Efficiency of immunoglobulin G replacement therapy in common variable immunodeficiency: correlations with clinical phenotype and polymorphism of the neonatal Fc receptor
Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2013
© 2012 British Society for Immunology
Clinical & Experimental Immunology
Volume 171, Issue 2, pages 186–194, February 2013
How to Cite
Gouilleux-Gruart, V., Chapel, H., Chevret, S., Lucas, M., Malphettes, M., Fieschi, C., Patel, S., Boutboul, D., Marson, M.-N., Gérard, L., Lee, M., Watier, H., Oksenhendler, E., DEFI study group (2013), Efficiency of immunoglobulin G replacement therapy in common variable immunodeficiency: correlations with clinical phenotype and polymorphism of the neonatal Fc receptor. Clinical & Experimental Immunology, 171: 186–194. doi: 10.1111/cei.12002
- Issue online: 3 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 15 OCT 2012 02:41AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 OCT 2012
- national program for clinical research. Grant Number: PHRC 2005
- National Center on Hereditary Immune Deficiencies (CEREDIH)
- Laboratoire Français du fractionnement et des Biotechnologies (LFB)
- Baxter BioScience
- CSL Behring
- NIHR Oxford Biomedical Research Centre
- 1Diagnostic criteria for primary immunodeficiencies. [Representing PAGID (Pan-American Group for Immunodeficiency) and ESID (European Society for Immunodeficiencies)]. Clin Immunol 1999; 93:190–197., , .
- 2Efficacy of intravenous immunoglobulin in the prevention of pneumonia in patients with common variable immunodeficiency. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2002; 109:1001–1004., , .
- 3Intravenous immunoglobulin replacement prevents severe and lower respiratory tract infections, but not upper respiratory tract and non-respiratory infections in common variable immune deficiency. Allergy 2005; 60:385–390., , , .
- 4Effectiveness of immunoglobulin replacement therapy on clinical outcome in patients with primary antibody deficiencies: results from a multicenter prospective cohort study. J Clin Immunol 2011; 31:315–322., , et al.
- 5Common variable immunodeficiency disorders: division into distinct clinical phenotypes. Blood 2008; 112:277–286., , et al.
- 6Pharmacokinetics of subcutaneous immunoglobulin and their use in dosing of replacement therapy in patients with primary immunodeficiencies. Clin Immunol 2011; 139:133–141., , , .
- 7Confirmation and improvement of criteria for clinical phenotyping in common variable immunodeficiency disorders in replicate cohorts. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012; 130:1197–8.e9., , et al.
- 8Infection outcomes in patients with common variable immunodeficiency disorders: relationship to immunoglobulin therapy over 22 years. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:1354–1360.e4., , , , , .
- 9Immunoglobulin dosage and switch from intravenous to subcutaneous immunoglobulin replacement therapy in patients with primary hypogammaglobulinemia: decreasing dosage does not alter serum IgG levels. J Clin Immunol 2010; 30:602–606., , et al.
- 10A thoretical model of gamma-globulin catabolism. Nature 1964; 203:1352–1354., , .
- 11An Fc receptor structurally related to MHC class I antigens. Nature 1989; 337:184–187., .
- 12Neonatal Fc receptor: from immunity to therapeutics. J Clin Immunol 2010; 30:777–789., , et al.
- 13Kinetics of FcRn-mediated recycling of IgG and albumin in human: pathophysiology and therapeutic implications using a simplified mechanism-based model. Clin Immunol 2007; 122:146–155., , , .
- 14Immune and non-immune functions of the (not so) neonatal Fc receptor, FcRn. Semin Immunopathol. 2009; 31:223–236., , et al.
- 15Receptor-mediated immunoglobulin G transport across mucosal barriers in adult life: functional expression of FcRn in the mammalian lung. J Exp Med 2002; 196:303–310., , et al.
- 16Neonatal FcR expression in bone marrow-derived cells functions to protect serum IgG from catabolism. J Immunol 2007; 179:4580–4588., , , .
- 17A variable number of tandem repeats polymorphism influences the transcriptional activity of the neonatal Fc receptor alpha-chain promoter. Immunology 2006; 119:83–89., , , , , .
- 18Infections in 252 patients with common variable immunodeficiency. Clin Infect Dis 2008; 46:1547–1554., , et al.
- 19Replacement therapy with high dose intravenous gamma-globulin improves chronic sinopulmonary disease in patients with hypogammaglobulinemia. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1988; 7:S92–96., .
- 20The effect of two different dosages of intravenous immunoglobulin on the incidence of recurrent infections in patients with primary hypogammaglobulinemia. A randomized, double-blind, multicenter crossover trial. Ann Intern Med 2001; 135:165–174., , et al.
- 21Subcutaneous administration of IgG. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 2008; 28:779–802..
- 22Impact of trough IgG on pneumonia incidence in primary immunodeficiency: a meta-analysis of clinical studies. Clin Immunol 2010; 137:21–30., , , .
- 23Higher doses of subcutaneous IgG reduce resource utilization in patients with primary immunodeficiency. J Clin Immunol 2012; 32:281–289., , , , , .
- 24How I treat common variable immune deficiency. Blood 2010; 116:7–15..
- 25Disorders of immunoglobulin metabolism. N Engl J Med 1969; 281:1170–1177..
- 26Metabolism of gamma-SS globulin in secondary hypogammaglobulinemia. Am J Med 1963; 35:708–714..
- 27Distribution and catabolism of IVIg preparations in immunodeficient patients. In: Imbach P , ed. Immunotherapy with intravenous immunoglobulins. London: Academic Press, 1991:37–44..
- 28Lung disease, antibodies and other unresolved issues in immune globulin therapy for antibody deficiency. Clin Exp Immunol 2009; 157 (Suppl. 1):12–16..
- 29Association of FcRn expression with lung abnormalities and IVIG catabolism in patients with common variable immunodeficiency. Clin Immunol 2010; 136:419–425., , et al.