Life after fire: smoke and ash as germination cues in ericads, herbs and graminoids of northern heathlands
Article first published online: 2 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Applied Vegetation Science published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of International Association for Vegetation Science.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Applied Vegetation Science
Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 670–679, October 2014
How to Cite
Bargmann, T., Måren, I. E., Vandvik, V. (2014), Life after fire: smoke and ash as germination cues in ericads, herbs and graminoids of northern heathlands. Applied Vegetation Science, 17: 670–679. doi: 10.1111/avsc.12106
- Issue published online: 24 SEP 2014
- Article first published online: 2 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 8 OCT 2013
- Bergen Myrdyrkings-forenings Fond
- Olaf Grolle Olsens Legat
- 1999. Turner Review No. 1. The process of germination in Australian species. Australian Journal of Botany 47: 475–517.
- 2005. Fire as a global ‘herbivore’: the ecology and evolution of flammable ecosystems. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 20: 387–394. &
- 1993. Promotion of germination of fynbos seeds by plant-derived smoke. New Phytologist 123: 575–583.
- 1997. Smoke as a germination cue: a review. Plant Growth Regulation 22: 115–124. &
- 2009. Karrikins: a new family of plant growth regulators in smoke. Plant Science 177: 252–256. , , , , , , , &
- 1995. The promotive effect of smoke derived from burnt native vegetation on seed germination of Western Australian plants. Oecologia 101: 185–192. , &
- 2010. The fire ephemeral Tersonia cyathiflora (Gyrostemonaceae) germinates in response to smoke but not the butenolide 3-methyl-2H-furo [2, 3-c] pyran-2-one. Annals of Botany 106: 381–384. , , &
- 2013. Comparison of germination responses of Anigozanthos flavidus (Haemodoraceae), Gyrostemon racemiger and Gyrostemon ramulosus (Gyrostemonaceae) to smoke-water and the smoke-derived compounds karrikinolide (KAR1) and glyceronitrile. Annals of Botany 111: 489–497. , , , &
- 2013. Heathlands confronting global change: drivers of biodiversity loss from past to future scenarios. Annals of Botany 111: 151–172.
- 2005. The ecology of seeds. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. &
- 2004. A compound from smoke that promotes seed germination. Science 305: 977. , , &
- 2013. Karrikin and cyanohydrin smoke signals provide clues to new endogenous plant signaling compounds. Molecular Plant 6: 29–37. , , , , , &
- 2011. Seed longevity and fire: germination responses of an exotic perennial herb in NW Patagonian grasslands (Argentina). Plant Biology 13: 865–871. &
- 2000. Heat shock, smoke and darkness: partner cues in promoting seed germination in Epacris tasmanica (Epacridaceae). Australian Journal of Botany 48: 603–609. , &
- 1995. Effect of high temperatures and ash on germination of ten species from gorse shrubland. Plant Ecology 116: 123–131. &
- 1997. Diversity, composition and guild structure relationships between soil-stored seed banks and mature vegetation in alien plant-invaded South African fynbos shrublands. Plant Ecology 133: 107–122. &
- 1996. Effects of source of plant material and temperature on the production of smoke extracts that promote germination of light-sensitive lettuce seeds. Environmental and Experimental Botany 36: 421–429. , &
- 1988. Effects of dry heat on seed germination in selected indigenous and alien legume species in South Africa. South African Journal of Botany 54: 28–34. , &
- 1986. The origin and management of Norwegian coastal heaths as reflected by pollen analysis. In: Behre, K.E. (ed.) Anthropogenic indicators in pollen analysis, pp. 19–36. Balkema, Rotterdam, NL.
- 1991. Seed germination and life history syndromes in the California chaparral. The Botanical Review 57: 81–116.
- 1995. Seed germination patterns in fire-prone Mediterranean-climate regions. In: Arroyo, M.T.K., Zedler, P.H. & Fox, M.D. (eds) Ecology and Biogeography of Mediterranean Ecosystems in Chile, California and Australia, pp. 239–273. Academic Press, San Diego.
- 1997. Convergent seed germination in South African fynbos and Californian chaparral. Plant Ecology 133: 153–167. &
- 1997. Trace gas emissions and smoke-induced seed germination. Science 276: 1248–1250. &
- 1998. Mechanism of smoke induced seed germination in a post fire chaparral annual. Journal of Ecology 86: 27–36. &
- 2000. Role of fire in regeneration from seed. Seeds: The Ecology of Regeneration in Plant Communities 2: 311–330. &
- 1985. Role of allelopathy, heat and charred wood in the germination of chaparral herbs and suffrutescents. Journal of Ecology 73: 445–458. , , &
- 2011a. Fire as an evolutionary pressure shaping plant traits. Trends in Plant Science 16: 406–411. , , , &
- 2011b. Fire in Mediterranean ecosystems: ecology, evolution and management. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , &
- 1997. Combined effects of heat shock, smoke and darkness on germination of Epacris stuartii Stapf., an endangered fire-prone Australian shrub. Oecologia 112: 340–344.
- 2000. Influence of multiple fire-related germination cues on three Sydney Grevillea (Proteaceae) species. Austral Ecology 25: 664–669.
- 2004. Conservation and Management of North European Coastal Heathlands: Case Study: the Heathland Centre. Heathland Centre, Lygra, NO. , &
- 1990. Autecological studies on Audouinia capitata (Bruniaceae). I. Plant-derived smoke as a seed germination cue. South African Journal of Botany 56: 700–703. &
- 1993. Ecology of soil seed banks. Academic Press Inc., San Diego, CA. , &
- 2005. Norsk flora. 7 utgåve. Det Norske Samlaget, Oslo, NO. &
- 2010. Butenolides from plant-derived smoke: natural plant-growth regulators with antagonistic actions on seed germination. Journal of Natural Products 73: 267–269. , , , &
- 1983. Regeneration of heathland plants following burning. Plant Ecology 53: 45–58. &
- 1985. Ecological effects of heather burning: II. Effects on seed germination and vegetative regeneration. Journal of Ecology 73: 633–644. &
- 2009. Effects of management on heathland vegetation in Western Norway. The University of Bergen, Bergen, NO.
- 2009. Fire and regeneration: the role of seed banks in the dynamics of northern heathlands. Journal of Vegetation Science 20: 871–888. &
- 2010. Prescribed burning of northern heathlands: Calluna vulgaris germination cues and seed-bank dynamics. Plant Ecology 207: 245–256. , , , , &
- 2010. Disentangling the role of heat and smoke as germination cues in Mediterranean Basin flora. Annals of Botany 105: 627–635. , , &
- 1993. The effect of ash on the germination and early growth of shoots and roots of Pinus, Cistus and annuals. Seed Science and Technology 21: 339–349. , &
- 2002. Regulation of the germination of Rhus coriaria, a post-fire pioneer, by heat, ash, pH, water potential and ethylene. Physiologia Plantarum 106: 47–52. , &
- 2012. Regulation of seed germination and seedling growth by chemical signals from burning vegetation. Annual Review of Plant Biology 63: 107–130. , , , &
- 2005. Early stages of Calluna vulgaris regeneration after burning of coastal heath in central Norway. Applied Vegetation Science 8: 57–64. , &
- 2009. A burning story: the role of fire in the history of life. BioScience 59: 593–601. &
- 2000. Palaeoecological investigations towards the reconstruction of the history of forest clearances and coastal heathlands in south-western Norway. Vegetation History and Archaeobotany 9: 189–204. &
- 2000. Smoke and heat effects on soil seed bank germination for the re-establishment of a native forest community in New South Wales. Austral Ecology 25: 48–57. , , &
- 1998. Germination of Pinus pinaster, P. radiata and Eucalyptus globulus in relation to the amount of ash produced in forest fires. Annals of Forest Science 55: 837–845. &
- 1996. An improved method for seed-bank analysis: seedling emergence after removing the soil by sieving. Functional Ecology 10: 144–151. , , &
- 1990. Jack pine establishment on ash from wood and organic soil. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 1926–1932. &
- 2001. The interaction of heat and smoke in the release of seed dormancy in seven species from southwestern Western Australia. Annals of Botany 88: 259–265. , , &
- 2002. The effects of thermal scarification and seed storage on germination of four heathland species. Plant Ecology 161: 137–144. &
- 2000. Seed banks of Erica australis and Calluna vulgaris in a heathland subjected to experimental fire. Journal of Vegetation Science 11: 161–166. , &
- 1988. The effect of factors associated with fire on seed germination of Erica sessiliflora and E. hebecalyx (Ericaceae). South African Journal of Botany 54: 301–304. &
- 2004. The potential of smoke in seed technology. South African Journal of Botany 70: 97–101. &
- 2006. Post-germination effects of the smoke-derived compound 3-methyl-2H-furo[2,3-c]pyran-2-one, and its potential as a preconditioning agent. Field Crops Research 98: 98–105. , , &
- 2005. Managing heterogeneity: the importance of grazing and environmental variation on post fire succession in heathlands. Journal of Applied Ecology 42: 139–149. , , &
- 2014. Management-driven evolution in a domesticated ecosystem. Biology Letters 10: 20131082. , , , , , &
- 1998. The traditional management of European heathlands. Journal of Applied Ecology 35: 987–990.
- 1977. Germination response in Emmenanthe penduliflora (Hydrophyllaceae). Ecology 58: 201–205.
- 1996. Key ecological function of charcoal from wildfire in the Boreal forest. Oikos 77: 10–19. , &