Corporate social responsibility in China: implementation and challenges
Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Business Ethics: A European Review © 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Business Ethics: A European Review
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 34–49, January 2014
How to Cite
Graafland, J. and Zhang, L. (2014), Corporate social responsibility in China: implementation and challenges. Business Ethics: A European Review, 23: 34–49. doi: 10.1111/beer.12036
- Issue online: 9 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2013
- 2000. Social Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Approach. London: Sage.
- 2012. ‘Corporate social responsibility and institutional theory: new perspectives on private governance’. Socio-Economic Review, 10:1, 3–28. , and
- 2007. ‘Why would corporations behave in socially responsible ways? An institutional theory of corporate social responsibility’. Academy of Management Review, 32:3, 946–967.
- 2008. ‘A history of corporate social responsibility: concepts and practices’. In Crane, A. , McWilliams, A. , Matten, D. , Moon, J. and Siegel, D. (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Social Responsibility: 19–46. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2001. China's Workers under Assault: The Exploitation of Labor in a Globalizing Economy. New York: M.E. Sharpe.
- 2008. The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Social Responsibility. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , , and
- 2008. ‘How corporate social responsibility is defined: an analysis of 37 definitions’. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 5:1, 1–13.
- 1998. Cannibals with Forks: The Triple Bottom Line of 21st Century Business. Gabriola Island, BC: New Society Publishers.
- European Commission. 2001. A sustainable Europe for a better world: a European union strategy for sustainable development. Brussels: COM 264 final.
- European Commission. 2002. ‘European SMEs and Social and Environmental Responsibility’. Observatory of European SMEs, no. 4.
- 1985. ‘An evaluation of the validity and reliability of survey response data on household electricity conservation’. Evaluation Review, 9:1, 93–104. , and
- 2002. ‘Measurement and determinants of environmentally significant consumer behavior’. Environment and Behavior, 34:3, 335–362. , and
- 2003. ‘Distribution of responsibility, ability and competition’. Journal of Business Ethics, 45:1/2, 293–305.
- 2003. ‘Strategies and instruments for organising CSR by small and large business in the Netherlands’. Journal of Business Ethics, 47:1, 45–60. , and
- 1998. Multivariate Data Analyses. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. , and
- 2009. ‘People's Republic of China’. In Idowu, S.O. and Filho, W.L. (Eds.), Global Practices of Corporate Social Responsibility: 183–199. Berlin: Springer Verlag. and
- 2009. ‘The challenge of developing a business ethics in China’. Journal of Business Ethics, 88:S1, 211–224.
- 1998. ‘Twelve Gordian Knots when developing an organisational code of ethics’. Journal of Business Ethics, 17:8, 853–869. and
- 2008. ‘The ethics of global supply chains in China – convergences of the East and West’. Journal of Business Ethics, 79:1, 113–120.
- 2009. ‘Institutionalization of intellectual property rights in China’. European Management Journal, 27:3, 155–164.
- 2006. ‘Corporate social responsibility of SMEs in China: challenges and outlooks.’ Available at http://www.iwim.uni-bremen.de/publikationen/pdf/c018.pdf (accessed July 2011).
- 2008. ‘China's CSR mature’. Chinese Business Review, Available at http://www.ebglaw.com/files/24063_Levine2.pdf (accessed June 2011).
- 2011. ‘Determinants of green practice adoption for logistics companies in China’. Journal of Business Ethics, 98:1, 67–83. and
- 2010. ‘The corporate social responsibility orientation of Chinese small and medium enterprises’. Journal of Business Systems, Governance and Ethics, 5:3, 33–50. and
- 2009. ‘A Chinese perspective: business ethics in China now and in the future’. Journal of Business Ethics, 86:4, 451–461.
- 2007. NGOs in China: development dynamics and challenges, University of Nottingham, Available at http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cpi/documents/discussion-papers/discussion-paper-18-ngos-in-china.pdf (accessed July 2011).
- 2009. ‘Swire Beverages: implementing CSR in China’. Harvard Business School, Case 410-021. , and
- 2010. ‘CSR in China research: salience, focus and nature’. Journal of Business Ethics, 94:4, 613–629. and
- 2008. ‘The development of science and technology in China: a comparison with India and the United States’. Technology in Society, 30:3/4, 319–329. and
- 2008. ‘Chinese customers’ perception of corporate social responsibility (CSR)’. Journal of Business Ethics, 88:1, 119–132. and
- RARE. 2006. Rhetoric and realities: analysing corporate social responsibility in Europe, Available at http://www.rare-eu.net (accessed May 2011).
- 1993. ‘Pretesting in questionnaire design: a review of the literature and suggestions for further research’. Journal of the Market Research Society, 35:2, 171–182. , and
- SER (Sociaal Economische Raad). 2001. Corporate Social Responsibility. Assen: Van Gorcum.
- 2009. ‘Corporate social responsibility communication of Chinese and global corporations in China’. Public Relations Review, 35:3, 199–212. and
- 2003. Managing Ethics in Business Organizations: Social Scientific Perspectives. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. and
- 2010. ‘Stakeholders’ perceptions and future scenarios to improve corporate social responsibility in Hong Kong and Mainland China’. Journal of Business Ethics, 91:3, 391–404.
- 1998. ‘Ethikmassnahmen in der Unternehmenspraxis’. In Ulrich, P. and Wieland, J. (Eds.), Unternehmensethik in der Praxis. Impulse aus den USA, Deutschland und der Schweiz: 121–194. Bern: Verlag Paul Haupt. , and
- 2009. ‘Corporate social responsibility engagement and communication by Chinese companies’. Public Relations Review, 35:3, 247–250. and
- 1984. ‘Any data or none at all? Living with inaccuracies in self-reports of residential energy consumption’. Environment and Behavior, 16:4, 503–526. , and
- 2005. ‘Corporate social responsibility in Europe, North America and Asia’. Journal of Corporate Citizenship, 17: 33–52.
- 2008. ‘Corporate social responsibility in a comparative perspective’. In Crane, A. , McWilliams, A. , Matten, D. , Moon, J. and Siegel, D. (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Social Responsibility: 452–472. Oxford: Oxford University Press. and
- World Bank, and The State Environmental Protection Administration, P.R. China. 2007. Cost of Pollution in China, Economics Estimates of Physical Damage (World Bank,Washington, D.C.). Available at http://www.worldbank.org/eapenvironment (accessed August 2011).
- 2009. ‘From passive beneficiary to active stakeholder: workers’ participation in CSR movement against labor abuses’. Journal of Business Ethics, 87:S1, 233–249.
- 2009. ‘Drivers and barriers to engage enterprises in environmental management initiatives in Suzhou Industrial Park’. China Front. Environ. Sci. Engin. China, 3:2, 210–220. , and