Making Sense of Neoliberal Securitization in Urban Policing and Surveillance
Article first published online: 21 FEB 2013
© 2013 Canadian Sociological Association/La Société canadienne de sociologie
Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie
Volume 50, Issue 1, pages 52–73, February 2013
How to Cite
Deukmedjian, J. E. (2013), Making Sense of Neoliberal Securitization in Urban Policing and Surveillance. Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie, 50: 52–73. doi: 10.1111/cars.12002
- Issue published online: 21 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 21 FEB 2013
- Audit Commission for Local Authorities and the National Health Service in England and Wales. 1993. Helping with Enquiries: Tackling Crime Effectively. London: HMSO.
- 1964. Human Capital : A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education. New York: National Bureau of Economic Research; distributed by Columbia University Press. .
- 1976. The Economic Approach to Human Behavior. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1843. The Works of Jeremy Bentham, edited by J. Bowring. Edinburgh: W. Tait; Simpkin, Marshall.
- 1995. The Panopticon Writings. London, New York: Verso.
- 2000. “Post-Panopticism.” Economy and Society 29:285–307. .
- 1968. The Soviet Police System. London: Bodley Head. .
- 1999. Governmentality: Power and Rule in Modern Society. London: Sage. .
- 2009. “From Community to Public Safety Governance in Policing and Child Protection.” Canadian Review of Sociology 45:367–88. and .
- 2004. “Security in the Age of Networks.” Policing and Society 14:76–91. .
- 1979. Suicide: A Study in Sociology, edited by G. Simpson. Translated by J. Spaulding and G. Simpson. New York: Free Press. .
- 2000. “The Moral Hazards of Neoliberalism: Lessons from the Private Insurance Industry.” Economy and Society 29:532–58. , and .
- 1982. Reproducing Order: A Study of Police Patrol Work. Toronto, Buffalo: Published in association with the Centre of Criminology, University of Toronto by University of Toronto Press. .
- Food Safety and Inspection Service. 2007. “Fact Sheets,” vol. 2007: United States Department of Agriculture.
- 1978. “About the Concept of the ’Dangerous Individual' in 19th-Century Legal Psychiatry.” International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 1:1–18. .
- 1995. Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison. Translated by A. Sheridan. New York: Vintage Books. .
- 2003. Society Must be Defended: Lectures at the College de France, 1975–76, edited by M. Bertani, A. Fontana, F. Ewald, and A. Davidson. Translated by D. Macey. New York: Picador. .
- 2007. Security, Territory, Population: Lectures at the College de France, 1977–1978, edited by M. Senellart, F. Ewald, A. Fontana, and A.I. Davidson. Translated by G. Burchell. Basingstoke, England: Palgrave Macmillan. .
- 2008. The Birth of Biopolitics: Lectures at the College de France, 1978–79, edited by M. Senellart, F. Ewald, A. Fontana, and A. Davidson. Translated by G. Burchell. Basingstoke, England, New York: Palgrave Macmillan. .
- 1985. “The Criminal and His Science: A Critical Account of the Formation of Criminology at the End of the Nineteenth Century.” British Journal of Criminology 25:109–37. .
- 1990. The Taming of Chance. Cambridge, England, New York: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1830. “Hansard's Parliamentary Debates: Forming a Continuation of ‘the Parliamentary History of England, from the Earliest Period to the Year 1803.’” In Commencing with the Accession of George IV and Terminating with the Close of His Reign, vol. XXV. Comprising the period from the seventh day of June to the twenty-third day of July, 1830. London: T. C. Hansard.
- 2007. The Road to Serfdom: Text and Documents. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Justinian. 1904. The Digest of Justinian, vol. 1. Translated by C.H. Monro. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1974. The Kansas City Preventive Patrol Experiment: A Summary Report. Washington: Police Foundation. .
- 1964. The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money. San Diego: Harcourt, Inc. .
- 1901. A History of Police in England. London: Methuen & Co. .
- 2009. “Governing Insecurity: Contingency Planning, Protection, Resilience.” Economy and Society 38:230–54. and .
- 2011. “RCMP's Secret Files on Tommy Douglas.” CNews. Calgary: Canoe Inc. .
- 2006. “Security Intelligence Networks and the Transformation of Contract Private Security.” Policing and Society 16:50–66. and .
- 2002. “Policing, Securitization and Democratization in Europe.” Criminology and Criminal Justice 2:125–53. .
- 2006. “Intelligence Led Policing, Managerialism and Community Engagement: Competing Priorities and the Role of the National Intelligence Model in the UK.” Policing and Society 16:67–85. and .
- 2009. “When Radioactive Snow Falls without Warning.” The Globe and Mail, vol. November 4. Toronto: Philip Crawley.
- 1981. Freedom and Security Under the Law: Second Report. Ottawa: The Commission. .
- 1938. “Social Structure and Anomie.” American Sociological Review 3:672–82. .
- 1763. The Police of France: Or an Account of the Laws and Regulations Established in that Kingdom, for the Preservation of Peace and the Preventing of Robberies. To which is Added, a Particular Description of the Police and Government of the City of Paris. London: E. Owen and T. Harrison in Warwick-Lane. .
- 1990. A Vision of the Future of Policing in Canada: Police-challenge 2000. Ottawa, Ontario: Solicitor General Canada. and .
- 1996. “Post-Keynesian Policing.” Economy and Society 25:137–55. and .
- 1954. “The Police Challenge in Our Great Cities.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 291:5–13. .
- 1853. The Speeches of the Late Right Honourable Sir Robert Peel, Bart. Delivered in The House of Commons. With a General Explanatory Index, and a Brief Chronological Summary of the Various Subjects on which the Speeches were Delivered, vol. 1. London: George Routledge and Co. .
- 1873. A History of Crime in England Illustrating the Changes of the Laws in the Progress of Civilization, vol. 1. London: Smith, Elder & Co. .
- 1987. The Origins of the Vigilant State: The London Metropolitan Police Special Branch before the First World War. London: Widenfeld and Nicolson. .
- 1996. “Governing ‘Advanced’ Liberal Democracies.” Pp. 37–64 in Foucault and Political Reason: Liberalism, Neo-Liberalism and Rationalities of Government, edited by A. Barry, T. Osborne and N. Rose. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. .
- 2009. Policing Stalin's Socialism: Repression and Social Order in the Soviet Union 1924–1953. Yale: Yale University and the Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. .
- 1984. Dial-a-Cop: A Study of Police Mobilisation. Toronto: Centre of Criminology, University of Toronto. .
- 2003. The Wealth of Nations. Introduction by Alan B. Krueger; Edited, with Notes and Marginal Summary, by Edwin Cannan. New York, NY: Bantam Classic. and .
- 1981. Calling the Police: Citizen Reporting of Serious Crime. Washington, DC: Police Executive Research Forum. and .
- United States Congress Senate Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities and Library of Congress [a.k.a. Church Committee]. Congressional Research Service. 1976. Final Report of the Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities, United States Senate: Together with Additional, Supplemental, and Separate Views. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off.
- 1936. The Police and Modern Society. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. .
- 1941. Distribution of Police Patrol Force. Chicago, IL: Public Administration Service.
- 1950. Police Administration. New York: McGraw-Hill.