Manganese superoxide dismutase Ile58Thr, catalase C-262T and myeloperoxidase G-463A gene polymorphisms in patients with prostate cancer: relation to advanced and metastatic disease
Article first published online: 14 JUN 2013
© 2013 BJU International
Volume 112, Issue 4, pages E406–E414, August 2013
How to Cite
Tefik, T., Kucukgergin, C., Sanli, O., Oktar, T., Seckin, S. and Ozsoy, C. (2013), Manganese superoxide dismutase Ile58Thr, catalase C-262T and myeloperoxidase G-463A gene polymorphisms in patients with prostate cancer: relation to advanced and metastatic disease. BJU International, 112: E406–E414. doi: 10.1111/bju.12176
- Issue published online: 23 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 14 JUN 2013
- Research Fund of Istanbul University. Grant Number: 10967/2010
- prostate cancer;
- manganese superoxide dismutase;
- To evaluate the relationship between manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) Ile58Thr, catalase (CAT) C-262T and myeloperoxidase (MPO) G-463A gene polymorphisms and the susceptibility and clinicopathological characteristics of prostate cancer.
Patients and Methods
- In all, 155 patients diagnosed with prostate cancer and 195 controls with negative digital rectal examinations and PSA levels of <4 ng/dL were enrolled in this study.
- MnSOD, CAT and MPO gene polymorphisms were identified by polymerase chain reaction restriction-fragment length polymorphism methods.
- The TT genotype in MnSOD Ile58Thr polymorphism, CC genotype in the CAT C-262T polymorphism and the GG genotype in the MPO G-463A polymorphism were the predominant genotypes amongst this Turkish male population.
- There was no association between MnSOD Ile58Thr polymorphism and prostate cancer.
- For the CAT C-262T polymorphism, the TT genotype had significantly increased prostate cancer risk compared with the CC genotype. Similarly, the TT genotype had a 1.94- and 3.83-fold increased risk for high-stage disease and metastasis, respectively, when compared with the CC genotype.
- For the MPO G-463A polymorphism, the GG genotype had 1.78-fold increased risk of prostate cancer compared with the AA genotype. However, no association was found regarding Gleason score, advanced and metastatic prostate cancer risk.
- It seems that there is no association of prostate cancer with MnSOD Ile58Thr polymorphism, whereas the TT genotype in the CAT C-262T polymorphism and the GG genotype in the MPO G-463A polymorphism may be associated with increased prostate cancer risk.
- The TT genotype in the CAT C-262T gene polymorphism may also be a risk factor in tumour progression and metastasis among Turkish men.