The copyright line for this article was changed on 4 June 2015 after original online publication.
Rehydroxylation of Fired-Clay Ceramics: Factors Affecting Early-Stage Mass Gain in Dating Experiments
Article first published online: 26 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Archaeometry published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of University of Oxford.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 56, Issue 4, pages 689–702, August 2014
How to Cite
Wilson, M. A., Clelland, S., Carter, M. A., Ince, C., Hall, C., Hamilton, A. and Batt, C. M. (2014), Rehydroxylation of Fired-Clay Ceramics: Factors Affecting Early-Stage Mass Gain in Dating Experiments. Archaeometry, 56: 689–702. doi: 10.1111/arcm.12038
- Issue published online: 22 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 26 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 DEC 2012
- University of Manchester EPSRC PhD Plus scheme
- Natural Environment Research Council. Grant Number: NE/I014039/1
- ATIS, 2012, Automatic Terminal Information Service.
- 2011, Rehydration/rehydroxylation kinetics of reheated XIX-century Davenport (Utah) ceramics, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94, 2585–2591. , , , and ,
- 2012, Dehydroxylation and rehydroxylation mechanisms in fired-clay ceramic: a TG–MS and DRIFTS investigation, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 95, 416–422. , , , , , and ,
- 2007, The nature of structure-bonded H2O in illite and leucophyllite from dehydration and dehydroxylation experiments, Clays and Clay Minerals, 55, 45–58. , and ,
- 2013, The influence of temperature on rehydroxylation [RHX] kinetics in archaeological pottery, Journal of Archaeological Science, 40, 305–312. , , and ,
- 1984, Water movement in porous building materials—IV. Evaporation and drying in brick and block materials, Building and Environment, 19, 13–20. , , and ,
- 2012, A review of rehydoxylation in fired-clay ceramics, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 95, 2673–2678. , and ,
- 2011, A study of (time)1/4 rehydroxylation kinetics in fired kaolinite, PhD Thesis, University of Manchester, Manchester. ,
- 1985, Reversibility of moisture expansion, American Ceramic Society Bulletin, 64, 712–715. ,
- 2008, Moisture expansion and mass gain in fired-clay ceramics: a two-stage (time)1/4 process, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 41, 055402. , , , , , and ,
- 2010, Gravimetric and spectroscopic studies of the chemical combination of moisture by as-fired and reheated terracotta, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 30, 1867–1872. , , , and ,
- Vaisala, 2012, Humidity Calculator version 1.1.2, http://forms.vaisala.com/LP=434 (accessed 29 November 2012).
- 2012, Rehydroxylation (RHX) dating of archaeological pottery, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Science, 468, 3476–3493. , , , , and ,
- 2003, Kinetics of moisture expansion in fired-clay ceramics: a (time)1/4 law, Physical Review Letters, 90, 125503. , , , and ,
- 2009, Dating fired-clay ceramics using long-term power law rehydroxylation kinetics, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Science, 465, 2407–2415. , , , , , , , and ,