Differences in spatial autocorrelation (SAc), plant species richness and diversity, and plant community composition in grazed and ungrazed grasslands along a moisture gradient, North Dakota, USA
Article first published online: 17 APR 2013
© 2013 International Association for Vegetation Science
Applied Vegetation Science
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 53–62, January 2014
How to Cite
Meyers, L. M., DeKeyser, E. S., Norland, J. E. (2014), Differences in spatial autocorrelation (SAc), plant species richness and diversity, and plant community composition in grazed and ungrazed grasslands along a moisture gradient, North Dakota, USA. Applied Vegetation Science, 17: 53–62. doi: 10.1111/avsc.12040
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2012
- 2000. Livestock exclusion increases the spatial heterogeneity of vegetation in Colorado shortgrass steppe. Applied Vegetation Science 3: 213–222. &
- 2001. The effect of grazing on the spatial heterogeneity of vegetation. Oecologia 128: 465–479. , &
- 1998. Ungulate effects on the functional species composition of plant communities: herbivore selectivity and plant tolerance. Journal of Wildlife Management 62: 1165–1183. &
- 2001. Plant species diversity and grazing in the Scandinavian mountains – patterns and processes at different spatial scales. Ecography 24: 683–695. &
- 2005. Identification and creation of optimum habitat conditions for livestock. Rangeland Ecology and Management 58: 109–118.
- 2011. Spatial perspectives in state-and-transition models: a missing link to land management? Journal of Applied Ecology 48: 746–757. , &
- 2008. Rotational grazing on rangelands: reconciliation of perception and experimental evidence. Rangeland Ecology and Management 61: 3–17. , , , , , , , &
- 2012. Chance in plant communities: a new approach to its measurement using the nugget from spatial autocorrelation. Journal of Ecology 100: 987–996. , , , , , &
- 2007. Evaluation of central North American prairie management based on species diversity, life form, and individual species metrics. Conservation Biology 21: 864–874. , , &
- 1998. Ecoregions of North Dakota and South Dakota. [Two-sided colour poster with map, descriptive text, summary tables, and photographs.] United States Geological Survey, Reston, VA, US. , , , , , , , &
- 2006. Dimensions of ecosystem complexity: heterogeneity, connectivity, and history. Ecological Complexity 3: 1–12. , &
- 2000. How do depth, duration and frequency of flooding influence the establishment of wetland plant communities? Plant Ecology 147: 237–250. &
- 2012. Assembly rules operate only in equilibrium communities: is it true? Austral Ecology 37: 903–914. , , , , , &
- 1992. Fire frequency and community heterogeneity in tallgrass prairie vegetation. Ecology 73: 2001–2006.
- 2006. Scale-dependent interaction of fire and grazing on community heterogeneity in tallgrass prairie. Ecology 87: 2058–2067. &
- 2011. Spatial patterns of species and plant traits in response to 20 years of grazing exclusion in subalpine grassland communities. Journal of Vegetation Science 22: 402–413. , &
- 2000. Invasive weeds in rangelands: species, impacts, and management. Weed Science 48: 255–265.
- 2012. Community ecology in the age of multivariate multiscale spatial analysis. Ecological Monographs 82: 257–275. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Spatial soil ecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17: 177–183. &
- 1998. Topographic patterns of above- and belowground production and nitrogen cycling in alpine tundra. Ecology 79: 2253–2266. , &
- 1999. Spatial statistics in landscape ecology. In: Klopatek, J.M. & Cardner, R.H. (eds.) Landscape ecological analysis: issues and applications, pp. 253–279. Springer, New York, NY, US.
- 2001. Restoring heterogeneity on rangelands: ecosystem management based on evolutionary grazing patterns. BioScience 51: 625–632. &
- 2012. Conservation of pattern and process: developing an alternative paradigm of rangeland management. Rangeland Ecology and Management 65: 579–589. , , , &
- 1995. Post-fire changes in community structure of tall tussock grasslands: a test of alternative models of succession. Journal of Ecology 83: 775–782. &
- 1992. Disturbances in tallgrass prairie: local versus regional effects on community heterogeneity. Landscape Ecology 7: 243–252. , &
- 1998. Geostatistical tools for characterizing the spatial variability of microbiological and physio-chemical soil properties. Biology and Fertility of Soils 27: 315–334.
- 2007. Spatial autocorrelation in plant communities: vegetation texture versus species composition. Ecography 30: 801–811. , , , , , , , &
- 1993. Spatial autocorrelation: trouble or new paradigm? Ecology 74: 1659–1673.
- 1989. Spatial pattern and ecological analysis. Vegetatio 80: 107–138. &
- 2002. Analysis of ecological communities. MjM Software Design, Gleneden Beach, OR, US. &
- 2009. Beyond description: the active and effective way to infer processes from spatial patterns. Ecology 90: 46–56. &
- 1988. A generalized model of the effects of grazing by large herbivores on grassland community structure. The American Naturalist 132: 87–106. , &
- 1998. Livestock grazing: animal and plant biodiversity of shortgrass steppe and the relationship to ecosystem function. Oikos 83: 65–74. , &
- 2000. Direct measurements of spatial autocorrelation at the community level in four plant communities. Journal of Vegetation Science 11: 911–916. , , , , , , &
- 2011. Assessing landscape structure and pattern fragmentation in semiarid ecosystems using patch-size distributions. Ecological Applications 21: 2793–2805. , , &
- 1999. The distance decay of similarity in biogeography and ecology. Journal of Biogeography 26: 867–878. &
- 1998. Effects of herbivores on grassland plant diversity. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13: 261–265. &
- 2011. Small-scale autocorrelation in plant communities: the effects of spatial grain and measure of abundance, with an improved sampling scheme. Journal of Vegetation Science 23: 471–482. , , , , , &
- 2002. Understory species patterns and diversity in old-growth and managed northern hardwood forests. Ecological Applications 12: 1329–1343. &
- 1972. Vegetation of prairie potholes, North Dakota, in relation to quality of water and other environmental factors. Geological Survey Professional Paper 585-D. 53 pp. &
- 2006. Measuring plant diversity: lessons from the field. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, US.
- 2010. Niche differentiation and neutral theory: an integrated perspective on shrub assemblages in a parkland savanna. Ecological Society of America 91: 1152–1162. &
- 2004. Drought and grazing patch dynamics under different grazing management. Journal of Arid Environments 58: 97–117. , &
- USDA-NRCS-North Dakota. 2010a. http://efotg.nrcs.usda.gov/references/public/ND/Sandy_Range_Site.pdf, Accessed: 2/18/2010.
- USDA-NRCS-North Dakota. 2010b. http://efotg.nrcs.usda.gov/references/public/ND/Subirrigated_Range_Sites.pdf, Accessed: 2/18/2010.
- USDA-NRCS-North Dakota. 2010c. http://efotg.nrcs.usda.gov/references/public/ND/Wet_Meadow_Range_Site.pdf, Accessed: 2/18/2010.
- 1994. Effects of prolonged flooding on the distribution of biomass of emergent species along a freshwater coenocline. Vegetatio 110: 185–196.
- 2011. The control of community composition by distance, environment and history: a regional-scale study of the mountain grasslands of southern New Zealand. Journal of Biogeography 38: 2384–2396. &