Pharmacokinetic dynamic relationships
Effect of extremes of body weight on the pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, safety and tolerability of apixaban in healthy subjects
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
© 2013 Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology © 2013 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 76, Issue 6, pages 908–916, December 2013
How to Cite
Upreti, V. V., Wang, J., Barrett, Y. C., Byon, W., Boyd, R. A., Pursley, J., LaCreta, F. P. and Frost, C. E. (2013), Effect of extremes of body weight on the pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, safety and tolerability of apixaban in healthy subjects. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 76: 908–916. doi: 10.1111/bcp.12114
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 14 MAR 2013 05:30AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 NOV 2012
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and Pfizer Inc.
- 6European Medicines Agency. CHMP Guideline on clinical investigation of medicinal products for prophylaxis of high intra- and post-operative venous thromboembolic risk. Effective 31 May 2008. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2009/09/WC500003301.pdf (last accessed 17 July 2012).
- 7European Medicines Agency. Guideline on clinical investigation of medicinal products for prophylaxis of venous thromboembolic risk in non-surgical patients. Effective 30 November 2006. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2009/09/WC500003317.pdf (last accessed 17 July 2012).
- 16GlaxoSmithKline. Arixtra product information. Revised February 2011. Available at http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_arixtra.pdf (last accessed 17 May 2012).
- 19Sanofi-Aventis U.S. LLC. Lovenox® Prescribing information. Revised April 2011. Available at http://www.lovenox.com (last accessed 3 May 2012).
- 20Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH. Pradaxa® (INN – dabigatran etexilate) Summary of Product Characteristics. First authorization March 2008. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/000829/WC500041059.pdf (last accessed 28 November 2011).
- 22Discovery of 1-(4-methoxyphenyl)-7-oxo-6-(4-(2-oxopiperidin-1-yl)phenyl)-4,5,6,7-tetrahydro-1H -pyrazolo[3,4-c]pyridine-3-carboxamide (apixaban, BMS-562247), a highly potent, selective, efficacious, and orally bioavailable inhibitor of blood coagulation factor Xa. J Med Chem 2007; 50: 5339–5356., , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 30Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer EEIG. Eliquis® (apixaban tablets) Summary of product characteristics. 2012. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/002148/WC500107728.pdf (last accessed 10 April 2013).
- 31Apixaban, a direct factor Xa inhibitor: single-dose pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of an intravenous formulation [abstract 148]. J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 48: 1132., , , , , , , .
- 33Effect of rifampin on the pharmacokinetics of apixaban, an oral direct inhibitor of factor Xa [abstract]. J Clin Pharmacol 2009; 49: 1091–1130., , , , , , , , , .
- 38Safety, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of multiple oral doses of apixaban, a factor Xa inhibitor, in healthy subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2013 Mar 14. [Epub ahead of print]., , , , , , , , , , .
- 40A placebo-controlled, ascending multiple-dose study to evaluate the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics of apixaban in healthy Japanese subjects. (A637). Can J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 15: e420–781., , , , , , .
- 41Single dose apixaban pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in healthy male Japanese and Caucasian subjects (A647). Can J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 15: e420–781., , , , .
- 42NHLBI Obesity Education Initiative Expert Panel on the Identification Evaluation and Treatment of Obesity in Adults. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report. Bethesda, MD: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, 1998; Report No.: 98-4083.
- 44Effects of age and gender on the single-dose pharmacokinetics (PK) and pharmacodynamics (PD) of apixaban. J Thromb Haemost 2009; 7: PP-MO-407., , , .