Low differentiated microvascular density and low expression of platelet-derived growth factor-BB (PDGF-BB) predict distant metastasis and poor prognosis in clear cell renal cell carcinoma
Article first published online: 23 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. BJU International © 2013 BJU International
Volume 112, Issue 4, pages E415–E423, August 2013
How to Cite
Qi, L., Du, J., Zhang, Z., Diao, L., Chen, X. and Yao, X. (2013), Low differentiated microvascular density and low expression of platelet-derived growth factor-BB (PDGF-BB) predict distant metastasis and poor prognosis in clear cell renal cell carcinoma. BJU International, 112: E415–E423. doi: 10.1111/bju.12191
- Issue published online: 23 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 23 JUL 2013
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 81072090
- Tianjin Municipal Science and Technology commission. Grant Number: 07JCYBJC17000
- clear cell renal cell carcinoma;
- platelet-derived growth factor-BB;
- microvascular density;
- antiangiogenetic therapy
- To examine the prognostic significance of the expression of platelet-derived growth factor-BB (PDGF-BB) and differentiated microvascular density (MVD) in patients with clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC).
Patients and Methods
- We used the vascular marker cluster of differentiation 34 (CD34) to identify tumour blood vessels.
- The expression of PDGF-BB and CD34 was detected by immunohistochemistry (IHC) in tissue microarrays (TMAs) from 100 ccRCCs.
- Prognostic effects of individual parameters were calculated using Cox regression models and Harrell's concordance index (c-index).
- Higher grade and more advanced stage ccRCCs had significantly less PDGF-BB expression and differentiated MVD (P < 0.05).
- Higher PDGF-BB expression was an independent prognostic factor for longer survival, and moreover, the final model built by the addition of PDGF-BB expression improved the predictive accuracy for disease-free survival (c-index 0.707) compared with the clinicopathological-based model (c-index 0.695).
- PDGF-BB expression was positively associated with differentiated MVD assessed by Spearman correlation and factor analysis (r = 0.634, P < 0.001).
- PDGF-BB is as a novel and promising prognostic marker and antiangiogenic therapeutic target for the treatment of ccRCC.