SATO: Surface Area Traversal Order for Shadow Ray Tracing
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors Computer Graphics Forum © 2014 The Eurographics Association and John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Computer Graphics Forum
How to Cite
Nah, J.-H. and Manocha, D. (2014), SATO: Surface Area Traversal Order for Shadow Ray Tracing. Computer Graphics Forum. doi: 10.1111/cgf.12341
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2014
- National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF). Grant Number: NRF-2012R1A6A3A03040332
- ARO. Grant Numbers: W911NF-10-1-0506, W911NF-12-1-0430, W911NF-13-C-0037
- NSF. Grant Numbers: 0917040, 1320644
- ray tracing;
- traversal order;
- I.3.7 [Computer Graphics]: Three-Dimensional Graphics and Realism–Ray Tracing
We present the surface area traversal order (SATO) metric to accelerate shadow ray traversal. Our formulation uses the surface area of each child node to compute the TO. In this metric, we give a traversal priority to the child node with the larger surface area to quickly find occluders. Our algorithm reduces the pre-processing overhead significantly, and is much faster than other metrics. Overall, the SATO is useful for ray tracing large and complex dynamic scenes (e.g. a few million triangles) with shadows.