Elephant both Increase and Decrease Availability of Browse Resources for Black Rhinoceros
Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
Volume 46, Issue 1, pages 42–49, January 2014
How to Cite
Landman, M. and Kerley, G. I. (2014), Elephant both Increase and Decrease Availability of Browse Resources for Black Rhinoceros. Biotropica, 46: 42–49. doi: 10.1111/btp.12066
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 DEC 2012
- International Fund for Animal Welfare
- Centre for the Reproduction of Endangered Species (San Diego)
- National Research Foundation
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- Mazda Wildlife Fund
- 2002. Facilitation versus competition in grazing herbivore assemblages. Oikos 97: 313–318. , and .
- 1992. Browse characteristics and impact of browsing on trees and shrubs in African savannas. J. Veg. Sci. 3: 315–324.
- 2007. Managing heterogeneity in elephant distribution: Interactions between elephant population density and surface-water availability. J. Appl. Ecol. 44: 625–633. , , and .
- 2007. The R Book. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, England.
- 2002. Megaherbivores influence trophic guilds structure in African ungulate communities. Oecologia 131: 620–625. , , , and .
- 2011. A food web perspective on large herbivore community limitation. Ecography 34: 196–202. , , , , and .
- 2006. Demography and population dynamics in the elephants Loxodonta africana of Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa: Is there evidence of density dependent regulation? Oryx 40: 434–441. , and .
- 2010. Increasing elephant Loxodonta africana density is a more important driver of change in vegetation condition than rainfall. Acta Theriol 55: 289–299. , and .
- 1996. Ungulate grazing in sagebrush grassland: Mechanisms of resource competition. Ecol. Appl. 6: 200–217. , , , and .
- 2003. Woody plant damage by African elephants in relation to leaf nutrients in western Zimbabwe. J. Trop. Ecol. 19: 189–196.
- 1980. The comparison of usage and availability measurements for evaluating resource preference. Ecology 61: 65–71.
- 1995. Desertification of Subtropical Thicket in the Eastern Cape, South Africa: Are there alternatives? Environ. Monit. Assess. 37: 211–230. , , and .
- 2006. The impacts of elephants on biodiversity in the Eastern Cape Subtropical Thickets. S. Afr. J. Sci. 102: 395–402. , and .
- 2008. Effects of elephant on ecosystems and biodiversity. In R. J. Scholes, and K. G. Mennell (Eds.). Elephant Management: A Scientific Assessment for South Africa, pp. 146–204. Wits University Press, Johannesburg. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. The role of tortoises in the Thicket biome, South Africa: Important meso-herbivores in a mega-herbivore dominated landscape? In B. Bartholemew (Ed.). The Desert Tortoise Council Proceedings of the 1997–1998 Symposium, pp. 34–40. Desert Tortoise Council, Wrightwood, CA. , , , and .
- 2011. African elephants Loxodonta africana amplify browse heterogeneity in African Savanna. Biotropica 43: 711–721. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Relevance of elephant herbivory as a threat to important plants in the Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa. J. Zool. (Lond) 274: 51–58. , , and .
- 2012. Understanding long-term variations in an elephant piosphere effect to manage impacts. PLoS ONE 7: e45334. , , , and .
- 2013. Shift in black rhinoceros diet in the presence of elephant: Evidence for competition? PLoS ONE 8: e69771. , , and .
- 2003. Home ranges, movements and spatial relationships in an expanding population of black rhinoceros in the Great Fish River Reserve, South Africa. S. Afr. J. Wildl. Res. 33: 109–118. , and .
- 2001. Protecting plants from elephants: Botanical reserve scenarios within the Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa. Biol. Conserv. 102: 191–203. , , , and .
- 2000. Regression and model-building in conservation biology, biogeography and ecology: The distinction between, and reconciliation of, predictive and explanatory models. Biodivers. Conserv. 9: 655–671.
- 2006. Elephant impact on shoot distribution on trees and rebrowsing by smaller browsers. Acta Oecol. 30: 136–146. , , and .
- 2009. A priori evaluation of land use for the conservation of black rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis). Biol. Conserv. 142: 384–393. , , and .
- 1996. Multispecies grazing in the Serengeti. In J. Hodgson, and A. W. Illius (Eds.). The Ecology and Management of Grazing Systems, pp. 247–272. CAB International, Wallingford, UK. , and .
- 1997. Effects of elephant damage to vegetation on the abundance of phytophagous insects. Afr. J. Ecol. 35: 370–373. , and .
- 2007. A functional hypothesis of the threat of local extirpation of woody plant species by elephant in Africa. Biol. Conserv. 136: 329–345. , , and .
- 2011. African wild ungulates compete with or facilitate cattle depending on season. Science 333: 1753–1755. , , , and .
- 2011. Are the long-term effects of mesobrowsers on woodland dynamics substitutive or additive to those of elephants? Acta Oecol. 37: 393–398. , , , and .
- 1988. Megaherbivores – The Influence of Very Large Body Size on Ecology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1983. The Tsavo story: An ecological case history. In R. N. Owen-Smith (Ed.). Management of Large Mammals in African Conservation Areas, pp. 37–50. Haum, Pretoria.
- 2011. Soil nutrient status determines how elephant utilize trees and shape environments. J. Anim. Ecol. 80: 875–883. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Elephants as agents of habitat creation for small vertebrates at the patch scale. Ecology 89: 26–33.
- 2007. Herbivore-initiated interaction cascades and their modulation by productivity in an African savanna. PNAS 104: 193–197. , , , and .
- 1996. Competition and Resource Partitioning in Temperate Ungulate Assemblies. Chapman Hall, London.
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2005. Elephant Loxodonta africana driven woodland conversion to shrubland improves dry-season browse availability for impalas Aepyceros melampus. Wildl. Biol. 11: 207–213. , , and .
- 2007. The influence of bite size on foraging at larger spatial and temporal scales by mammalian herbivores. Oikos 116: 1964–1974.
- 1998. Diet choices by free-ranging moose in relation to plant distribution, chemistry, and morphology in northern Sweden. Can. J. Zool. 76: 1722–1733. , , and .
- 1995. Influence of size and density of browse patches on intake rates and foraging decisions of young moose and white-tailed deer. Oecologia 104: 112–121. , and .
- 1985. Does interspecific competition or predation shape the African ungulate community? J. Anim. Ecol. 54: 899–918.
- 1988. Analysis of the functional response in foraging in the Sitka black-tailed deer. Ecology 69: 1166–1175. , , and .
- 1992. Mechanisms of foraging in mammalian herbivores: New models of functional response. Am. Nat. 140: 325–348. , and .
- 1992. Effects of elephants and goats on the Kaffrarian Succulent Thicket of the Eastern Cape, South Africa. J. Appl. Ecol. 29: 699–710.
- 1993. Carrying capacity of the succulent valley bushveld of the Eastern Cape. Afr. J. Range For. Sci. 10: 1–10. , and .
- 1981. The effect of forage structure and availability on food intake, biting rate, bite size, and daily eating time of reindeer. J. Appl. Ecol. 18: 63–81. , and .
- 2011. Elephant-induced structural changes in the vegetation and habitat selection by large herbivores in an African savanna. Biol. Conserv. 144: 902–912. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Acocks' Valley Bushveld 50 years on: A new perspective on the delimitation, characterization, and origin of Subtropical Thicket vegetation. S. Afr. J. Bot. 69: 27–51. , , and .
- 1986. Regression Analysis with Applications. Chapman and Hall, London. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Food intake and foraging energetic of elk and mule deer. J. Wildl. Manag. 48: 1285–1301. , , , , and .
- 2002. Body Size Influences on Foraging Behavior of Thicket Biome Browsers. PhD Dissertation. University of Port Elizabeth, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- 2005. Competition and compensation among cattles, zebras, and elephant in a semi-arid savanna in Laikipia, Kenya. Biol. Conserv. 122: 351–359. , , and .