The authors have no conflict of interest.
The golden era of ocular disease gene discovery: Race to the finish
Article first published online: 9 JUL 2013
Published 2013. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Volume 84, Issue 2, pages 99–101, August 2013
How to Cite
The golden era of ocular disease gene discovery: Race to the finish., .
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 9 JUL 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 28 MAY 2013 12:35PM EST
- Manuscript Revised: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2013
- clinical management;
- next-generation sequencing;
- ocular disease;
Within the last decade, technological advances have led to amazing genetic insights into Mendelian and multifactorial ocular diseases. We provide a perspective of the progress in gene discovery and discuss the implications. We believe that the time has come to redefine the goals and begin utilizing the genetic knowledge for clinical management and treatment design. The unbelievable opportunities now exist for those nimble enough to seize them.