Social and emotional aspects of learning (SEAL) for secondary schools: implementation difficulties and their implications for school-based mental health promotion
Article first published online: 11 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Child and Adolescent Mental Health © 2012 Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health.
Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Special Issue: Focus on child and adolescent mental health in schools
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 158–164, September 2013
How to Cite
Lendrum, A., Humphrey, N. and Wigelsworth, M. (2013), Social and emotional aspects of learning (SEAL) for secondary schools: implementation difficulties and their implications for school-based mental health promotion. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 18: 158–164. doi: 10.1111/camh.12006
- Issue published online: 22 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUL 2012
- Department for Education
- 2012). Development of an interconnected systems framework for school mental health. Available from: http://www.pbis.org/school/school_mental_health.aspx. [last accessed 10 March 2012]. , , & (
- 1976). Implementation of educational innovations. The Educational Forum, 40, 345–370. , & (
- 2006). Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 3, 77–101. , & (
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services (2008). Children and young people in mind: The final report of the national CAMHS review. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_090398.pdf.. [last accessed 18 November 2011].
- 2010). Trends in adolescent emotional problems in England: A comparison of two national cohorts twenty years apart. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 51, 885–894. , , , & (
- Department for Children, Schools and Families (2006). School performance tables 2006. Available from: http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/performancetables/schools_06.shtml.. [last accessed 6 November 2007].
- Department for Education and Skills (2004). Every child matters: Change for children. Nottingham: Department for Education and Skills.
- Department for Education and Skills (2005). Excellence and enjoyment: Social and emotional aspects of learning. London: Department for Education and Skills.
- Department for Education and Skills (2007). Social and emotional aspects of learning for secondary schools (SEAL): Guidance booklet. Nottingham: Department for Education and Skills.
- 2008). Implementation matters: A review of research on the influence of implementation on program outcomes and the factors affecting implementation. American Journal of Community Psychology, 41, 327–350. , & (
- 2011). The impact of enhancing students' social and emotional learning: A meta-analysis of school-based universal interventions. Child Development, 82, 405–432. , , , , & (
- 2003). The British child and adolescent mental health survey 1999: The prevalence of DSM-IV disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 42, 1203–1211. , , & (
- Fundacion Marcelino Botin (2008). Social and emotional education: An international analysis. Santander: Fundacion Marcelino Botin.
- 1995). Emotional intelligence. New York: Bantam. (
- 2008). Kidsmatter: A population health model to support student mental health and well-being in primary schools. International Journal of Mental Health Promotion, 10, 13–20. , , , , , , … & (
- 2010). School-based prevention: Current status and future challenges. Effective Education, 2, 27–52. (
- 2005). The study of implementation in school-based preventive interventions: Theory, practice and research. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services. , , , & (
- 2010). Social and emotional aspects of learning (SEAL) programme in secondary schools: National evaluation. London: Department for Education. Available from: https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/DFE-RR049.pdf , , & (
- 2009). Embedding citizenship education in secondary schools in England (2002-08): Citizenship education longitudinal study - seventh annual report. London: Department for Children, Schools and Families. , , , , & (
- 2011). The feasibility and acceptability of an approach to emotional well-being support for high school students. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 16, 193–200. , , & (
- 2010). Part and parcel of teaching? Secondary school staff's views on supporting student emotional health and well-being. British Educational Research Journal, 36, 919–935. , , , , & (
- 2010). Implementing social and emotional aspects of learning (SEAL) in secondary schools in England: Issues and implications. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Manchester, Manchester. (
- The importance of studying the implementation of interventions in school settings. Oxford Review of Education. , & (In press).
- 2010). Teachers' recognition of children's mental health problems. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 15, 150–156. , & (
- 2000). Child and adolescent mental health and primary health care: Current status and future directions. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 13, 369–373. , & (
- 2010). Evaluation of enterprise education in England. London: Department for Education. , , & (
- 2000). The mental health of children and adolescents in Great Britain. London: Office for National Statistics. , , , & (
- 2010). Social and emotional learning in the classroom: Promoting mental health and academic success. London: The Guilford Press. , & (
- 1994), Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook (2nd edn). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage , & (
- 2009). Childhood mental health and life chances in post-war Britain: Insights from three national birth cohort studies. London: The Smith Institute, Unison, MRC Unit for Lifelong Health and Ageing & Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health. , , , , & (
- 2009). Mental health and special educational needs: Exploring a complex relationship. British Journal of Special Education, 36, 1–6. , , , & (
- 2006). Mental health help-seeking and young people: A review. Pastoral Care in Education, 24, 4–13. , & (
- 2008). Recognising and managing pupils with mental health difficulties: Teachers' views and experiences on working with educational psychologists in schools. Pastoral Care in Education, 26, 127–142. , , & (
- 2007). Secondary social, emotional and behaviourial skills (SEBS) pilot evaluation. London: Department for Children, Schools and Families. , , , & (
- 2011). Promoting children's well-being. In D. Skuse, H. Bruce, L. Dowdney & D. Mrazek (Eds.), Child psychology and psychiatry: Frameworks for practice (2nd edn) (pp 72– 77). West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell. (
- 2010). Mental health and social and emotional learning: Evidence, principles, tensions, balances. Advances in School Mental Health Promotion, 3, 5–17. (
- 2003). What works in developing children's emotional and social competence and well-being? Nottingham: Department for Education and Skills. , & (
- 2012). A national evaluation of the impact of the secondary Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning (SEAL) programme. Educational Psychology, 32, 213–238. , , & (
- World Health Organisation (2005). Caring for children and adolescents with mental disorders: Setting WHO directions. Geneva: World Health Organisation.