Gaining employment: the experience of students at a further education college for individuals with learning disabilities
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
British Journal of Learning Disabilities
Volume 42, Issue 1, pages 58–65, March 2014
How to Cite
Skellern, J. and Astbury, G. (2014), Gaining employment: the experience of students at a further education college for individuals with learning disabilities. British Journal of Learning Disabilities, 42: 58–65. doi: 10.1111/bld.12012
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- 2010) Supported employment for people with intellectual disability: the effects of job breakdown on psychological well-being. J Appl Res Intellect Disabil, 23: 344–54. , , , & (
- 2004) Social capital, social inclusion and services for people with learning disabilities. Disabil Societ, 19: 195–207. & (
- 2011) Quality of life: a survey of parents of children/adults with an intellectual disability who are availing of respite care. Br J Learn Disabil, 39: 64–72. , (
- 2001) College students with disabilities: an access employment group. J Spec Group Work, 4: 339–49. , & (
- 2002), Development of self-understanding and self-esteem in children and adults with learning disabilities. In: Wong B.Y.L., Donahue M. edirors. The social dimensions of learning disabilities. London, Routledge: p33–52. , & (
- Department of Education and Employment (2001) Cited by Roulstone (2004) Employment barriers – inclusive futures. In: Swain J., French S., Barnes C., Thomas C. editors. Disabling barriers – enabling environments. London, Sage Publications Ltd.: p195–200.
- DH (2001) Valuing People: a new strategy for learning disability in the 21st century. London, Department of Health, Crown Copyright.
- DH (2005) Independence, Well-being and Choice: Our vision for the future of social care for adults in England. London, Department of Health, Crown Copyright.
- DH (2007) The Learning Disability Task Force Annual Report 2006–7 – Could do better. London, Department of Health.
- DH (2008) Valuing people now. London, Department of Health, Crown Copyright.
- DH (2009a) Valuing employment now – real jobs for people with learning disabilities. London, Department of Health, Crown Copyright.
- DH (2009b) Good learning disability partnership boards: making it happen for everyone. London, Department of Health, Crown Copyright.
- DWP (2004) Working lives: the role of day centres in supporting people with learning disabilities into employment. London, Department of Work and Pensions, HMSO.
- DWP (2006) Improving work opportunities for people with a learning disability: report of a working group on learning disabilities and employment. London, Department of Work and Pensions, HMSO.
- 2010) People with Learning Disabilities in England 2010. Lancaster, Improving health and lives, Learning Disability Observatory, Supported by the Department of Health. , , , , et al. (
- 2004) Positive perceptions in parents of children with disabilities. Asia Pac Disabil Rehabil J, 15: 22–35. & (
- 2005) The entangled geographies of social exclusion/inclusion for people with learning disabilities. Health Place, 11: 107–15. (
- 1995) Protective vigilance: The experience of parenting an adolescent who has learning disabilities, Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Institute of Clinical Social Work, Chicago, Illinois, USA. (
- 2009) Starting a new job: the social and emotional experience of people with intellectual disabilities. J Appl Res Intellect Disabil, 22: 421–5. , , , , et al. (
- 2005) The costs of inclusion. University of Cambridge, Faculty of Education, Cambridge. , , , & (
- NHS Information Centre (2010) Activity Data 2008-09 (updated November 2010). Available at: http://www.ic.nhs.uk/statistics-and-data-collections/social-care/learning-disability (last accessed on 8 march 2011)
- Open Society Institute (2005) Rights of people with intellectual disabilities. Gyoma, Hungary, Open Society Institute.
- 2005) The world of work. Learn Disabil Pract, 8: 28–36. , , , & (
- 2009) Understanding the social exclusion and stalled welfare of citizens with learning disabilities. Disability and Society, 24: 489–501. (
- 2010) Employment. In: Talbot P., Astbury G., Mason T. editors. Key concepts in learning disabilities. London, Sage Publications Ltd.: p89–94. (
- 2011) Changing jobs. Learn Disabil Today, Feb/Mar: 16–7. (
- 2006) Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qual Res Psychol, 3: 77–101. , (
- 2003) ‘Users’ views on supported employment and social inclusion: a qualitative study of 30 people in work. Br J Learn Disabil, 31: 166–73. & (