Funding sources Funding for the trial was provided by the U.K. Technology Strategy Board, Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa Research Association (UK) and Intercytex Ltd. The cells and vehicle for this trial were manufactured by Intercytex Ltd and supplied without cost for the trial. G.P., M.M.-Q., J.E.M. and J.A.M. are supported by the U.K. National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Biomedical Research Centre and the Clinical Research Facilities based at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust and King's College, London.
Clinical and Laboratory Investigations
Fibroblast cell therapy enhances initial healing in recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa wounds: results of a randomized, vehicle-controlled trial
Article first published online: 31 OCT 2013
© 2013 British Association of Dermatologists
British Journal of Dermatology
Volume 169, Issue 5, pages 1025–1033, November 2013
How to Cite
Petrof, G., Martinez-Queipo, M., Mellerio, J.E., Kemp, P. and McGrath, J.A. (2013), Fibroblast cell therapy enhances initial healing in recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa wounds: results of a randomized, vehicle-controlled trial. British Journal of Dermatology, 169: 1025–1033. doi: 10.1111/bjd.12599
Conflicts of interest P.K. is CEO and Chief Scientific Officer of Intercytex Ltd. The views expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the NHS, the NIHR, or the Department of Health.
This trial is registered with www.controlled-trials.com ISRCTN67757229.
- Issue published online: 31 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 31 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 21 AUG 2013 02:40AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 AUG 2013
- U.K. National Institute for Health Research
- Biomedical Research Centre and the Clinical Research Facilities
- Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- King's College
- 12European Medicines Agency. Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use. Guidelines on Clinical Trials in Small Populations. CHMP/EWP/83561/2005. London: EMA, 2006. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2009/09/WC500003615.pdf (last accessed 27 September 2013).
- 13Investigation of cell therapy for generalized severe recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa by intradermal allogeneic fibroblasts randomized against placebo injections. Australas J Dermatol 2009; 50: A56 [abstr]., , et al.
- 19Replenishment of type VII collagen and re-epithelialization of chronically ulcerated skin after intradermal administration of allogeneic mesenchymal stromal cells in two patients with recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa. Cytotherapy 2010; 12:429–31., , et al.