This work was carried out in the Department of Pathology and Microbiology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA.
Lymphoma diagnosis at an academic centre: rate of revision and impact on patient care
Version of Record online: 4 APR 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 166, Issue 2, pages 202–208, July 2014
How to Cite
Bowen, J. M., Perry, A. M., Laurini, J. A., Smith, L. M., Klinetobe, K., Bast, M., Vose, J. M., Aoun, P., Fu, K., Greiner, T. C., Chan, W. C., Armitage, J. O. and Weisenburger, D. D. (2014), Lymphoma diagnosis at an academic centre: rate of revision and impact on patient care. British Journal of Haematology, 166: 202–208. doi: 10.1111/bjh.12880
- Issue online: 1 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 4 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 18 NOV 2013
- 1998) Epidemiology of the non-Hodgkin's lymphomas: distributions of the major subtypes differ by geographic locations. Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Classification Project. Annals of Oncology, 9, 717–720. , & (
- 2004) Prediction of survival in follicular lymphoma based on molecular features of tumor-infiltrating immune cells. The New England Journal of Medicine, 351, 2159–2169. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006) Patients with grade 3 follicular lymphoma have prolonged relapse-free survival following anthracycline-based chemotherapy: the Nebraska Lymphoma Study Group Experience. Annals of Oncology: Official Journal of the European Society for Medical Oncology/ESMO, 17, 920–927. , , , , , , & (
- 2005) Gene expression profiling in follicular lymphoma to assess clinical aggressiveness and to guide the choice of treatment. Blood, 105, 301–307. , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) A significant diffuse component predicts for inferior survival in grade 3 follicular lymphoma, but cytologic subtypes do not predict survival. Blood, 101, 2363–2367. , , , , , , , , , & (
- Jaffe, E.S., Harris, N.L., Stein, H. & Vardiman, J.W. (eds.) (2001) World Health Organization Classification of Tumours: Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. IARC Press, Lyon.
- 1999) Mandatory second opinion surgical pathology at a large referral hospital. Cancer, 86, 2426–2435. , & (
- 2008) Comparison of referring and final pathology for patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Journal of Clinical Oncology: Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, 26, 5107–5112. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) The clinical impact of expert pathological review on lymphoma management: a regional experience. British Journal of Haematology, 123, 463–468. , , , , , & (
- 2008) Mandatory second opinion in surgical pathology referral material: clinical consequences of major disagreements. The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, 32, 732–737. , & (
- 2007) Grading of follicular lymphoma: comparison of routine histology with immunohistochemistry. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, 131, 1084–1088. , & (
- 2012) Expert second-opinion pathology review of lymphoma in the era of the World Health Organization classification. Annals of Oncology: Official Journal of the European Society for Medical Oncology/ESMO, 23, 159–166. , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Implications of discrepancy in morphologic diagnosis of myelodysplastic syndrome between referral and tertiary care centers. Blood, 118, 4690–4693. , , , , , , , , & (
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (December 20, 2013). Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas, Version 1.2014. Available at: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site [accessed 1 February 2014].
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) (October 22, 2003). Guidance on Cancer Services – Improving Outcomes in Haematological Cancers – The Manual. Available at: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CSGHO [accessed 1 February 2014].
- 2011) Importance of expert central review in the diagnosis of lymphoid malignancies in a regional cancer network. Journal of Clinical Oncology: Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, 29, 1431–1435. , , , & (
- 2013) Outside case review of surgical pathology for referred patients: the impact on patient care. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, 137, 233–240. , , & (
- Swerdlow, S.H., Campo, E., Harris, N.L., Jaffe, E.S., Pileri, S.A., Stein, H., Thiele, J. & Vardiman, J.W. (eds.) (2008) World Health Organization Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. IARC Press, Lyon.
- 2012) Clinical significance of the WHO grades of follicular lymphoma in a population-based cohort of 505 patients with long follow-up times. British Journal of Haematology, 156, 225–233. , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) Low histologic grade follicular lymphoma with high proliferation index: morphologic and clinical features. The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, 29, 1490–1496. , , , , & (
- 2011) Pitfalls in lymphoma pathology: avoiding errors in diagnosis of lymphoid tissues. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 64, 466–476. (