Urban mosquitoes, situational publics, and the pursuit of interspecies separation in Dar es Salaam
Version of Record online: 25 APR 2014
© 2014 by the American Anthropological Association
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 41, Issue 2, pages 368–383, May 2014
How to Cite
KELLY, A. H. and LEZAUN, J. (2014), Urban mosquitoes, situational publics, and the pursuit of interspecies separation in Dar es Salaam. American Ethnologist, 41: 368–383. doi: 10.1111/amet.12081
- Issue online: 25 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 APR 2014
- 2005 Local Community on Trial. Economy and Society 34(4):612–633.
- 2008 Collective Culture and Urban Public Space. City 12(1):5–24.
- 2013 Between Politics and Cosmopolitics: The Invention of Informed Materials. Paper presented at the “What Is Cosmopolitical Design?” symposium, School of Architecture, Princeton University, April 12.
- 2007 The Emerging Metropolis: A Short History of Dar es Salaam, circa 1862–2000. In Dar es Salaam: Histories from an Emerging African Metropolis. James Brennan, Andrew Burton, and Yusuf Lawi, eds. Pp. 13–69. Dar es Salaam and Nairobi: Mkuki na Nyota and British Institute in Eastern Africa. , and
- 2000 Peri-Urban Development in an Era of Structural Adjustment in Africa: The City of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Urban Studies 37(4):797–809. , and
- Material Proximities and Hotspots: Towards an Anthropology of Viral Haemorrhagic Fevers. Medical Anthropology Quarterly. , and In press
- 2003 Townsmen in the Making: Social Engineering and Citizenship in Dar es Salaam, c.1945–1960. International Journal of African Historical Studies 36(2):331–365.
- 2004 Integrated Urban Malaria Control: A Case Study in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 71(2 suppl.):103–117. , , , , , , and
- 2010 “I Fell in Love with Carlos the Meerkat”: Engagement and Detachment in Human–Animal Relations. American Ethnologist 37(2):241–258.
- Cassidy, Rebecca, and Molly Mullin, eds. 2007 Where the Wild Things Are Now: Domestication Reconsidered. Oxford: Berg.
- 2011 Community Owned Resource Persons for Malaria Vector Control: Enabling Factors and Challenges in an Operational Programme in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Human Resources for Health 9(21). doi:10.1186/1478-4491–9–21. http://www.human-resources-health.com/content/9/1/21, accessed February 5, 2014. , , , , and
- 2012 Animals as Domesticates: A World View through History. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press.
- 1967 Malaria in Tanzania. London: Oxford University Press.
- Dar es Salaam City Medical Office 2004 Integrated Malaria Control in Dar es Salaam as a Model for Urban Programmes in Sub-Saharan Africa. Dar es Salaam: City Medical Office.
- Dar es Salaam Urban Malaria Control Programme (UMCP) 2006 Larval Control Interventions in Dar es Salaam Guidelines: Background Information and Operational Procedures. Dar es Salaam: City Medical Office, Dar es Salaam City Council.
- Dar es Salaam Urban Malaria Control Programme (UMCP) N.d. Guidelines for 10-Cell Unit Mapping to Be Carried Out by the Community Owned Resource Persons and the Ward Malaria Vector Control Supervisors. Dar es Salaam: City Medical Office of Health, Dar es Salaam City Council.
- 2012 Infrastructure: Commentary from Filip De Boeck. Curated Collections, Cultural Anthropology Online, November 26. http://www.culanth.org/curatedlections/11-infrastructure/discussions/7-infrastructure-commentary-from-filip-de-boeck, accessed February 5, 2014.
- 2010 Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) and Norms of Participation in Tanzania: Working against the Grain. African Studies Review 53(2):23–48.
- 2007 Participatory Mapping of Target Areas to Enable Operational Larval Source Management to Suppress Malaria Vector Mosquitoes in Dar es Salaam. Journal of Health Geographics 6(37). doi:10.1186/1476-072X-6–37. http://www.ij-healthgeographics.com/content/6/1/37, accessed February 5, 2014. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2008 The Shock of the Old: Technology and Global History since 1900. London: Profile.
- 1996 Redefining Nature: Ecology, Culture and Domestication. Oxford: Berg. , and
- 2008 Governing Gaza: Bureaucracy, Authority, and the Work of Rule, 1917–1967. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2008 A Tool Box for Operational Mosquito Larval Control: Preliminary Results and Early Lessons from the Urban Malaria Control Programme in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Malaria Journal 7(20). doi:10.1186/1475-2875–7–20. http://www.malariajournal.com/content/7/1/20, accessed February 5, 2014. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1980 The Ancient City: A Study on the Religion, Laws and Institutions of Greece and Rome. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 2007 Interdependence of Domestic Malaria Prevention Measures and Mosquito-Human Interactions in Urban Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Malaria Journal 6(126). doi:10.1186/1475-2875–6–126. http://www.malariajournal.com/content/6/1/126/, accessed February 5, 2014. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2009 Microbial Larvicide Application by a Large-Scale, Community-Based Program Reduces Malaria Infection Prevalence in Urban Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. PLoS ONE 4(3). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0005107. http://www.plosone.org/article/comments/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0005107;jsessionid=D075C5C426F4BBD127BCE0A5BB61F55C, accessed February 5, 2015. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2007 Out of Order: Understanding Repair and Maintenance. Theory, Culture and Society 24(3):1–25. , and
- 2010 Making Development Agents: Participation as Boundary Object in International Development. Journal of Development Studies 46:1240–1263.
- 2008 When Species Meet. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- 2005 Urbanization, Malaria Transmission and Disease Burden in Africa. Nature Reviews Microbiology 3(1):81–90. , , , , and
- 2000 States and Power in Africa: Comparative Lessons in Authority and Control. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 2006 Living Cities: Towards a Politics of Conviviality. Science as Culture 15(2):123–138. , and
- 1990 The Domestication of Europe: Structure and Contingency in Neolithic Societies. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- 1980 Beyond Ujamaa in Tanzania: Underdevelopment and an Uncaptured Peasantry. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2008 Bindings against Boundaries: Entanglements of Life in an Open World. Environment and Planning A 40:1796–1810.
- 2007 “A Very Real War”: Popular Participation in Development in Tanzania during the 1950s and 1960s. International Journal of African Historical Studies 40(1):71–95.
- 2004 Urbanization in Sub-Saharan Africa and Implication for Malaria Control. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 71(2 suppl.):118–127. , , , , , and
- 2011 Will He Be There? Mediating Malaria, Immobilizing Science. Journal of Cultural Economy 4(1):65–79.
- 2012 The Experimental Hut: Hospitable Vectors. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 8(1 suppl.):s145–s160.
- 2013 Snaring Vectors. Limn 3. http://limn.it/snaring-vectors/, accessed February 5, 2014.
- 2013 Walking or Waiting? Topologies of the Breeding Ground in Malaria Control. Science as Culture 22(1):86–107. , and
- 1985 The Role of the National Institute for Medical Research in Improving Public Health: The Support from Research and Technological Developments. Annali dell’Istituto Superiore di Sanità 21(4):439–444.
- 2002 Eradication of Anopheles gambiae from Brazil: Lessons for Malaria Control in Africa? Lancet Infectious Diseases 2(10):618–627. , , , , and
- 1995 Access to Land by the Urban Poor in Tanzania: Some Findings from Dar es Salaam. Environment and Urbanization 7:77–96.
- 2007 Race, Class and Housing in Dar es Salaam: The Colonial Impact on Land Use Structure 1891–1961. In Dar es Salaam: Histories from an Emerging African Metropolis. James Brennan, Andrew Burton, and Yusuf Lawi, eds. Pp. 97–117. Dar es Salaam and Nairobi: Mkuki na Nyota and British Institute in Eastern Africa.
- 2010 The Emergence of Multispecies Ethnography. Cultural Anthropology 25(4):545–576. , and
- 2007 How Dogs Dream: Amazonian Natures and the Politics of Transspecies Engagement. American Ethnologist 34(1):3–24.
- 2002 Community Participation in Urban Infrastructure Provision: Servicing Informal Settlements in Dar es Salaam. Spring Research Series, 33. Dortmund: University of Dortmund.
- 2008 The Depoliticisation of Development and the Democratisation of Politics in Tanzania: Parallel Structures as Obstacles to Delivering Services to the Poor. Journal of Development Studies 44(8):1122–1144.
- 2005 Human Domestication Reconsidered. Current Anthropology 44(3):349–368.
- 1937 The Mosquitos of the funestus Series in East Africa. Bulletin of Entomological Research 28(4):587–603.
- 2007 Viewing Postcolonial Dar es Salaam, Tanzania through Civic Spaces: A Question of Class. African Identities 5(2):199–215.
- 2011 Bees, Beekeepers, and Bureaucrats: Parasitism and the Politics of Transgenic Life. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 29(4):738–756.
- 2011 Interspecies. Social Text 29(1):3–14. , and
- 1937 Second (Final) Report of the Malarial Unit, Dar es Salaam. Dar es Salaam: Government Printer.
- 1963 The Urban Mosquito Hazard Today. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 29 (Suppl.): 135–139.
- Ministry of Health, United Republic of Tanzania 2003 National Malarial Medium Term Strategic Plan 2003–2007. http://www.rbm.who.int/countryaction/nsp/tanzania.pdf, accessed February 5, 2014.
- 2002 Can the Mosquito Speak? In Rule of Experts: Egypt, Techno-Politics, and Modernity. Pp. 19–54. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2006 Ecologists Can Enable Communities to Implement Malaria Vector Control in Africa. Malaria Journal 5(9). doi:10.1186/1475-2875–5–9. http://www.malariajournal.com/content/5/1/9, accessed February 5, 2014. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- Mwaluko, G. M. P., W. L. Kilama, P. M. Mandara, M. Murru, and C. N. L. Macpherson, eds. 1991 Health and Disease in Tanzania. London: Harper Collins Academic.
- 2012 Dengue Mosquitoes Are Single Mothers: Biopolitics Meets Ecological Aesthetics in Nicaraguan Community Health Work. Cultural Anthropology 27(4):572–596.
- 2007 The Making of a Tropical Disease: A Short History of Malaria. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 2010 Insectopedia. New York: Pantheon.
- 2005 Habitat Characterization and Spatial Distribution of Anopheles sp. Mosquito Larvae in Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) during an Extended Dry Period. Malaria Journal 4(4). doi:10.1186/1475-2875–4–4. http://www.malariajournal.com/content/4/1/4, accessed February 5, 2014. , , , , , , and
- 1999 Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 1963 Public Health Services in Dar Es Salaam in the Twenties. East African Medical Journal 40:339–353.
- 2004 For the City Yet to Come: Changing African Life in Four Cities. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2000 The Invention of Modern Science. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- 2008 Along the Archival Grain: Epistemic Anxieties and Colonial Common Sense. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 2008 Healing the Land and the Nation: Malaria and the Zionist Project in Palestine, 1920–1947. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2007 Nature's Agents or Agents of Empire. Isis 98(4):724–754.
- 1964 The Health Services of Tanganyika: A Report to the Government. African Medical and Research Foundation. London: Pitman Medical.
- 1997 Changing the Rules: The Politics of Liberalization and the Urban Informal Economy in Tanzania. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2006 Community Based Surveillance of Malaria Vector Larval Habitats: A Baseline Study in Urban Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. BMC Public Health 6(154). doi:10.1186/1471-2458–6–154. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471--2458/6/154, accessed February 5, 2014. , , , , , , , , and
- 1988 Malaria Control in Tanzania. Environment International 14:479–483. , and