This is a consensus document produced by expert members of a Working Party established by the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (AAGBI). It has been seen and approved by the AAGBI Board.
Peri-operative care of the elderly 2014
Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Article first published online: 5 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Special Issue: Anaesthesia for the Elderly
Volume 69, Issue Supplement s1, pages 81–98, January 2014
How to Cite
Membership of the working party: R. Griffiths, Beech, F., Brown, A., Dhesi, J., Foo, I., Goodall, J., Harrop-Griffiths, W., Jameson, J., Love, N., Pappenheim, K. and White, S. (2014), Peri-operative care of the elderly 2014 . Anaesthesia, 69: 81–98. doi: 10.1111/anae.12524
- Issue published online: 5 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 5 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 OCT 2013
- 1Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland. Anaesthesia and peri-operative care of the elderly. 2001. http://www.aagbi.org/sites/default/files/careelderly01.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 2British Geriatrics Society Good Practice Guide: peri-operative care for older patients undergoing surgery. 2013. http://www.bgs.org.uk/index.php/topresources/publicationfind/goodpractice/2402-bpg-pops (accessed 05/10/2013)..
- 3American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program/American Geriatrics Society. Optimal pre-operative assessment of the geriatric surgical patient. http://site.acsnsqip.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ACS-NSQIP-AGS-Geriatric-2012-Guidelines.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 4Royal College of Surgeons of England. Emergency surgery. Standards for unscheduled surgical care. 2011. http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/publications/docs/emergency-surgery-standards-for-unscheduled-care/@@download/pdffile/rcs_emergency_surgery_2011_web.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 5Royal College of Surgeons of England and the Department of Health. The higher risk general surgical patient. Towards improved care for a forgotten group. 2011. http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/publications/docs/higher-risk-surgical-patient/@@download/pdffile/higher_risk_surgical_patient_2011_web.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 6College of Emergency Medicine. ‘The Silver Book’: quality care for older people with urgent and emergency care needs. 2012. http://secure.collemergencymed.ac.uk/code/document.asp?ID=6440 (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 7National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. Elective and Emergency Surgery in the Elderly: An Age Old Problem. 2010. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2010report3/downloads/EESE_fullReport.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 8Report of the Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Public Inquiry. http://www.midstaffspublicinquiry.com/report (accessed 05/10/2013)..
- 9Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. Care and compassion? Report of the Health Service Ombudsman on ten investigations into NHS care of older people. 2011. http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7216/Care-and-Compassion-PHSO-0114web.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 11National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. Extremes of age. 1999. http://www.ncepod.org.uk/pdf/1999/99full.pdf#search=&'enquiry&' (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 13Cardiopulmonary aspects of anaesthesia for the elderly. Best Practice and Research Clinical Anaesthesiology 2011; 25: 329–54., .
- 15National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. CG169. Acute kidney injury. Prevention, detection and management of acute kidney injury up to the point of renal replacement therapy. 2013. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/14258/65058/65058.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 19National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. CG 92. Venous thromboembolism: reducing the risk of venous thromboembolism (deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) in patients admitted to hospital. 2010. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/12695/47920/47920.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 20Continuity of care for older hospital patients. A call for action. http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/files/kf/field/field_publication_file/continuity-of-care-for-older-hospital-patients-mar-2012.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013)., , , .
- 26Comprehensive assessment of the frail older patient. http://www.bgs.org.uk/index.php/topresources/publicationfind/goodpractice/195-gpgcgassessment (accessed 05/10/2013)..
- 27Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland. Preoperative assessment and patient preparation. The Role of the Anaesthetist. 2010. http://www.aagbi.org/sites/default/files/preop2010.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 28National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. CG 3. Preoperative tests. The use of routine preoperative tests for elective surgery. 2003. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/cg3niceguideline.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 35General Medical Council. Consent: patients and doctors making decisions together. 2008. http://www.gmc-uk.org/static/documents/content/GMC_Consent_0513_Revised.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 36General Medical Council. Treatment and care towards the end of life. 2010. http://www.gmc-uk.org/static/documents/content/End_of_life_9_May_2013.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 37Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland. Consent for anaesthesia. 2006. http://www.aagbi.org/sites/default/files/consent06.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 41National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. CG 65. Inadvertent perioperative hypothermia. 2008. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11962/40432/40432.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 42Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland. Recommendations for standards of monitoring during anaesthesia and recovery, 4th edn. 2007. http://www.aagbi.org/sites/default/files/standardsofmonitoring07.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 45National Institute of Health and Care Excellence. MTG 3. CardioQ-ODM oesophageal Doppler monitor. 2011. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13312/52624/52624.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 52National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. DG 6. Depth of anaesthesia monitors – Bispectral Index (BIS), E-Entropy and Narcotrend-Compact M. http://publications.nice.org.uk/depth-of-anaesthesia-monitors-bispectral-index-bis-e-entropy-and-narcotrend-compact-m-dg6/outcomes#clinical-effectiveness (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 54Residual neuromuscular block in elderly patients after surgical procedures under general anaesthesia with rocuronium. Anaesthesiology Intensive Therapy 2013; 45: 77–81., .
- 57British consensus Guidelines on Intravenous Fluid Therapy for Adult Surgical Patients (GIFTASUP). 2011. http://www.bapen.org.uk/pdfs/bapen_pubs/giftasup.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013)., , , et al.
- 58National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Intravenous fluid therapy in adults in hospital. (Draft for consultation). 2013. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13298/63879/63879.pdf (accessed 05.10/2013).
- 60Anaesthesia for hip fracture surgery in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2004; 4: CD000521., , .
- 64Pharmacology in the elderly and newer anaesthesia drugs. Best Practice and Research: Clinical Anaesthesiology 2011; 25: 355–65., , .
- 65National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. CG 50. Acutely ill patients in hospital. 2007. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG50FullGuidance.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 67Preventing postoperative complications in the elderly. Anesthesiology Clinics 2011; 29: 83–97., .
- 68Management of postoperative analgesia in elderly patients. Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine 2005; 30: 369–79..
- 69Royal College of Physicians, British Geriatrics Society and British Pain Society. The Assessment of Pain in Older People: National Guidelines. Concise Guidance to Good Practice Series, No. 8. London: RCP, 2007. http://britishpainsociety.org/book_pain_older_people.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 75American Geriatrics Society 2012 Beers Criteria Update Expert Panel. American Geriatrics Society updated Beers Criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2012; 60: 616–31.
- 77Peri-operative care of elderly patients – an urgent need for change: a consensus statement to provide guidance for specialist and non-specialist anaesthetists. Perioperative Medicine 2013; 2: 6–11., , , , .
- 78National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. CG 103. Delirium: diagnosis, prevention and treatment. 2010. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13060/49908/49908.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 82on behalf of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland. Do Not Attempt Resuscitation (DNAR) decisions in the perioperative period. 2009. http://www.aagbi.org/sites/default/files/dnar_09_0.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013)., , , et al.
- 86Royal College of Anaesthetists. Raising the Standard: a compendium of audit recipes, 3rd edn. 2012. http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/system/files/CSQ-ARB-2012.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 88The Royal College of Surgeons. Access all ages. Assessing the impact of age on access to surgical treatment. 2012. http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/publications/docs/access-all-ages/@@download/pdffile/access_all_ages.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 89Department of Health. National Service Framework for older people. London: Department of Health, 2001. www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/07/12/83/04071283.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 90Centre for policy on ageing. Ageism and age discrimination in secondary health care in the United Kingdom. 2009. http://www.cpa.org.uk/information/reviews/CPA-ageism_and_age_discrimination_in_secondary_health_care-report.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 91NHS Confederation. Delivering dignity. Securing dignity in care for older people in hospitals and care homes. 2012. http://www.nhsconfed.org/Documents/dignity.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 92House of Lords and House of Commons Joint Committee on Human Rights. The human rights of older people in healthcare. 2007. http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/jt200607/jtselect/jtrights/156/156i.pdf (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 93The Patients Association. Listen to patients, Speak up for change. 2010. http://www.patients-association.com/Portals/0/Public/Files/Research%20Publications/Listen%20to%20patients,%20Speak%20up%20for%20change.pdf