Timberline meadows along a 1000-km transect in NW North America: species diversity and community patterns
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2013
© 2013 International Association for Vegetation Science
Applied Vegetation Science
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 129–141, January 2014
How to Cite
Wagner, V., Spribille, T., Abrahamczyk, S., Bergmeier, E. (2014), Timberline meadows along a 1000-km transect in NW North America: species diversity and community patterns. Applied Vegetation Science, 17: 129–141. doi: 10.1111/avsc.12045
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUN 2012
- Reinhold and Johanna Tüxen Foundation (Germany)
- 1984. Ecological land classification of Mount Revelstoke and Glacier National Parks, British Columbia. Vol. I: Integrated Resource Description. Alberta Institute of Pedology, Edmonton, CA. , , &
- Agriculture Canada Expert Committee on Soil Survey 1987. The Canadian system of soil classification, 2nd ed. NRC Research Press, Ottawa, CA.
- 1990. A checklist of Sphagnum in North America north of Mexico. The Bryologist 93: 500–501.
- 1990. List of the mosses of North America north of Mexico. The Bryologist 93: 448–499. , &
- 2000. Vegetation and landscapes of Georgia (Caucasus), as a basis for landscape restoration. Bulletin of the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Yokohama National University 26: 69–102. , , , , &
- 1998. Classification of high-elevation, non-forested plant communities in coastal British Columbia. Scientia Silvica, Forest Sciences Department, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, CA. , &
- 1959. A directional change in the subalpine forest–heath ecotone in Garibaldi Park, British Columbia. Ecology 40: 10–16.
- 1970. The subalpine mountain hemlock zone. Ecology of Western North America 2: 153–349. , &
- 2003. Environment, prehistory and archaeology of Mount Rainier National Park. National Park Service, Seattle, WA, US.
- 1932. Map 273 A, Sandon (Slocan and Ainsworth Mining Divisions), Kootenay District, British Columbia. Canada Department of Mines, Geological Survey, CA.
- 2002. Determination of diagnostic species with statistical fidelity measures. Journal of Vegetation Science 13: 79–90. , , &
- 2011. Pleistocene glaciation of British Columbia. In: Ehlers, J., Gibbard, P.L. & Hughes, P.D. (eds.) Quaternary glaciations – Extent and chronology. A closer look, pp. 563–574. Elsevier, Amsterdam, NL. &
- 2004. Micarea subalpina Coppins & Spribille, a new subalpine species from the Rocky Mountains, USA. Lichenologist 36: 97–102. &
- 1991. Engelmann Spruce–Subalpine Fir Zone. In: Meidinger, D. & Pojar, J. (eds.) Ecosystems of British Columbia, pp. 223–236. British Columbia Ministry of Forests, Victoria, CA. , &
- 2009. Vegetation classification of Mount Rainier, North Cascades, and Olympic National Parks. Plant association descriptions and identification keys. Natural Resource Technical Report NPS/NCCN/NRTR—2009/D-586. U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Natural Resource Program Centre, Fort Collins, CO, US. , , &
- 2001. A phytosociological study of Glacier National Park, Montana, U.S.A., with notes on the syntaxonomy of alpine vegetation in Western North America. PhD Thesis, Georg August University of Göttingen, Göttingen, DE.
- 1999. Plant community types of the Chugach National Forest: Southcentral Alaska. USDA Forest Service, Chugach Natl. Forest, Alaska Region, Tech. Publ. R10-TP-76. Anchorage, AK, US. , , , , , &
- 1972. Subalpine plant communities of the western North Cascades, Washington. Arctic and Alpine Research 4: 147–166.
- 1977. Alpine and high subalpine plant communities of the North Cascades range, Washington and British Columbia. Ecological Monographs 47: 113–150. &
- 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994. The vascular plants of British Columbia. Parts 1-4. BC Ministry of Forests, Victoria, CA. , &
- 1971. Ecology of the alpine and timberline vegetation of Big White Mountain, British Columbia. PhD thesis, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, CA.
- 2010. A cumulative checklist for the lichen-forming, lichenicolous and allied fungi of the continental United States and Canada. Version 16. North Dakota State University, ND, US. http://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~esslinge/chcklst/chcklst7.htm, accessed on 19 October 2010.
- 1990. The influence of snow on subalpine community pattern, North Cascades, Washington. Canadian Journal of Botany 68: 212–220. &
- 2003. The calcareous riddle: why are there so many calciphilous species in the Central European flora? Folia Geobotanica 38: 357–366.
- Flora of North America Editorial Committee (eds.) 1993–2007. Flora of North America North of Mexico. 16+ volumes. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, US.
- 1973. Natural vegetation of Oregon and Washington. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report PNW-8. USDA Forest Service, Portland, OR, US. &
- 1983. Map 1609A, Surficial geology, Seymour Arm, British Columbia. Geological Survey of Canada, Department of Energy, Mines and Resources, CA.
- 2004. The quaternary glacial record of British Columbia, Canada. In: Ehlers, J. & Gibbard, P.L. (eds.) Quaternary glaciations extent and chronology part II: North America, pp. 39–50. Elsevier, Amsterdam, NL. , &
- 1992. Geology and mineral resources of the Babine Mountains Recreation Area. Mineral Resource Division, Geological Survey Branch, Province of British Columbia Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources, Victoria, CA.
- 1978. Timberline meadows in Wells Gray Park, British Columbia, and their comparative geobotanical interpretation. Syesis 11: 187–211.
- 2007. Biodiversity of the alpine vascular flora of the N.W. North American Cordillera: the evidence from phyto-geography. Erdkunde 61: 344–357.
- 1974. Composition, distribution and succession of subalpine meadows in Mount Rainier National Park. PhD thesis, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, US.
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1965–1978. , , , &
- 1964. Landforms of British Columbia, a physiographic outline. British Columbia Department of Mines and Petroleum Resources, CA.
- 2009. Mountain timberlines. Ecology, patchiness, and dynamics, 2nd ed. Springer, Dordrecht, NL.
- 1937. Outline of the history of arctic and boreal biota during the Quarternary period: their evolution during and after the glacial period as indicated by the equiformal progressive areas of present plant species. Reprint 1972. J. Cramer, Lehre, DE.
- 2002. A half century of change in alpine treeline patterns at Glacier National Park, Montana, U.S.A. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research 34: 49–56. &
- 1974. Detailed soil survey of the Mount Revelstoke Summit Area [report no. M-74-3]. Alberta Institute of Pedology, Edmonton, CA. &
- 1962. Rastitelnost Sredney Azii i yuzhnogo Kazakhstana. (Vegetation of Central Asia and southern Kazakhstan). Izdatelstvo Akademii Nauk Uzbekskoy SSR, Tashkent, USSR.
- 1997. World atlas of snow and ice resources. Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, RU. , &
- 1964a. Multidimensional scaling by optimizing goodness of fit to a nonmetric hypothesis. Psychometrika 29: 1–27.
- 1964b. Nonmetric multidimensional scaling: a numerical method. Psychometrika 29: 115–129.
- 1970. Ecology of subalpine meadows in the Olympic Mountains, Washington. Ecological Monographs 40: 317–347. &
- 1974. An ecological assessment of the Summit Area, Mount Revelstoke National Park. Canadian Wildlife Service, Environment Canada, Edmonton, CA. &
- 1970. Subarctic and subalpine: where and what? Arctic and Alpine Research 2: 63–73.
- 2011. Contexts for change in alpine tundra. Physical Geography 32: 97–113. , , &
- 1976. Computational methods of multivariate analysis in physical geography. J. Wiley & Sons, London, UK.
- 1984. Vegetation and foraging ecology of the Vancouver Island Marmot. MSc thesis, University of Victoria, Victoria, CA.
- 1986. Subalpine meadow vegetation of south central Vancouver Island. Canadian Journal of Botany 64: 815–821. &
- 2002. Local plant diversity patterns and evolutionary history at the regional scale. Ecology 83: 2361–2366.
- 2000. Forests and meadows of the Rocky Mountains. In: Barbour, M.G. & Billings, W.D. (eds.) North American terrestrial vegetation, 2nd ed., pp. 75–122. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1985. Impacts of recreational activities on alpine vegetation in Western North America. Mountain Research and Development 5: 263–277.
- 1973. The nature and age of the contact between the Laurentide and Cordilleran ice sheets in the western interior of North America. Arctic and Alpine Research 5: 1–16.
- 1948. Map 971 A, Smithers-Fort St. James, British Columbia. Geological Survey of Canada: Canada Department of Mines and Resources, Mines, Forests and Scientific Services Branch, CA.
- 1994. Changes in sub-alpine tree distribution in western North America: a review of climatic and other causal factors. The Holocene 4: 89–100. , , &
- 2006. Mountains. In: Apostol, D. & Sinclair, M. (eds.) Restoring the Pacific Northwest. The art and science of ecological restoration in Cascadia, pp. 241–276. Island Press, Washington, DC, US. , , , , , &
- 1978. A floristic survey of a subalpine meadow on Mt. Wright, Glacier Bay National Monument, Alaska. Northwest Science 52: 329–336. &
- 1990. Ecology of woodland caribou in Wells Gray Provincial Park. B.C. Ministry of Environment Wildlife Bulletin B-68, Victoria, CA.
- 1916. The vegetation of the Selkirks. Botanical Gazette 61: 477–494.
- Sheldrick, B.H. (ed.) 1984. Analytical methods manual. Land Resource Research Institute, Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, Ottawa, CA.
- 2002. Forest communities of the northern Whitefish Range, Rocky Mountains, Montana, U.S.A. Folia Geobotanica 37: 509–540. &
- 1977. A checklist of the liverworts and hornworts of North America. The Bryologist 80: 405–428. &
- 2010. OptimClass: using species-to-cluster fidelity to determine the optimal partition in classification of ecological communities. Journal of Vegetation Science 21: 287–299. , , , &
- 1993. Treeline in relation to climate, with special reference to oceanic areas. In: Alden, J., Mastrantonio, J.L. & Ødum, S. (eds.) Forest development in cold climates, pp. 115–134. Plenum Press, New York, NY, US.
- 2006. Development of scale-free climate data for western Canada for use in resource management. International Journal of Climatology 26: 383–397. , , &