You can respond to this article at http://www.anaesthesiacorrespondence.com
Prophylactic use of oxytocin at caesarean section: where are the guidelines?
Article first published online: 15 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Volume 68, Issue 10, pages 1006–1009, October 2013
How to Cite
Weale, N. and Laxton, C. (2013), Prophylactic use of oxytocin at caesarean section: where are the guidelines?. Anaesthesia, 68: 1006–1009. doi: 10.1111/anae.12337
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 15 AUG 2013
- 3Centre for Maternal and Child Enquiries (CMACE). Saving Mothers' Lives: reviewing maternal deaths to make motherhood safer: 2006–08. The Eighth Report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2011; 118: 1–203.
- 8Why Mothers Die 1997–1999. The Fifth Report of the Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. London: RCOG Press, 2001., ed.
- 10Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Post partum haemorrhage prevention and management. Green-top guideline 52. London: RCOG press, 2009.
- 11Joint Formulary Committee. British National Formulary. London: BMJ Group and Pharmaceutical Press http://www.medicinescomplete.com/mc/bnf/current/PHP4781-syntocinon.htm?q=oxytocin&t=search&ss=text&p=3#PHP4781-syntocinon (accessed 15/04/2013).
- 13Oxytocin administration during cesarean delivery: randomised controlled trial to compare intravenous bolus with intravenous infusion regime. Journal of Anesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology 2013; 29: 32–5., , , , .
- 20Pharmacokinetics of carbetocin, a long acting oxytocin analogue, in non-pregnant women. Current Therapeutic Research 1990; 47: 528–40., , , et al.
- 21Carbetocin versus oxytocin for the prevention of postpartum haemorrhage following caesarean section: the results of a double blinded randomised trial. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2010; 117: 929–36., , , et al.
- 23Carbetocin for preventing postpartum haemorrhage. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012; 4: CD005457., , .
- 24Joint Formulary Committee. British National Formulary. London: BMJ Group and Pharmaceutical Press http://www.medicinescomplete.com/mc/bnf/current/PHP4765-carbetocin.htm (accessed 15/04/2013).