Funding sources National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, and National Institute for Health Research.
Topical therapies for the treatment of plaque psoriasis: systematic review and network meta-analyses
Version of Record online: 25 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors BJD © 2013 British Association of Dermatologists
British Journal of Dermatology
Volume 168, Issue 5, pages 954–967, May 2013
How to Cite
Samarasekera, E.J., Sawyer, L., Wonderling, D., Tucker, R. and Smith, C.H. (2013), Topical therapies for the treatment of plaque psoriasis: systematic review and network meta-analyses. British Journal of Dermatology, 168: 954–967. doi: 10.1111/bjd.12276
Conflicts of interest All authors were members of the NICE Psoriasis Guideline Development Group (C.H.S chaired the group, E.S was the research fellow, L.S and O.W were the health economists, and R.T was the pharmacist). After completing the guideline analysis but before its publication, L.S joined Symmetron Limited.
- Issue online: 25 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 25 APR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 FEB 2013 01:38PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 FEB 2013
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence
- Department of Health
- 8National Clinical Guideline Centre. Psoriasis: Assessment and Management of Psoriasis. London: National Clinical Guideline Centre, 2012.
- 11Combination therapy for psoriasis. Dermatol Ther 1999; 11:96–103., .
- 16Clinical investigations of mometasone furoate – a novel nonfluorinated, topical corticosteroid. Semin Dermatol 1987; 6:94–100., , et al.
- 191-α, 25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 (calcitriol) ointment in psoriasis. J Dermatolog Treat 1992; 3:177–80., , et al.
- 23Comparative effects of two different calcipotriol (MC 903) cream formulations versus placebo in psoriasis vulgaris. A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group multi-centre study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 1996; 6:152–8., , et al.
- 25Efficacy and safety of a new combination of calcipotriol and betamethasone dipropionate (once or twice daily) compared to calcipotriol (twice daily) in the treatment of psoriasis vulgaris: a randomized, double-blind, vehicle-controlled clinical trial. Br J Dermatol 2002; 147:316–23., , et al.
- 26A new corticosteroid for moderate/severe dermatoses. Clin Med 1975; 82:23–6..
- 29The National Psoriasis Foundation Psoriasis Score (NPF-PS) system versus the Psoriasis Area Severity Index (PASI) and Physician's Global Assessment (PGA): a comparison. J Drugs Dermatol 2003; 2:260–6., , et al.
- 39Comparison of calcipotriol monotherapy and a combination of calcipotriol and betamethasone valerate after 2 weeks’ treatment with calcipotriol in the topical therapy of psoriasis vulgaris: a multicentre, double-blind, randomized study. Br J Dermatol 1998; 138:254–8., .
- 41Efficacy and tolerability of a cosmetically acceptable coal tar solution in the treatment of moderate plaque psoriasis: a controlled comparison with calcipotriene (calcipotriol) cream. Am J Clin Dermatol 2010; 11:275–83., , , .
- 49A comparative study of tar and betamethasone valerate in chronic plaque psoriasis: a study in Thailand. J Med Assoc Thai 2007; 90:1997–2002., .
- 50An intra-individual randomized safety and efficacy comparison of clobetasol propionate 0·05% spray and its vehicle in the treatment of plaque psoriasis. J Drugs Dermatol 2006; 5:357–60., , , .
- 54Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized, right-left study comparing calcipotriol monotherapy with a combined treatment of calcipotriol and diflucortolone valerate in chronic plaque psoriasis. Acta Derm Venereol Suppl (Stockh) 2000; 211:5–8., , et al.
- 55A comparison of twice-daily calcipotriol ointment with once-daily short-contact dithranol cream therapy: a randomized controlled trial of supervised treatment of psoriasis vulgaris in a day-care setting. Br J Dermatol 2006; 155:800–7., , et al.
- 65Clobetasol propionate shampoo 0·05%: a new option to treat patients with moderate to severe scalp psoriasis. J Drugs Dermatol 2004; 3:367–73., , et al.
- 68Efficacy and safety of calcipotriol plus betamethasone dipropionate scalp formulation compared with calcipotriol scalp solution in the treatment of scalp psoriasis: a randomized controlled trial. Br J Dermatol 2009; 161:159–66., , et al.
- 73A calcipotriene/betamethasone dipropionate two-compound scalp formulation in the treatment of scalp psoriasis in Hispanic/Latino and Black/African American patients: results of the randomized, 8-week, double-blind phase of a clinical trial. Int J Dermatol 2010; 49:1328–33., , et al.
- 74A new scalp formulation of calcipotriol plus betamethasone dipropionate compared with each of its active ingredients in the same vehicle for the treatment of scalp psoriasis: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial. Br J Dermatol 2009; 160:170–6., , et al.
- 78British Association of Dermatologists, Primary Care Dermatology Society. Recommendations for the Initial Management of Psoriasis. London: British Association of Dermatologists, 2010.