechanisms and Labour Migration Control Policies in Israel. Social Identities 10(2):267–292.
- 2006 How Russia Really Works: The Informal Practices That Shaped Post-Soviet Politics and Business. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 1998 Your Eyes Are Green Like Dollars: Counterfeit Cash, National Substance, and Currency Apartheid in 1990s Russia. Cultural Anthropology 13(1):22–55.
- 2000 Between Two Fires: Gypsy Performance and Romani Memory from Pushkin to Postsocialism. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2010 Policing Migration in Soviet and Post-Soviet Moscow. Post-Soviet Affairs 26(4):275–313.
- 2009 Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Labor Migration from Kyrgyzstan to Russia. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan: OSCE. , and
- 2001 Skromnoe obaianie rasizma i drugie stat'i. Moscow: Dom intellektual'noi knigi.
- 2002 Migranty i rasizm. Neprikosnovennyi zapas 5(25). http://magazines.russ.ru/nz/2002/5/mal2.html, accessed March 28, 2013.
- 2009 Labor Migration in Central Asia: Implications of the Global Economic Crisis. Silk Road Paper. Washington, DC, and Stockholm: Central Asia-Caucasus Institute and Silk Road Studies Program.
- 1993 The Passport Society: Controlling Movement in Russia and the USSR. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- 2011 Contesting Citizenship: Irregular Migrants and New Frontiers of the Political. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Migrant.fergana.ru 2012 Rossiia: v khode operatsii ‘nelegal'nyi migrant’ v Moskve zaderzhanyi desiatki innostrannykh rabochikh. January 24. http://migrant.ferghana.ru/newslaw/chronicle/rossiya-v-hode-operatsii-«nelegalnyiy-migrant»-v-moskve-zaderzhanyi-desyatki-inostrannyih-rabochih.html, accessed March 28, 2013.
- 2011 Outlook for Remittance Flows 2012–14. Migration and Development Brief, 17. December 1. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/TOPICS/Resources/214970-1288877981391/MigrationandDevelopmentBrief17.pdf, accessed March 15, 2012. , , and
- Moscow Times 2012 Estimate: 3.5 Million Toil Illegally. Moscow Times, February 22. http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/estimate-35-million-migrants-toil-illegally/453456.html, accessed March 28, 2013.
- 2002 Chocolate and Cognac: Gifts and the Recognition of Social Worlds in Post-Soviet Russia. Ethnos: Journal of Anthropology 67(3):345–368.
- 2011 Introduction. In The Deportation Regime: Sovereignty, Space, and the Freedom of Movement. Nicholas De Genova and Nathalie Peutz, eds. Pp. 1–29. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. , and
- 1981 The Three Worlds, or, the Division of Social Scientific Labor, c. 1950–1975. Comparative Studies in Society and History 23(4):565–590.
- 2006 Destination Russia: Migration Policy Reform and Reality. In Handbook of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). Pp. 289–299. Baden-Baden: Nomos.
- 2010 On the Documentary Production of the “Undocumented Migrant” in Urban Russia. Eastbordnet Working Paper. http://www.eastbordnet.org/working_papers/open/documents/Reeves_On_the_documentary_production_of_the_undocumented_migrant_100629.pdf, accessed February 13, 2013.
- 2012 Black Work, Green Money: Remittances, Ritual and Domestic Economies in Southern Kyrgyzstan. Slavic Review 71(1):108–134.
- 2013 Kak stanoviatsia “chernym” v Moskve: Praktiki vlasti i sushchestvovanie migrantov v teni zakona. In Grazhdanstvo i immigratsiia: Kontseptual'noe, istoricheskoe i institutsional'noe izmerenie. Vladimir Malakhov, ed. Pp. 146–177. Moscow: Kanon+.
- RIA Novosti 2013 Moscow To Set Up Volunteer Patrols to Enforce Immigration Law. February 12. http://en.rian.ru/russia/20130212/179431601/Moscow-to-Set-Up-Volunteer-Patrols-to-Enforce-Immigration-Law.html, accessed March 28.
- 2002 “Honest Bandits” and “Warped People”: Russian Narratives about Money, Corruption, and Moral Decay. In Ethnography in Unstable Places: Everyday Lives in Contexts of Dramatic Political Change. Carol Greenhouse, Elizabeth Mertz, and Kay Warren, eds. Pp. 276–315. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2005 Bribes, Gifts and Unofficial Payments: Rethinking Corruption in Post-Soviet Russian Healthcare. In Corruption: Anthropological Perspectives. Dieter Haller and Cris Shore, eds. Pp. 47–64. London: Pluto Press.
- 2004 Transnational Tresspassings: The Geopolitics of Urban Informality. In Urban Informality: Transnational Perspectives from the Middle East, Latin America, and South Asia. Ananya Roy and Nezzar AlSayyad, eds. Pp. 289–317. New York: Lexington Books.
- 2005 Urban Informality: Toward an Epistemology of Planning. Journal of the American Planning Association 71(2):147–158.
- 2011 Slumdog Cities: Rethinking Subaltern Urbanism. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 35(2):223–238.
- 2010 Semi-Compliance and Illegality in Migrant Labor Markets: An Analysis of Migrants, Employers and the State in the UK. Population, Space and Place 16(3):95–211. , and
- 2012 Soviet “Blacks” and Place Making in Leningrad and Moscow. Slavic Review 71(2):331–358.
- 2003 Travel Agency: A Critique of Anti-Trafficking Campaigns. Refuge 21(3):53–65.
- 2012 “I Have Too Much Baggage”: The Impacts of Legal Status on the Social Worlds of Irregular Migrants. Social Anthropology 20(1):50–65.
- 2004 Rebordering the Mediterranean: Boundaries and Citizenship in Southern Europe. Oxford: Berghahn.
- Voronkov, Viktor, ed. 2011 Militsiia i etnicheskie migranty: Praktiki vzaimodeistviia. St. Petersburg: Ateleiia.
- 2006 “No Person Is Illegal”? Configurations and Experiences of “Illegality” among Undocumented West African and Filipino Migrant Workers in Tel Aviv, Israel. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology, Emory University.
- 2007 Toward a Critical Phenomenology of “Illegality”: State Power, Criminalization, and Abjectivity among Undocumented Migrant Workers in Tel Aviv, Israel. International Migration 45(3):8–36.
- World Bank 2011 Migration and Remittances Factbook 2011. 2nd edition. Washington DC: World Bank.
- 2009a Critical Theory and “Gray Space”: Mobilization of the Colonized. City 13(23):240–256.
- 2009b Theoretical Notes on “Gray Cities”: The Coming of Urban Apartheid? Planning Theory 8(1):87–99.
- YouTube.com 2010 Reid Rossii Molodoi i FMS. Posted by Alex Rostova, February 4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H8×0dtbMAI, accessed March 14, 2012.