Managing the margins: MBA training, international business, and “the value chain of culture”
Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2013
© 2013 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 40, Issue 4, pages 689–703, November 2013
How to Cite
ORTA, A. (2013), Managing the margins: MBA training, international business, and “the value chain of culture”. American Ethnologist, 40: 689–703. doi: 10.1111/amet.12048
- Issue online: 6 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2013
- University of Illinois
- 2005 International Marketing and Export Management. 5th edition. Harlow, UK: Financial Times Prentice Hall. , , and
- 1996 Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalization. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Arizona Memory Project N.d. Dr. William Lytle Schurz. http://azmemory.lib.az.us/cdm/ref/collection/tgmhistcoll/id/23, accessed June 7, 2012.
- Aspen Institute 2008 A Closer Look at Business Education: Finance Faculty Reflect on the Financial Crisis. December. Washington, DC: Aspen Institute Center for Business Education.
- 2004 Managing Mexico: Economists from Nationalism to Neoliberalism. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 2000 Going Global: Lessons from Late Movers. Harvard Business Review 78(2):32–142. , and
- 2004 Transnational Management: Text and Cases. 4th edition. New York: McGraw Hill. , , and
- 1991 The Modern Corporation and Private Property. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction. , and
- Buckley, Peter J., ed. 2005 What Is International Business? Houndmills, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2008 Consuming Class: Multilevel Marketers in Neoliberal Mexico. Cultural Anthropology 23(3):429–452.
- California Institute of Technology N.d. The American Universities Field Service. http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/133/1/Field.pdf, accessed September 29, 2011.
- 2007 An Essay on the Growing Contribution of Economic Markets to the Proliferation of the Social. Theory, Culture and Society 24(7–8):139–163.
- Cefkin, Melissa, ed. 2010 Ethnography and the Corporate Encounter: Reflections on Research in and of Corporations. New York: Berghahn Books.
- 2005 The Return of Bureaucracy: Managing Dispersed Knowledge in Global Finance. In The Sociology of Financial Markets. Karin Knorr Cetina and Alex Preda, eds. Pp. 229–249. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , and
- Clark, John J., and Blaise J. Opulente, eds. 1964 Professional Education for Business. Jamaica, NY: St. John's University Press.
- 2008 B-Schools and the Financial Bust. Business Week, November 24: 40–45.
- 2007 Exploring Intuition and Its Role in Managerial Decision Making. Academy of Management Review 32(1):33–54. , and
- 2003 Specialization to Infusion: IB Studies in the 1990s. In Leadership in International Business Education and Research, Vol. 8. Alan Rugman, ed. Pp. 29–46. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- 2010 Rethinking the MBA: Business Education at a Crossroads. Boston: Harvard Business Press. , , and
- 1999 Globalism and the Politics of Place. In Globalisation and the Asia-Pacific: Contested Territories. Kris Olds, Peter Dicken, Philip F. Kelly, Lily Kong, and Henry Wai-chung Yeung, eds. Pp. 39–56. London: Routledge.
- 2006 Introduction. In Frontiers of Capital: Ethnographic Reflections on the New Economy. Melissa S. Fisher and Greg Downey, eds. Pp. 1–30. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. , and
- 1995 Encountering Development. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 1998 Commensuration as Social Process. Annual Review of Sociology 24:313–343. , and
- 1994 A Personal Odyssey through the Early Evolution of International Business Pedagogy, Research and Professional Organization. Journal of International Business Studies 25(1):1–44.
- 1964 The Cultural Matrix of Business Education. In Professional Education for Business. John J. Clark and Blaise J. Opulente, eds. Pp. 1–13. Jamaica, NY: St. John's University Press.
- 2007 Redefining Global Strategy: Crossing Borders in a World Where Differences Still Matter. Cambridge. MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- 1959 Higher Education for Business. New York: Columbia University Press. , and
- 2004 Anthropology in Area Studies. Annual Review of Anthropology 33:499–523.
- 1918 Investments in Latin America and the British West Indies. Special Agents Series, 169. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Commerce.
- 2005 A Brief History of Neoliberalism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2001 When to Trust Your Gut. Harvard Business Review 79(2):59–65.
- 2005 Situating Global Capitalisms: A View from Wall Street Investment Banks. Cultural Anthropology 20(1):68–96.
- 2009 Liquidated: An Ethnography of Wall Street. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2008 Cultures of Expertise and the Management of Globalization. In Global Assemblages: Technology, Politics, and Ethics as Anthropological Problems. Aihwa Ong and Stephen J. Collier, eds. Pp. 235–252. Malden, MA: Blackwell. , and
- 2010 Strategic Decisions: When Can You Trust Your Gut? McKinsey Quarterly, March. , and
- 2005 Price Theory and Applications. 6th edition. Mason, OH: Thomson South-Western.
- 2002 Cultures of Circulation: The Imaginations of Modernity. Public Culture 14(1):191–213. , and
- 1983 The Globalization of Markets. Harvard Business Review, May. http://hbr.org/1983/05/the-globalization-of-markets, accessed January 9, 2009.
- 2008 Fragmented Lives, Assembled Parts: Culture, Capitalism, and Conquest at the U.S.-Mexico Border. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- 2006 An Engine, Not a Camera: How Financial Models Shape Markets. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 1977 The Communist Manifesto. In Karl Marx: Selected Writings. David McLellan, ed. Pp. 219–147. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , and
- 1986 The German Ideology, Part I. New York: International. , and
- Miller, Daniel, ed. 1995 Worlds Apart: Modernity through the Prism of the Local. London: Routledge.
- 2011 Business Education: Would the Economy Be Better Off without MBA Students? Economist. http://www.economist.com/debate/days/view/900, accessed November 29, 2012. , and
- 1999 The Politics of Management Thought: A Case Study of the Harvard Business School and Human Relations School. Academy of Management Review 24(1):117–131.
- 2008 Cultures on the Brink: Reengineering the Soul of Capitalism—On a Global Scale. In Global Assemblages: Technology, Politics, and Ethics as Anthropological Problems. Aihwa Ong and Stephen J. Collier, eds. Pp. 270–290. Malden, MA: Blackwell. , and
- 2002 Neoliberalizing Space. Antipode 34(3):380–404. , and
- 2012 Are Business Schools Clueless or Evil? Harvard Business Review Blog Network. http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/11/are_business_schools_clueless.html, accessed November 14.
- 1959 The Education of American Businessmen: A Study of University-College Programs in Business Administration. New York: McGraw Hill.
- 1981 The Three Worlds, or the Division of Social Scientific Labor, circa 1950–1975. Comparative Studies in Society and History 23(4):565–590.
- 2002 Financial Knowledge, Documents and the Structure of Financial Activity. Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 31(2):207–239.
- 1994 The Cultures of Area Studies in the United States. Social Text 41:91–111.
- 2009 The Economic Crisis as a Time for IB to Lead. AIB Insights 9(3):4–7.
- 1821 On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation. London: John Murray.
- 2010 Collateral Expertise: Legal Knowledge in the Global Financial Markets. Current Anthropology 51(6):795–818.
- 2003 Internationalization in the 1970s and 2000. In Leadership in International Business Education and Research, Vol. 8. Alan M. Rugman, ed. Pp. 3–18. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- 2004 A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises. Journal of International Business Studies 35:3–18. , and
- 2003 The Political Economy of Emerging Markets: Actors, Institutions and Financial Crises in Latin America. New York: Palgrave.
- 1921 Bolivia: A Commercial and Industrial Handbook. Special Agents Series, 208. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Commerce.
- 1941 Latin America: A Descriptive Survey. New York: Dutton.
- 1994 An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations. New York: Random House.
- 2003 Globalization and Its Discontents. New York: W. W. Norton.
- 1984 Culture as History: The Transformation of American Society in the Twentieth Century. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
- 2004 The Politics of Knowledge: Area Studies and the Disciplines. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1999 The Globalization of the System of Business Knowledge. In Globalisation and the Asia-Pacific: Contested Territories. Kris Olds, Peter Dicken, Phillip P. Kelly, Lily Kong, and Henry Wai-chung Yeung, eds. Pp. 57–71. London: Routledge.
- 2000 Performing Cultures in the New Economy. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 90(4):674–692.
- 2006 Reinventing Invention: New Tendencies in Capitalist Commodification. Economy and Society 35(2):279–306.
- 2000 Inside the Economy of Appearances. Public Culture 12(1):115–144.
- 2004 Friction: An Ethnography of Global Connections. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Weaver, Thomas, James B. Greenberg, William L. Alexander, and Anne Browning-Aiken, eds. 2012 Neoliberalism and Commodity Production in Mexico. Boulder: University Press of Colorado.
- 1942 Review of Latin America: A Descriptive History. American Economic Review 32(3):588–590.
- 2006 International Business: The Challenges of Globalization. 3rd edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall. , , and
- 1995 Learning to Be Local in Belize: Global Systems of Common Difference. In Modernity through the Prism of the Local. Daniel Miller, ed. Pp. 110–133. London: Routledge.
- 2005 Debt for Sale: A Social History of the Credit Trap. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 1990 The Machine That Changed the World: The Story of Lean Production. New York: HarperCollins. , , and