Use of Maternal Health Services by Remote Dwelling Aboriginal Women in Northern Australia and Their Disease Burden
Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2013
© 2013, Copyright the Authors Journal compilation © 2013, Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 40, Issue 3, pages 172–181, September 2013
How to Cite
Birth 40:3 September 2013
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUL 2013
- 1Save the Children. State of the World's Mothers Report 2011. Westport, Connecticut: Save the Children, 2011.
- 2Australia's Mothers and Babies 2008. Perinatal statistics series no. 24. Cat. no. PER 50. Canberra, Australia: AIHW, 2010., , .
- 3Maternal Deaths in Australia 2003-2005. Canberra, Australia: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2008, , .
- 8UN Millennium Project. Who's Got the Power? Transforming Health Systems for Women and Children. Report of the Task Force on Child Health and Maternal Health. London, UK: United Nations Development Programme, 2005.
- 10Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Access to Health Services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People. Cat. No. IHW 46. Canberra, Australia: AIHW, 2011.
- 11Maternal and Child Health Care Services: Actions in the Primary Health Care Setting to Improve the Health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women of Childbearing Age, Infants and Young Children (Primary Health Care Review, Consultant Report No. 6). Canberra, Australia: Commonwealth of Australia, 2004..
- 12Trying to Make a Difference: Improving Pregnancy Outcomes, Care and Services for Australian Indigenous Women. PhD thesis. Victoria, Australia: La Trobe University, 2003..
- 13Impact of a collaborative shared antenatal care program for urban Indigenous women: A prospective cohort study. Med J Aust 2005;1821(10):514–519., , , et al.
- 15Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2009. Regional Statistics, 1362.7. ABS Canberra. Accessed March 22, 2012. Available at: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/1362.7/.
- 16Australian Bureau of Statistics. Population Distribution, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 4705.0. Canberra, Australia: ABS, 2006.
- 19What are the effects of distance management on the retention of remote area nurses in Australia? Rural Remote Health 2007;7(3):652., , , et al.
- 20The Quality of Maternal and Infant Health Services and Their Utilisation by Remote Dwelling Aboriginal Families in the Top End of Australia. (Unpublished PhD thesis, in progress) Sydney: University of Sydney, 2012..
- 21Banscott Health Consulting. Maternity Services in the Northern Territory Report. Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia: Department of Health and Community Services, 2007.
- 22And the Women Said… Reporting on Birthing Services for Aboriginal Women From Remote Top End Communities. Women's Health Strategy Unit. Northern Territory, Australia: Territory Health Services, 1999..
- 23Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey 2004–05. ABS cat. no. 4715.0. Canberra, Australia: ABS, 2006.
- 24StataCorp. Stata Statistical Software: Release 11. College Station, Texas: StataCorp LP, 2009.
- 26Worldwide Prevalence of Anaemia 1993–2005: WHO Global Database on Anaemia. Geneva: World Health Organisation, 2008., , , et al.
- 27Prevalence of asymptomatic bacteriuria in antenatal women with preterm labor at an Egyptian tertiary center. J Am Sci 2011;7(4):605–610..
- 28World Health Organization. Antenatal Care: Report of a Technical Working Group. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1999.
- 29Council of Australian Governments (COAG). Strategy for Closing the gap in Indigenous Disadvantage: National Indigenous Reform Agreement. Canberra, Australia: COAG, 2009. Accessed March 21, 2011. Available at: http://www.coag.gov.au/coag_meeting_outcomes/2009-07-02/docs/NIS_closing_the_gap.pdf.
- 30Evaluation of the Midwifery Group Practice Darwin. Queensland, Australia: Midwifery Research Unit, Mater Medical Research Institute and Australian Catholic University, 2012., , , et al
- 31Niyth Niyth Watmam The Quiet Story: Exploring the Experiences of Aboriginal Women who Give Birth in a Remote Community in the Northern Territory (Honours Thesis). Darwin, Australia: Charles Darwin University, 2009..
- 32Trends in the Health of Mothers and Babies, Northern Territory: 1986–2005. Darwin, Australia: Department of Health and Families, 2010., , , et al.
- 33AIHW. Australia's Mothers and Babies 2009. Perinatal statistics series no. 25. Cat. no. PER 52. Canberra, Australia: AIHW, 2011.
- 39“It looks good on paper”: Transitions of care between midwives and child and family health nurses in New South Wales. Women Birth 2007;22:64–72., , , et al.
- 41Improving Health in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mothers, Babies and Young Children: A Literature Review. Canberra, Australia: Office of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing, 2005..
- 42Biluru Butji Binniutlum Medical Service. Women's Business Meeting, Darwin, Nov 2-3, Report and Recommendations. Darwin, Australia: Danila Dilba, 1998.
- 43Improving Primary Health Care Maternity Services for Indigenous Women, Report of the Workshop Proceedings May 16-17, 2006. Northern Territory, Australia: Department of Health and Community Services, 2006., .
- 44Borning: Pmere Laltyeke Anwerne Ampe Mpwaretyeke, congress Alukura by the Grandmothers law. Aust Aboriginal Studies 1987;1:2–33., , , et al.
- 45Northern Territory Department of Health and Community Services. Review of Birthing Services in the Northern Territory of Australia. Department of Health and Community Services, Darwin, Australia: AGPS, 1992.
- 47“Closing the Gap”: How maternity services can contribute to reducing poor maternal infant health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women. Rural Remote Health 2010;10:1383., , , et al.
- 48Indigenous Mobility in Rural and Remote Australia. AHURI Final Report No. 90: Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute. Queensland, Australia: Queensland Research Centre, 2006., , .