You can respond to this article at http://www.anaesthesiacorrespondence.com
Pain policy and abuse of prescription opioids in the USA: a cautionary tale for Europe
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Volume 68, Issue 12, pages 1210–1215, December 2013
How to Cite
Kotecha, M. K. and Sites, B. D. (2013), Pain policy and abuse of prescription opioids in the USA: a cautionary tale for Europe. Anaesthesia, 68: 1210–1215. doi: 10.1111/anae.12450
- Issue published online: 12 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
- ASA Committee on Professional Diversity Mentorship
- 1The Joint Commission. Facts about pain management. http://www.jointcommission.org/pain_management/ (accessed 27/08/2013).
- 2Institute of Medicine. Relieving Pain in America: a Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2011.
- 4European Federation of IASP Chapters. EFIC's declaration on chronic pain as a major healthcare problem, a disease in its own right. Presented at the European Parliament, Brussels, Belgium, October 9, 2001. http://www.iasp-pain.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Press_Release&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=2915 (accessed 28/07/2013).
- 5World Health Organization. World Health Organization supports global effort to relieve chronic pain, 2004. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2004/pr70/en/ (accessed 27/07/2013).
- 6Agency for Health Care Quality and Research. Acute pain management: operative or medical procedures and trauma, Part 1. Clinical Pharmacology 1992; 11: 309–31.
- 7Agency for Health Care Quality and Research. Acute pain management: operative or medical procedures and trauma, Part 2. Clinical Pharmacology 1992; 11: 391–414.
- 9U.S. urges doctors to fight surgical pain (and myths). New York Times March 6, 1992. http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/06/us/us-urges-doctors-to-fight-surgical-pain-and-myths.html. (accessed 27/08/2013)..
- 11Quality assurance standards for relief of acute pain and cancer pain. In: Bond MR CJ, Woolf CJ, eds. Proceedings of the VI World Congress on Pain. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier, 1991:185–9..
- 12The Joint Commission. About the Joint Commission. http://www.jointcommission.org/about_us/about_the_joint_commission_main.aspx (accessed 27/08/2013).
- 13U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Pain as the 5th Vital Sign Toolkit, 2000. http://www.va.gov/PAINMANAGEMENT/docs/TOOLKIT.pdf (accessed 27/08/2013).
- 15The painful truth about Nevada: many Nevadans crave painkillers, and some doctors oblige. Las Vegas Sun, July 6, 2008. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jul/06/painful-truth-about-painkillers/ (accessed 27/08/2013)., .
- 18Executive Office of the President of the United States. Epidemic: responding to America's prescription drug abuse crisis. http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/ondcp/issues-content/prescriptiondrugs/rx abuse plan.pdf (accessed 23/08/2013).
- 22Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital signs: overdoses of prescription opioid pain relievers – United States, 1999–2008. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2011; 60: 1487–92.
- 24Frost & Sullivan Management Market. U.S. opioid pain management market, 2010. http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/report-brochure.pag?id=N72F-01-00-00-00 (accessed 23/08/2013).
- 28Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Emergency department visits involving nonmedical use of selected prescription drugs – United States, 2004-2008. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2010; 59: 705–9.
- 30Drug Abuse Warning Network. National estimates of drug-related emergency department visits, 2006. http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/SAMHDA/studies/33221?q=emergency+department+visits+2006&x=0&y=0 (accessed 27/08/2013).
- 31Prescription drug abuse: what is being done to address this new drug epidemic? Testimony before the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources. Pain Physician 2006; 9: 287–321..
- 32The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University (CASA). Under the counter. The diversion and abuse of controlled prescription drugs in the U.S. 2005. http://www.casacolumbia.org/articlefiles/380-Under%20the%20Counter%20-%20Diversion.pdf (accessed 27/08/2013).
- 33Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Policy impact: prescription painkiller overdoses, 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/rxbrief (accessed 27/08/2013).
- 36Opioids for chronic low-back pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007; 18: CD004959., , , , .
- 37Methadone for chronic non-cancer pain in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012; 11: CD008025., , .
- 41International Narcotics Control Board. Report of the International Narcotics Control Board for 2006. http://www.incb.org/documents/Publications/annualReports/AR2006/AR_06_English.pdf (accessed 28/07/2013).
- 42United Nations Office of Drug and Crime. World drug report 2011. http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/WDR-2011.html (accessed 07/08/2013).
- 43European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction. The state of the drugs problem in Europe, 2011. http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publications/annual-report/2011 (accessed 28/07/2013).