You can respond to this article at http://www.anaesthesiacorrespondence.com
Ethical and legal aspects of anaesthesia for the elderly
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Special Issue: Anaesthesia for the Elderly
Volume 69, Issue Supplement s1, pages 45–53, January 2014
How to Cite
White, S. M. (2014), Ethical and legal aspects of anaesthesia for the elderly. Anaesthesia, 69: 45–53. doi: 10.1111/anae.12519
- Issue online: 5 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 OCT 2013
- 3Work longer, live healthier. The relationship between economic activity, health and government policy. 2013. http://www.iea.org.uk/sites/default/files/in-the-media/files/Work%20Longer,%20Live_Healthier.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013)..
- 4The impact of working beyond traditional retirement ages on mental health: implications for public health and welfare policy. Public Health Reviews 2010; 32: 532–48., , .
- 6European Social Survey. Experiences and expressions of ageism: topline results (UK) from round 4 of the European Social Survey. 2012. http://www.europeansocialsurvey.org/docs/findings/ESS4_gb_toplines_experiences_and_expressions_of_ageism.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 10The Ethics of Caring for Older People, 2nd edn. London: BMJ Books, 2009: 1pp., .
- 11General Medical Council. Good medical practice paras 56, 57, 59, 60. http://www.gmc-uk.org/Guidance/good_medical_practice/treat_fairly.asp (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 12British Geriatrics Society. Peri-operative care for older patients undergoing surgery. http://www.bgs.org.uk/index.php/topresources/publicationfind/goodpractice/2402-bpg-pop (accessed 19/10/2013).,
- 15Centre for policy on ageing. Ageism and age discrimination in secondary health care in the United Kingdom. 2009. http://www.cpa.org.uk/information/reviews/CPA-ageism_and_age_discrimination_in_secondary_health_care-report.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 16Department of Health. National Service Framework for Older People. London: Department of Health, 2001. www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/07/12/83/04071283.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 18National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. Elective and emergency surgery in the elderly: an age old problem. 2010. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2010report3/downloads/EESE_fullReport.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 19The Mid-Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Public Inquiry. Final report. 2013. http://www.midstaffspublicinquiry.com/report (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 20Health Service Ombudsman. Care and compassion? 2011. http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7216/Care-and-Compassion-PHSO-0114web.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 21Royal College of Physicians’ response to the report of The Mid-Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Public Inquiry. 2013. http://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/sites/default/files/francis-inquiry-detailed-response.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 22Dignity in practice: an exploration of the care of older adults in acute NHS Trusts. 2011. http://www.netscc.ac.uk/hsdr/files/project/SDO_FR_08-1819-218_V02.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013)., , , , , .
- 23NHS Confederation. Delivering dignity. Securing dignity in care for older people in hospitals and care homes. 2012. http://www.nhsconfed.org/Documents/dignity.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 24Department of Health. Implementing a ban on age discrimination in the NHS – making effective, appropriate decisions. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/212944/ban-on-age-discrimination.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 29House of Lords and House of Commons Joint Committee on Human Rights. The Human Rights of Older People in Healthcare. 2007. http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/jt200607/jtselect/jtrights/156/156i.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 30Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/19/contents (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 31Disability Discrimination Act 2005. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/13/contents (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 34“I wouldn't want to become a nuisance under any circumstances” – a qualitative study of the reasons some healthy older individuals support medical practices that hasten death. New Zealand Medical Journal 2012; 125: 9–19., , .
- 35What a ‘duty of candour’ means in practice. Health Services Journal 2013. http://www.hsj.co.uk/opinion/what-a-duty-of-candour-means-in-practice/5055056.article#.Ukg1BpXIuJU (accessed 28/09/2013)..
- 36Appendix. Important legal cases. In: White SM, Baldwin TJ. Legal and Ethical Issues in Critical Care and Perioperative Medicine, Chapter 14. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004: 191–211., .
- 37on behalf of the Medical Research Council Cognitive Function and Ageing Collaboration. A two-decade comparison of prevalence of dementia in individuals aged 65 years and older from three geographical areas of England: results of the Cognitive Function and Ageing Study I and II. Lancet 2013; 382: 1405–12., , , et al.,
- 38A report into the prevalence and cost of dementia. www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/download.php?fileID=1PDF file (accessed 19/10/2013)., , .
- 39Incapacity – learning impaired, dementia, mental and emotional disturbance. In: Hardmann JG, Moppett IK, Aitkenhead AR, eds. Consent, Benefit and Risk in Anaesthetic Practice, Chapter 8. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009: 103–16..
- 41Commission for Social Care Inspection. Rights, risks and restraints. 2007. http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/46979CAB-51B2-4305-B64B-E520165D56D7/0/Restraint.pdf (accessed 20/10/2013).
- 42R v Bournewood Community and Mental Health NHS Trust Ex p. L. 1997. EWCA Civ 2879.
- 43The lawful use of restraints. In Rai GS, ed. Medical Ethics and the Elderly, Chapter 13, 3rd edn. Abingdon: Radcliffe Publishing, 2009: 139pp., .
- 45General Medical Council. Treatment and care towards the end of life: good practice in decision making.2010. http://www.gmc-uk.org/static/documents/content/End_of_life_9_May_2013.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 46ReAK (Medical Treatment: Consent). 2001. 1 FLR 129.
- 47Burke v GMC. 2005. EWCA Civ 1003.
- 48Medical decision-making for older adults without family. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2012; 60: 2144–50., , , .
- 54General Medical Council. Good practice in research and consent to research. 2010. http://www.gmc-uk.org/static/documents/content/Good_practice_in_research_and_consent.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 55Research. In: White SM, Baldwin TJ. Legal and Ethical Issues in Critical Care and Perioperative Medicine, Chapter 10. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004: 127–40., .
- 56Research and adults without capacity. Clinical Ethics 2010; 5: 63–6., .
- 62Pretty v Director of Public Prosecutions and Secretary of State for the Home Department. 2001. UKHL 61.
- 63Airedale National Health Service Trust v Bland. 1993. AC 789 (HL).
- 64R (Purdy) v DPP. 2009. UKHL 45.
- 65Assisted suicide. House of Commons library standard note SN/HA/4857. http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN04857.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013)., .
- 66General Medical Council. Guidance for the Investigation Committee and case examiners when considering allegations about a doctor's involvement in encouraging or assisting suicide. 2013. http://www.gmc-uk.org/Guidance_for_FTP_decision_makers_on_assisting_suicide.pdf_51024815.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).
- 67More care, less pathway. A review of the Liverpool Care Pathway. 2013. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/212450/Liverpool_Care_Pathway.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013)., , , et al.
- 69Rapid evidence review: pathways focussed on the dying phase in end of life care and their key components. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/212451/review_academic_literature_on_end_of_life.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013)., , , , .
- 70A joint statement from the British Medical Association, the Resuscitation Council (UK) and the Royal College of Nursing. Decisions relating to cardiopulmonary resuscitation. 2007. http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/dnar.pdf (accessed 19/10/2013).