Organisation and planning of anaesthesia for emergency surgery
Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2012
Anaesthesia © 2012 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Special Issue: Emergencies and the Anaesthetist
Volume 68, Issue Supplement s1, pages 3–13, January 2013
How to Cite
Gray, L. D. and Morris, C. G. (2013), Organisation and planning of anaesthesia for emergency surgery. Anaesthesia, 68: 3–13. doi: 10.1111/anae.12054
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2012
- Accepted: 25 September 2012
- 1NHS The Information Centre for Health and Social Care. Hospital episode statistics online, 2011. http://www.hesonline.nhs.uk/Ease/servlet/ContentServer?siteID=1937&categoryID=207 (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 2Department of Health and Doctor Foster Holdings LLP. Doctor Foster Intelligence. Inside your hospital: Dr Foster hospital guide 2001–2011, 2011. http://www.drfosterintelligence.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Hospital_Guide_2011.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 3National Confidential Enquiry into Perioperative Deaths. Classification of intervention, 2004. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/pdf/NCEPODClassification.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 4The 2003 Report of the National Confidential Enquiry into Perioperative Deaths. London: NCEPOD, 2003. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/pdf/2003/03full.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012)., , , , , .
- 5National Confidential Enquiry into Perioperative Deaths. Who Operates When? A Report by the National Confidential Enquiry into Perioperative Deaths 1995/6. London: NCEPOD,1997. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/pdf/1995_6/Full Report 1995–1996.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 6National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. Knowing the Risk: A Review of the Peri-Operative Care of Surgical Patients. London: NCEPOD, 2011. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2011report2/downloads/POC_fullreport.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 7Improving surgical outcomes group. Modernising Care for Patients Undergoing Major Surgery, 2005. http://www.reducinglengthofstay.org.uk/doc/isog_report.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 8The Royal College of Surgeons of England and Department of Health. The Higher Risk General Surgical Patient: Towards Improved Care for a Forgotten Group. London: RCSE, 2011. http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/publications/docs/higher-risk-surgi-cal-patient/ (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 9National Patient Safety Agency. Patient Safety Alert: Who Surgical Safety Checklist, 2009. http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/alerts/?entryid45=59860 (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 13Identification and characterisation of the high-risk surgical population in the United Kingdom. Critical Care2006; 10: R81., , , et al.
- 14National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. An Age Old Problem: A Review of the Care Received by Elderly Patients Undergoing Surgery. London: NCEPOD, 2010. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2010report3/downloads/EESE_fullReport.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 16NHS National Patient Safety Agency. ‘How to Guide’: Five steps to safer surgery, 2010. http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/EasySiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=93286&type=full&servicetype=Attachment (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 17The Royal College of Surgeons of England. Emergency Surgery: Standards for Unscheduled Surgical Care. Guidance for Providers, Commissioners and Service Planners. London: RCSE, 2011. http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/publications/docs/emergency-surgery-standards-for-unscheduled-care (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 18NHS Networks. Emergency Laparotomy Network, 2012. http://www.networks.nhs.uk/nhs-networks/emergency-laparotomy-network (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 20National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. NICE medical technologies guidance 3, 2011. http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/MTG3 (accessed 07/09/12).
- 23Surviving sepsis campaign. Severe Sepsis Bundles, 2008. http://www.survivingsepsis.org/Bundles/Pages/default.aspx (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 24Institute for healthcare improvement. Implement the IHI Ventilator Bundle, 2011. http://www.ihi.org/knowledge/pages/changes/Implementtheventilatorbundle.aspx (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 25NHS National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence and the National Patient Safety Agency. Technical patient safety solutions for ventilator-associated pneumonia in adults, 2008. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/12053/41684/41684.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 27National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. NICE clinical guidance 50. Acutely ill patients in hospital: recognition of and response to acute illness in adults in hospital, 2007. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11810/58247/58247.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 29Analysis of modified early warning system scores and intraoperative factors on the incidence of sepsis and septic shock after elective major surgery. Critical Care2010; 14 (Suppl. 1): P258., , , , .
- 30Impact of a systematic MEWS introduction on preoperative and postoperative evaluation in urgent/emergency surgery. Critical Care2010; 14 (Suppl. 1): P255., , , et al.
- 33Department of Health. Comprehensive Critical Care: A Review of Adult Critical Care Services. London: Department of Health, 2000.
- 34Intensive Care Society. Standards and Guidelines: Levels of Critical Care for Adult Patients, 2009. http://www.ics.ac.uk/intensive_care_professional/standards_and_guidelines/levels_of_critical_care_for_adult_patients (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 36Blood pressure at which rebleeding occurs after resuscitation in swine with aortic injury. Journal of Trauma2003; 5 (Suppl.): S110–7., , .
- 38The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland. AAGBI Safety Guideline: Interhospital Transfer, 2009. http://www.aagbi.org/sites/default/files/interhospital09.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 39The Intensive Care Society. Guidelines for the transport of the critically ill adult (3rd Edition), 2011. http://www.ics.ac.uk/intensive_care_professional/standards_and_guidelines/transport_of_the_critically_ill_adult (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 40Royal College of Anaesthetists Guidance: Anaesthetic Services in Remote Sites, 2011. http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/document-store/anaesthetic-services-remote-sites (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 44American Society of Anesthesiologists. New classification of physical status. Anesthesiology1963; 24: 111. Online version available, 2012. http://www.asahq.org/clinical/physicalstatus.htm (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 48Risk prediction in surgery, 2012. http://www.riskprediction.org.uk (accessed 07/09/2012)., .
- 59Lactate – the bad boy of metabolism, or simply misunderstood?Current Anaesthesia and Critical Care2006; 17: 71–6..
- 70Source control in the management of severe sepsis and septic shock: an evidence-based review. Critical Care Medicine2004; 11 (Suppl.): S513–26., , , .
- 73The crystalloid versus hydroxyethyl starch trial: protocol for a multi-centre randomised controlled trial of fluid resuscitation with 6% hydroxyethyl starch (130/0.4) compared to 0.9% sodium chloride (saline) in intensive care patients on mortality. Intensive Care Medicine2011; 37: 816–23..
- 79The withdrawal of Xigris. Journal of the Intensive Care Society2012; 13: 7–9., .
- 83Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Acute Kidney Injury Work Group. KDIGO Clinical Practice Guideline for Acute Kidney Injury. Kidney International Supplements2012; 2: 1–138.
- 84National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. Adding insult to injury: a review of the care of patients who died in hospital with a primary diagnosis of acute kidney injury (acute renal failure), 2009. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2009report1/Downloads/AKI_report.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 87Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland. Catastrophes in Anaesthetic Practice – Dealing With the Aftermath. London: AAGBI, 2005. http://www.aagbi.org/sites/default/files/catastrophes05.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 88National Confidential Enquiry Into Perioperative Deaths. Functioning as a Team? The 2002 Report of the National Confidential Enquiry into Perioperative Deaths. London: NCEPOD, 2002. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/pdf/2002/02full.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 90Australia and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists. Safety of Anaesthesia: A Review of Anaesthesia Mortality Reporting in Australia and New Zealand 2006–2008. Editor: Gibbs N. Australia: ANZCA, 2012. http://www.anzca.edu.au/resources/college-publications/pdfs/ANZCA Mortality Report FINAL.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 91The Royal College of Anaesthetists and The Difficult Airway Society. 4th National Audit Project of the Royal College of Anaesthetists and The Difficult Airway Society: Major complications of airway management in the United Kingdom. London: RCoA, 2011. http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/node/4211 (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 92Anaphylaxis. Continuing Education in Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain2004; 4: 111–13., .
- 93The Royal College of Anaesthetists. NAP3 The 3rd National Audit Project of The Royal College of Anaesthetists: Major complications of central neuraxial block in the United Kingdom. London: RCoA, 2009. http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/nap3 (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 94Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation. Clinical resources: adverse events protocol, 2010. http://www.apsf.org/resources_safety_protocol.php (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 98Medical Protection Society (MPS). England factsheet: removal of medical equipment after death, 2012. http://www.medicalprotection.org/uk/england-factsheets/removal-of-medical-equipment-after-death (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 99Medical Protection Society (MPS). http://www.medicalprotection.org.uk (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 100The Medical Defence Union (MDU). http://www.the-mdu.com (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 101Diagnosis of death. Continuing Education in Anaesthesia Critical Care and Pain2011; 11: 77–81., .
- 103Psychological debriefing for preventing post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews2002; 2: CD000560., , , .
- 105World Health Organization. Single-session psychological debriefing: not recommended, 2003. http://www.who.int/hac/techguidance/pht/13643.pdf (accessed 07/09/2012).
- 106Multiple session early psychological interventions for the prevention of post-traumatic stress disorder. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews2009; 3: CD006869., , , .