Letters to the Editor
Letter: is Helicobacter pylori behind Barrett's oesophagus and colorectal neoplasms? Authors’ reply
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Volume 37, Issue 8, page 838, April 2013
How to Cite
Andrici, J. and Eslick, G. D. (2013), Letter: is Helicobacter pylori behind Barrett's oesophagus and colorectal neoplasms? Authors’ reply. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 37: 838. doi: 10.1111/apt.12267
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 FEB 2013
We thank Dr Kountouras and colleagues for their interest in our article.[1, 2] The role of Helicobacter pylori in the development of peptic ulcers, as well as gastric adenocarcinomas and gastric mucosa-associated lymphomas (MALT lymphomas), is now widely accepted. The idea that the same pathogen could be involved in the pathogenesis of both Barrett's oesophagus (BO) and colonic tumours is intriguing.
The recent findings by Zhang et al. showing an adjusted odds ratio of 1.18 (95% CI: 1.01–1.38) between H. pylori infection and colorectal cancer points to a potential association between the two. Furthermore, a meta-analysis of 13 studies from 2008 also showed a positive association, with an odds ratio of 1.49 (95% CI: 1.17–1.91). However, studies by Abbass et al. (published after the meta-analysis by Zhao et al. and therefore not included in the analysis) and Siddheshwar et al. found no association.
Given the uncertainty at present, more studies are needed to confirm the relationship, should one exist, as well as a mechanistic explanation.
The authors’ declarations of personal and financial interests are unchanged from those in the original article.2
- 3Association of Helicobacter pylori infection with gastric carcinoma: a meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94: 2373–9., , , , .Direct Link:
- 7Seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori in patients with colorectal polyps and colorectal carcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol 2001; 96: 84–8., , , .Direct Link: