The copyright line for this article was changed to “CC-BY Copyright line” after original online publication on 19th JUNE 2014.
Futures of Tropical Forests (sensu lato)
Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Biotropica published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 46, Issue 4, pages 495–505, July 2014
How to Cite
Putz, F. E. and Romero, C. (2014), Futures of Tropical Forests (sensu lato). Biotropica, 46: 495–505. doi: 10.1111/btp.12124
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 14 FEB 2014
- United Kingdom's Department for International Development
- Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)
- CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA)
- Evaluation of the Impacts of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- 2008. Changing governance of the world's forests. Science 320: 1460–1462. , , and .
- 2014. Do commercial forest plantations reduce pressure on natural forests? Evidence form forest policy reform in Uganda. For. Pol. Econ. 40: 48–56. , and .
- 2010. Policies for reduced deforestation and their impact on agriculture. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 107: 19639–19644. .
- 2013. Designing and implementing effective REDD+ policies: A forest transition approach. Rev. Env. Econ. Pol. 7: 91–113. , and .
- 2011. Rehabilitation of logged rainforests: Avifaunal composition, habitat structure, and implications for biodiversity-friendly REDD+. Biotropica 43: 504–511. , , and .
- 2013. Good Business: Making Private Investments Work for Tropical Forests. Tropenbos International, Wageningen, the Netherlands. , , and .
- 2012. What conservationists need to know about farming. Proc. R. Soc. B 279: 2714–2724. doi: 10.1098/rspb.2012.0515. , , and .
- 2007. Limitations and applications of parataxonomy for community forest management in Southwestern Amazonia. Ethnobot. Res. Appl. 5: 77–84. , , , and .
- 2007. Quantifying the biodiversity value of tropical primary, secondary, and plantation forests. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104: 18555–18560. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2012. The political economy of reforestation and forest restoration in Asia-Pacific: Critical issues for REDD+. Biol. Conserv. 154: 9–19. , and .
- 2010. The high value of logged tropical forests: Lessons from northern Borneo. Biodivers. Conserv. 19: 985–997. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Sacred groves: Potential for biodiversity management. Front. Ecol. Environ. 4: 519–524. , and .
- 2010. Direct conservation payments in the Brazilian Amazon: Scope and equity implications. Ecol. Econ. 69: 1272–1282. , , , , , .
- 2012. The drivers of contract eucalypt farming in Thailand. Int. For. Rev. 14: 1–12. , and .
- 2011. Does community forest management provide global environmental benefits and improve local welfare?. Front. Ecol. Environ. 10: 29–36. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Role of eucalypt and other planted forests in biodiversity conservation and the provision of biodiversity-related ecosystem services. For. Ecol. Manage. 301: 43–50. , , , and .
- 2009. REDD in the red: Palm oil could undermine carbon payment schemes. Conserv Lett. 2: 67–73. , , and .
- 2008. Wood from planted forests. A global outlook 2005-2030. Forest Prod. J. 58: 6–18. , and .
- 2012. Can legality verification rescue global forest governance? Analyzing the potential of public and private policy intersection to ameliorate forest challenges in Southeast Asia. For. Pol. Econ. 18: 13–22. , and .
- 2009. The potential for species conservation in tropical secondary forests. Conserv. Biol. 23: 1406–1417. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. At Loggerheads? Agricultural Expansion, Poverty Reduction, and Environment in Tropical Forests. World Bank, Washington, DC.
- 2008. The fate of the tropical forest: Carbon or cattle? Ecol. Econ. 65: 207–212. , , , and .
- 2013. Largescale implementation of adaptation and mitigation actions in agriculture. CCAFS Working Paper no. 50. CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS). Copenhagen, Denmark. , , , , , and .
- 2011 Impacts of warming on tropical lowland forests. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26: 606–613.
- 2010. Comparing different forest zoning options for landscape-scale management of the boreal forest: Possible benefits of the TRIAD. For. Ecol. Manage. 259: 418–427. , , , , , and .
- 2011. “Land Grabbing” in Developing Countries: Foreign Investors, Regulation, and Codes of Conduct. Institute for Development Studies, Sussex, UK. 17 pp. , and .
- 2013. Export-oriented deforestation in Mato Grosso: Harbinger or exception for other tropical forests? Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 368: 20120713. , , , , and .
- 2011. Building on forest governance reforms through FLEGT: The best way of controlling forests' contributions to climate change?. Rev. Eur. Community Int. Environ. Law 20: 163–170. , and .
- 2011. The Banana Tree at the Gate: A History of Marginal Peoples and Global Markets in Borneo. Yale University Press, New Haven.
- 2014. Land-sharing versus land-sparing logging: Reconciling timber extraction with biodiversity conservation. Glob. Chang. Biol. 20: 183–191. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2013. Mining and the African environment. Conserv Lett. doi: 10.1111/conl.12076. , , , , , and .
- 1982. Plantation Forestry in the Tropics. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 2009. Do increase in agricultural yield spare land for nature? Glob. Chang. Biol. 15: 1716–1726. , , , and .
- FAO. 2010. Global Forest Resources Assessment 2010. FAO Forestry Paper 163.
- 2010. Are local people conservationists? Analysis of transition dynamics from agroforests to monoculture plantations in Indonesia Ecol. Soc. 15: 37. , , and .
- 2011. The high costs of conserving Southeast Asia's lowland rainforests. Front. Ecol. Environ. 9: 329–334. , , , and .
- 2009. Prospects for tropical forest biodiversity in a human-modified world. Ecol. Lett. 12: 561–582. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Primary forests are irreplaceable for sustaining tropical biodiversity. Nature 478: 378–381. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2014. Food security and sustainable intensification. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. 369: 1–10. , and .
- 2011. The Greener Side of REDD. Rights and Resources Initiative, Washington, DC. , , , and .
- 2014. Carbon emissions performance of commercial logging in East Kalimantan, Indonesia. Glob. Chang. Biol. 20: 923–937. , , and .
- 2010. Advancing tropical forestry curricula through non-timber forest products. Int. For. Rev. 12: 418–426. , and .
- 2011. Impacts of public policies and farmer preferences on agroforestry practices in Kerala, India. Environ. Manage. 48: 351–364. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The ecology and ecosystem services of native trees: Implications for reforestation and land restoration in Mesoamerica. For. Ecol. Manage. 261: 1553–1557. , , , and .
- 2013. High-resolution global maps of 21st-Century forest cover change. Science 342: 850–853. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Integrating agricultural landscapes with biodiversity conservation in the Mesoamerican hotspot. Conserv. Biol. 22: 8–15. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2013. Novel Ecosystems: Intervening in the New Ecological World Order. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford. , , and (editors).
- 2012. Ecological thresholds at the savanna-forest boundary: How plant traits, resources and fire govern the distribution of tropical biomes. Ecol. Lett. 15: 759–768. , , , , , , , and .
- 2012. The Global Economics of Forestry. Resources for the Future Press, New York.
- 1998. Economic Models of Tropical Deforestation: A Review. Center for International Forestry Research, Bogor, Indonesia. , and .
- 2010. Carbon stocks in above-ground biomass of monoculture plantations, mixed species plantations, and environmental restoration plantings in north-east Australia. Ecol. Manag. Restor. 11: 119–126. , and .
- 2007. Questioning rent for development swaps: New marketbased instruments for biodiversity acquisition and the land-use issue in tropical countries. Int. For. Rev. 9: 503–513. .
- Kementerian Kehutanan Republik Indonesia (KKRI). 2010. Surat keputusan Direktur Jenderal Bina Produksi Kehutanan No. SK.31/VI-BPHA/2010 tentang penunjukan pemegang IUPHHK pada hutan alam sebagai pelaksana silvikultur TPTJ dengan teknik silin. Direktorat Jenderal Bina Produksi Kehutanan, Kementrian Kehutanan, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- 2012. Seeding ecological restoration of tropical forests: Priority setting under REDD+. Biol. Conserv. 154: 34–41.
- 2013. Uniform global deforestation patterns—An empirical analysis. For. Pol. Econ. 28: 23–37. , , and .
- 2013. Conservation of tropical plant biodiversity: What have we done, where are we going? Biotropica 45: 693–708.
- 2002. Towards a general model of forest management through time: Evidence from Australia, USA, and Canada. Land Use Policy 19: 193–206. , and .
- 2012. Democratic less-developed countries cause global deforestation. Int. For. Rev. 14: 299–313.
- 2014. Agricultural expansion and its impacts on tropical nature. Trends Ecol. Evol. 29: 107–116. , , and .
- 2014. Effects of a policy-induced income shock on forest-dependent households in the Peruvian Amazon. Ecol. Econ. 97: 1–9. , and .
- 2009. The emerging era of novel tropical forests. Biotropica 41: 589–591.
- 2002. When is a forest not a forest? J. For. 100: 21–28.
- 2001. Forestry in New Zealand: The opposite of multiple use? In M. Palo, J. Uusivuori, and G. Mery (Eds.). World Forests, Markets and Policies, pp. 365–370. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
- 2011. Protected area downgrading, downsizing, and degazettement (PADDD) and its conservation implications. Conserv Lett. 4: 9–20. , and .
- 2001. Forests of consumption: Postproductivism, postmaterialism, and the postindustrial forest. Environ. Plann. C Gov. Policy 19: 249–268.
- 2014. Drug policy as conservation policy. Science 343: 489–490. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Cost comparisons of reduced-impact and conventional logging in the tropics. J. For. Econ. 18: 242–256. , and .
- 2013. People's perceptions about the importance of forests on Borneo. PLoS ONE 8: e73008 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0073008. , , , , , , , and .
- 2013. Managing Forests as Complex Adaptive Systems: Building Resilience to the Challenge of Global Change. Routledge, New York, NY. , , and .
- 2007. Domestic forests: A new paradigm for integrating local communities' forestry into tropical forest science. Ecol. Soc. 12: 1. , , , and .
- 2009. Reforesting Landscapes: Linking Pattern and Process. Springer Landscape Series, Dordrecht, the Netherlands. , and .
- 2013. Governance regime and location influence avoided deforestation success of protected areas in the Brazilian Amazon. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 110: 4956–4961. , , , and .
- 2004. Minimizing the environmental burden of oil palm trunk residues through the development of laminated veneer lumber products. Manage. Environ. Qual. 15: 484–490. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Large-scale expansion of agriculture in Amazonia may be a no-win scenario. Environ. Res. Lett. 8: 1–10. , , , and .
- 2013. Managing tree plantations as complex adaptive systems. In C. Messier, K. J. Puettmann, and K. D. Coates (Eds.). Managing Forests as Complex Adaptive Systems: Building Resilience to the Challenge of Global Change, pp. 299–326. Routledge, New York. , and .
- 2002. Sustainable forestry: Panacea or pipedream? For. Ecol. Manage. 172: 229–247. , , and .
- 2008. Beyond reduced-impact logging: Silvicultural treatments to increase growth rates of tropical trees. For. Ecol. Manage. 256: 1458–1467. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Grand theory and context-specificity in the study of forest dynamics: Forest transition theory and other directions. Prof. Geogr. 59: 105–114.
- 2010. Policy Impacts on Deforestation: Lessons Learned from Past Experience to Inform New Initiatives. Nicholas Institute, Duke University, Durham, NC. , , and .
- 2011. Understanding and integrating local perceptions of trees and forests into incentives for sustainable landscape management. Environ. Manage. 48: 334–349. , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Reconciling food production and biodiversity conservation: Land sharing and land sparing compared. Science 333: 1289–1291. , , , and .
- 2012. Agriculture and deforestation: Is REDD+ rooted in evidence? For. Pol. Econ. 21: 62–70. , and .
- 2008. Community Forestry in the Amazon: The Unsolved Challenge of Forests and the Poor. Overseas Development Institute, Natural Resource Perspectives 112: 1–4. , and .
- 2003. War and Tropical Forests: Conservation in Areas of Armed Conflict. Haworth Press, New York. (Ed.).
- 2009. Dangers of carbon-based conservation. Global Environ. Change 19: 400–401. , and .
- 2010. Tropical forest definitions, degradation, phase shifts, and further transitions. Biotropica 42: 10–20. , and .
- 2012. Helping curb tropical forest degradation by linking REDD+ with other conservation interventions: A view from the forest. Curr. Opin. Environ. Sustain. 4: 670–677. , and .
- 2012. Sustaining conservation values in selectively logged tropical forests: The attained and the attainable. Cons. Lett. 5: 296–303. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2013. The Little Book of Big Deforestation Drivers. Global Canopy Programme, Oxford. , , and .
- 1997. Can sustainable management save tropical forests? Sci. Am. 276: 44–49. , , and .
- 2004. International conservation organizations and the fate of local tropical conservation. Conserv. Biol. 18: 578–580. , and .
- 2013. An overview of current knowledge about the impacts of forest management certification: A proposed framework for its evaluation. Center for International Forestry Research Occasional Paper 91. , , , , , and .
- 2002. A tropical forest transition? Agricultural change, out-migration, and secondary forests in the Ecuadorian Amazon Ann. Assoc. Am. Geogr. 92: 87–102. , , and .
- 2014. Organizing anarchy: The food security-biodiversity-climate crisis and the genesis of rural land use planning in the developing world. Land Use Policy 36: 239–247. , and .
- 2011. Over-estimating the costs of conservation in Southeast Asia. Front. Ecol. Environ. 9: 542–544. , and .
- 2009. Critical need for new definitions of “forest” and “forest degradation” in global climate change agreements. Conserv Lett. 2: 226–232. , .
- 2008. Mediating forest transitions: ‘Grand design’ or ‘muddling through’. Conserv. Soc. 6: 320–327. , , and .
- 2013. Ten principles for a landscape approach to reconciling agriculture, conservation, and other competing land uses. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 110: 8349–8356. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Using forest plantations to spare natural forests. Environment 39: 14–30. , and .
- 2013. Australian forestry—at the crossroads? J. Trop. For. Sci. 25: 1–4.
- 2012. Are we approaching ‘peak timber’ in the tropics? Biol. Conserv. 151: 17–21. , , and .
- 1998. Harvesting intensity versus sustainability in Indonesia. For. Ecol. Manage. 108: 251–260. , , , and .
- 1995. Reinventing Nature?: Responses to Postmodern Deconstruction. Island Press, Washington, DC. , and (Eds.).
- 2011. Roads as drivers of change: Trajectories across the tri-national frontier in MAP, the Southwestern Amazon. Remote Sens. 3: 1047–1066. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Old Growth in a New World: A Pacific Northwest Icon Reexamined. Island Press, Covelo, CA. , and (Editor).
- 2009. The potential ecological costs and cobenefits of REDD: A critical review and case study from the Amazon region. Glob. Chang. Biol. 15: 2803–2824. , , , , , , , and .
- 2013. An operational framework for defining and monitoring forest degradation. Ecol. Soc. 18: 20. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Global food demand and the sustainable intensification of agriculture. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108: 20260–20264. , , , and .
- 2012. Global food security, biodiversity conservation and the future of agricultural intensification. Biol. Cons. 151: 53–59. , , , , , , , and .
- 2013. Succession of ephemeral secondary forests and their limited role for the conservation of floristic diversity in a human-modified tropical landscape. PLoS ONE 8: e82433 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0082433. , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The agricultural matrix and a future paradigm for conservation. Conserv. Biol. 21: 274–277. , and .
- 1826. Der Idolierte Staat Bezeihung auf Landwirtschaft und Nationalokonomie [The Isolated State]. Schmaucher Zarchlin, Berlin. Translated by C. M. Waternberg 1966. Pergamon Press, New York.
- 2005. Seeing farmers for the trees: Community forestry and the arborealisation of agriculture in Northern Thailand. Asia Pac. Viewp. 45: 311–324.
- 2012. As Good as Wood. Forest Research Institute Malaysia, Kepong. , , , and .
- 1995. Are you an environmentalist or do you work for a living? In W. Cronon (Ed.). Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature, pp. 171–185. W.W. Norton and Company, New York.
- 2013. Navjot's nightmare revisited: Logging, agriculture, and biodiversity in Southeast Asia. Trends Ecol. Evol. 28: 531–540. , , , , and .
- 2010. The future of tropical forests. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 1195: 1–27.
- 2010. Globalisation and the foreignisation of space: Seven processes driving the current global land grab. J. Peasant Stud. 37: 429–447.