Special Feature “Temperate forests in continental East Asia” (Eds. Hongyan Liu, Helge Bruelheide, Jörg Ewald & Milan Chytr ý).
Special Feature: East Asian Forests
The geographical distribution and differentiation of Chinese beech forests and the association with Quercus
Article first published online: 28 APR 2014
© 2014 International Association for Vegetation Science
Applied Vegetation Science
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 23–33, January 2015
How to Cite
Shen, Z.-H., Fang, J.-Y., Chiu, C.-A., Chen, T.-Y. (2015), The geographical distribution and differentiation of Chinese beech forests and the association with Quercus. Applied Vegetation Science, 18: 23–33. doi: 10.1111/avsc.12108
- Issue published online: 28 NOV 2014
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2013
- Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 31061160184, C020203, 31021001, 31170449
- 2003. Distribution of above-ground and below-ground carbohydrate reserves in adult trees of two contrasting broad-leaved species (Quercus petraea and Fagus sylvatica). New Phytologist 157: 605–615. , &
- 2010. Effects of granivorous rodents on direct seeding of oak and beech in relation to site preparation and sowing date. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 2382–2389. , , &
- 1995. Fagus dominance in Chinese montane forests: natural regeneration of Fagus lucida and Fagus hayatae var. pashanica. PhD Thesis, Wageningen Agricultural University, Wageningen, NL.
- 1995. Climatic range and distribution of Chinese Fagus species. Journal of Vegetation Science 6: 317–324. , &
- 1997. Studies on species diversity of Fagus lucida communities on the Badagongshan Mountain, Hunan. Chinese Biodiversity 5: 112–120. [In Chinese.] , &
- 2012. Taiwan beech: a relic summer green forest. Forestry Bureau of the Council of Agriculture Executive Yuan, TW. [In Chinese.]
- 1997. Diversity and the geographical distributions of forests in China. Science Press, Beijing, CN. [In Chinese.] , &
- 2005. Effects of gap and understory environments on the regeneration of Quercus aliena var. acuteserrata and Fagus engleriana. Acta Phytoecologica Sinica 29: 354–360. [In Chinese.] , , &
- 1951. An upland forest continuum in the prairie–forest border region of Wisconsin. Ecology 32: 476–496. &
- 2005. Patterns of molecular and morphological differentiation in Fagus (Fagaceae): phylogenetic implications. American Journal of Botany 92: 1006–1016. , &
- 1992. Study on the geographic elements affecting temperature distribution in China. Acta Ecologica Sinica 12: 97–104. [In Chinese.]
- Fang, J.-Y., Wang, Z.-H. & Tang, Z.-Y. (eds.) 2011. Atlas of woody plants in China: distribution and climate, vol I. Chinese Higher Education Press & Springer, Beijing, CN.
- 2006. Climatic limits for the present distribution of beech (Fagus L.) species in the world. Journal of Biogeography 33: 1804–1819. &
- 1990. Climate and vegetation in China IV. Distribution of tree species along the thermal gradient. Ecological Research 5: 291–302. &
- 2009. Methods and protocols for plant community inventory. Biodiversity Science 17: 533–548. [In Chinese.] , , , , , , , , , &
- 1999. Different responses to shade of evergreen and deciduous oak seedlings and the effect of acorn size. Acta Oecologica 20: 579–586. &
- 2004. Responses of Fagus engleriana seedlings to light and nutrient availability. Acta Botanic Sinica 46: 533–541. [In Chinese.] &
- 2010. Effect of prevailing monsoons on the distribution of beeches in continental East Asia. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 2197–2203. &
- 1984. A proof of the conjecture that the Tukey-Kramer multiple comparisons procedure is conservative. Annals of Statistics 12: 61–75.
- 1998. Study on the sprouting process of Fagus engleriana in Shennongjia Mountains. Acta Phytoecologica Sinica 22: 385–391. [In Chinese.] , &
- 1999. History of disturbance and regeneration strategies of Fagus engleriana and Quercus aliena var. acuteserrata forests in Shennongjia, Hubei Province. Acta Botanica Sinica 41: 887–892. [In Chinese.] , , &
- 1993. Preliminary studies on the geographic distribution of Fagus in China. Acta Botanica Sinica 35: 229–233. [In Chinese.] &
- 1989. Structure and floristic composition of the beech forest in Taiwan. Taiwania 34: 28–44.
- 2005. Phytosociology of Fagus hayatae forests in Taiwan. Rendiconti Lincei: Scienze Fisiche e Naturali Series IX 16: 171–189. , , , , &
- 1989. Climatic control of the distribution and abundance of beech (Fagus L.) in Europe and North America. Journal of Biogeography 16: 551–560. , &
- 2002. RAPD analyses of Fagus species in China. Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Pekinensis 38: 817–822. [In Chinese.] , , , &
- 1995. A preliminary study on gap regeneration dynamics in Taiyangping beech (Fagus engleriana Seem.) forest. Wuhan Journal of Botany 13: 225–230. [In Chinese.] , &
- 2004. Importance of mineral nutrition for photosynthesis and growth of Quercus petraea, Fagus sylvatica and Acer pseudoplatanus planted under Norway spruce canopy. Plant and Soil 264: 25–34. , , &
- 1989. Ecological Methodology. Harper & Row, New York, NY, US.
- 2005. Growth, mortality, and morphological response of European beech and downy oak along a light gradient in sub-Mediterranean forest. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35: 1657–1668. , , &
- 2008. The origination, distribution, regeneration and genetic diversity of Chinese beech. Chinese Agricultural Science Bulletin 24: 185–191. [In Chinese.] &
- 2013. Classification of Taiwan forest vegetation. Applied Vegetation Science 16: 698. , , , , , , , , , (…) &
- 2003. An outline of Quaternary development of Fagus forest in China: palynological and ecological perspectives. Flora 198: 249–259. , , , &
- 2002. Multiple regression and inference in ecology and conservation biology: further comments on identifying important predictor variables. Biodiversity Conservation 11: 1397–1401.
- 1992. Community structure of a species-rich temperate forest, Ogawa Forest Reserve, central Japan. Vegetatio 98: 97–111. , , , , &
- 2004. Climatic controls on distribution of Fagus crenata forests in Japan. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 57–66. , , , &
- 2007. Predation of insects by feral cats (Felis silvestris catus L., 1758) on an oceanic island (La Palma, Canary Island). Journal of Insect Conservation 11: 203–207. &
- 2010. Estimating and modeling bias of the hierarchical partitioning public-domain software: implications in environmental management and conservation. PLoS ONE 5: e11698. , &
- 2009. Sample selection bias and presence-only distribution models: implications for background and pseudoabsence data. Ecological Applications 19: 181–197. , , , , , &
- 1992. A global biome model based on plant physiology and dominance, soil properties and climate. Journal of Biogeography 19: 117–134. , , , , &
- 2013. Productivity of mixed versus pure stands of oak (Quercus petraea (MATT.) LIEBL. and Quercus robur L.) and European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) along an ecological gradient. European Journal of Forest Research 132: 263-280. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2012. Growth and mortality of oak (Quercus spp.): a combined analysis of monitoring and tree-ring data from Swiss forest reserves. PhD dissertation. ETH, Zurich, CH.
- 2001. Detecting the impact of climate and disturbances on tree-rings of Fagus sylvatica L. and Quercus robur L. in a lowland forest in Cantabria, Northern Spain. Annals of Forest Science 58: 237–251.
- 2001. Niche comparison of two Fagus species based on the topographic patterns of their populations. Acta Phytoecologica Sinica 25: 392–398. [In Chinese.] &
- 1995. The early restoration of vegetation and soil environment in felling-field of the Fagus engleriana forest. Acta Phytoecologica Sinica 19: 375–383. [In Chinese.] &
- 2012. Geographical patterns of community-based tree species richness in Chinese mountain forests: the effects of contemporary climate and regional history. Ecography 35: 1134–1146. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2012. Phylogenetic structure illuminates the mechanistic role of environmental heterogeneity in community organization. Journal of Animal Ecology 81: 455–462. , , &
- 2002. Disturbance regimes and community structures of a riparian and an adjacent terrace stand in the Kanumazawa Riparian Research Forest, northern Japan. Forest Ecology and Management 157: 285–301. , , , , &
- 2012. Morphological and physiological responses of beech and oak seedlings to canopy conditions: why does beech dominate the understory of unmanaged oak fuelwood stands? Canadian Journal of Forest Research 42: 1623–1630. &
- 1987. The analysis of vegetation–environment relationships by canonical correspondence analysis. Vegetatio 69: 69–77.
- 1955. Climatic classification in forestry. Unasylva 9: 51–59. &
- 1997. Growth and morphology of pedunculate oak (Quercus robur L) and beech (Fagus sylvatica L) seedlings in relation to shading and drought. Annales des Sciences Forestières 54: 9–18.
- 2006. Community classification, species composition, and regeneration of Fagus lucida forests in subtropical mountains, China. Biodiversity Science 14: 29–40. [In Chinese.] , , , &
- 2012. A panbiogeographical explanation of the disjunct distribution of Fagus (Fagaceae) in the northern temperate zone. Chinese Journal of Plant Ecology 36: 393–402. [In Chinese.] , , &
- 1980. Vegetation of China. Science Press, Beijing, CN. [In Chinese.] (eds.)
- 2002-2013. Flora of China. Science Press, Beijing, CN. [In Chinese.] et al. (eds.)
- 2009. Species composition and sprouting regeneration of Fagus engleriana community in Tianmushan Mountain. Chinese Journal of Ecology 28: 182–187. [In Chinese.] , , , , &
- 2001. The community characteristics of the Taiwan beech forest of Qingliangfeng Mountain in Zhejiang. Journal of Zhejiang University (Agric. & Life Sci.) 27: 403–440. [In Chinese.]