This work was generously supported by grants from the National Science Foundation (SBE-0354453) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC 410-2008-1681). Any opinions, findings, and conclusions expressed in the study are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of NSF or SSHRC. We are grateful to the parents and children who participated in this research. We would like to thank Joy Durham, Jill Huynh, Reema Jayaker, Leah Lee, Jacque Mullen, Atsuko Ishida, and Sarah Zebrowski for their assistance with the study, and Betty Repacholi, Yuichi Shoda, and Cheryl Kaiser for their comments on an earlier version of this manuscript.
Measuring Beliefs in Centimeters: Private Knowledge Biases Preschoolers' and Adults' Representation of Others' Beliefs
Article first published online: 12 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Child Development © 2013 Society for Research in Child Development, Inc.
Volume 84, Issue 6, pages 1846–1854, November/December 2013
How to Cite
Sommerville, J. A., Bernstein, D. M. and Meltzoff, A. N. (2013), Measuring Beliefs in Centimeters: Private Knowledge Biases Preschoolers' and Adults' Representation of Others' Beliefs. Child Development, 84: 1846–1854. doi: 10.1111/cdev.12110
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 12 APR 2013
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: SBE-0354453
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Grant Number: SSHRC 410-2008-1681
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions and you will be able to log in to access content. Some users may also log in directly via OpenAthens.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!
Patients and/or caregivers may access this content for use in relation to their own personal healthcare or that of a family member only. Terms and conditions will apply.