G.H.A. Visser has stated explicitly that he has no conflicts of interest in connection with this article. Jørg Kessler received a lecture fee from Neoventa Medical one-one occasion.
It is time to introduce ST analysis for fetal monitoring in the labor ward?
Article first published online: 28 MAY 2014
© 2014 Nordic Federation of Societies of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica
Special Issue: Fetal Monitoring, Guest Editor: Jens Langhoff-Roos
Volume 93, Issue 6, pages 539–543, June 2014
How to Cite
It is time to introduce ST analysis for fetal monitoring in the labor ward? Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2014; 93:539–543., .
- Issue published online: 28 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 28 MAY 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 APR 2014 08:18AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 1 APR 2014
- 1Changes in the fetal heart rate and ECG during hypoxia. Acta Physiol Scand. 1975;93:59–66., .
- 2The relationship between circulating catecholamines and ST waveform in the fetal lamb electrocardiogram during hypoxia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1984;149:190–5., , , , .
- 3The phyiological development of fetus and newborn. Oxford: Academic Press, 1985..
- 4European Community multi-Center Trial ‘Fetal ECG Analysis During Labor’: ST plus CTG analysis. J Perinat Med. 1999;27:431–40., , , , , .
- 5Plymouth randomized trial of cardiotocogram only versus ST waveform plus cardiotocogram for intrapartum monitoring in 2400 cases. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993;169:1151–60., , , .
- 6Cardiotocography only versus cardiotocography plus ST analysis of fetal electrocardiogram for intrapartum fetal monitoring: a Swedish randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2001;358:534–8., , , , , , et al.
- 7Swedish randomized controlled trial of cardiotocography only versus cardiotocography plus ST analysis of fetal electrocardiogram revisited: analysis of data according to standard versus modified intention-to-treat principle. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2011;90:990–6., , , , .
- 8A comparison of intrapartum automated fetal electrocardiography and conventional cardiotocography – a randomised controlled study. BJOG. 2006;113:419–23., , , , .
- 9A French randomized controlled trial of ST-segment analysis in a population with abnormal cardiotocograms during labor. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;197:299.e1–6., , , , , , et al.
- 10Cardiotocography plus ST analysis of fetal electrocardiogram compared with cardiotocography only for intrapartum monitoring: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2010;115:1173–80., , , , , , et al.
- 11Cardiotocography plus ST analysis of fetal electrocardiogram compared with cardiotocography only for intrapartum monitoring: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117:406–7., , , , , .
- 12ST analysis of the fetal electrocardiogram in intrapartum fetal monitoring: a meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol. 2012;119:145–54., , , , , , et al.
- 13Fetal electrocardiogram (ECG) for fetal monitoring during labour. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;4:CD000116..
- 14Effectiveness of electronic fetal monitoring with additional ST analysis in vertex singleton pregnancies at >36 weeks of gestation: an individual participant data metaanalysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013;208:187.e1–13., , , , , , et al.
- 15Fetal monitoring with computerized ST analysis during labor: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2013;92:28–39., , , , , , et al.
- 16Reduced prevalence of metabolic acidosis at birth: an analysis of established STAN usage in the total population of deliveries in a Swedish district hospital. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;202:e1–7., .
- 17Intrapartum monitoring of high-risk deliveries with ST analysis of the fetal electrocardiogram: an observational study of 6010 deliveries. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2013;92:57–84., , .
- 18Impact of fetal ECG (STAN) and competency based training on intrapartum interventions and perinatal outcomes at a teaching hospital in London: 5 year analysis. BJOG. 2013;120:428–9., , , .
- 19Use of peripartum ST analysis of fetal electrocardiogram without blood sampling: a large prospective cohort study. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2011;156:35–40., , , .
- 20Prevention of intrapartum hypoxia with ST-analysis-10 years’ experience at the Turku University Hospital. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012;206:S279..
- 21Delay in intervention increases neonatal morbidity in births monitored with cardiotocography and ST-waveform analysis. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2014;93:175–81., , .
- 22Cost-effectiveness of cardiotocography plus ST analysis of the fetal electrocardiogram compared with cardiotocography only. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2011;90:772–8., , , , , , et al.
- 23The long-term cost-effectiveness of fetal monitoring during labour: a comparison of cardiotocography complemented with ST analysis versus cardiotocography alone. BJOG. 2008;115:1676–87., , , .
- 24Obstetric accidents: the patient's perspective. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1991;98:390–5., , .
- 25Severe asphyxia due to delivery-related malpractice in Sweden 1990–2005. BJOG. 2008;115:316–23., , , .
- 26Inter- and intra-observer agreement of intrapartum ST analysis of the fetal electrocardiogram in women monitored by STAN. BJOG. 2009;116:545–51., , , , , .
- 27ST analysis. BJOG. 2007;114:1445., .