Do-It-Yourself Urban Design: The Social Practice of Informal “Improvement” Through Unauthorized Alteration
Article first published online: 16 SEP 2013
© 2013 American Sociological Association
City & Community
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 5–25, March 2014
How to Cite
Douglas, G. C. C. (2014), Do-It-Yourself Urban Design: The Social Practice of Informal “Improvement” Through Unauthorized Alteration. City & Community, 13: 5–25. doi: 10.1111/cico.12029
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 16 SEP 2013
- 2004. “The Desert Imagination in the City of Signs: Cultural Implications of Sponsored Transgression and Branded Graffiti.” In Cultural Criminology Unleashed, edited by J. Ferrell, K. Hayward, W. Morrison, and M. Presdee. London: Glass House Press. .
- 2004. “Is it Philosophy or Pornography? Graffiti at the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que.” Journal of American Culture 27(1):86–98. , and .
- 2004. Belltown Paradise/Making Their Own Plans. Chicago, IL: White Walls. , and , eds.
- 2002 . Relational Aesthetics, translated by S. Pleasance and F. Woods. Paris: Le presses du reel. .
- 2010. “After Neoliberalization?” Globalizations 7(3):327–45. , , and .
- 2012. Urban Guide for Alternative Use: The City as Source Material. Available at http://www.altuseguide.com. Accessed 21 June, 2012. .
- 1987. Spraycan Art. New York and London: Thames and Hudson. , and .
- 2009. “April Showers Bring Seed-Sewing Volunteers.” The New York Times, New York Ed., 12 April: A27. .
- 2011a. “DIY Urban Design, From Guerrilla Gardening to Yarn Bombing,” GOOD, 12 April, 2011. Available at: http://www.good.is/post/diy-urban-design-from-guerrilla-gardening-to-yarn-bombing/. Accessed 21 June, 2012.
- 2011b. “Do-it-Yourself Urban Design: ‘Improving’ the City Through Unauthorized, Creative Contributions.” Paper Presented in the Regular Session on Popular Culture at the American Sociological Association Annual Conference, Las Vegas, 21 August.
- 2012. “Do it Yourself Urban Design in the Help Yourself City.” In Spontaneous Interventions: Design Actions for the Common Good, edited by C. L. Ho and G. Douglas. Washington, DC: Architect/Hanley Wood.
- 2009. “Banksy's Graffiti: A Not-so-simple Case of Criminal Damage?” The Journal of Criminal Law 73:345–61. .
- 2011. “Critical Ethnography and the Neoliberal City: The US Example.” Ethnography 12(1):3–11. , and .
- 1990. “Manifesto.” Obey website. Available at http://obeygiant.com/about. Accessed 14 Aug. 2011. .
- 1975. “A Partial Replication of Kinsey's Graffiti Study.” Journal of Sex Research 11(2):158–63. , and .
- 1995. “Urban Graffiti.” Youth and Society 27(1):73–92. .
- 2001. Tearing Down the Streets: Adventures in Urban Anarchy. New York: Palgrave. .
- DIY Urban Design: Opportunities and Challenges for Planners.” The Journal of Urbanism. . Forthcoming. “
- Fishman, Robert, ed. 2000. The American Planning Tradition. Washington, DC: Woodrow Wilson Center.
- 2002. The Rise of the Creative Class: And How It's Transforming Work, Leisure, Community, and Everyday Life. New York, NY: Basic Books. .
- 2004. Graffiti World: Street Art from Five Continents. New York, NY: Harry N. Abrams. .
- 2004. “The Costs of Urban Property Crime.” The Economic Journal 114:441–63. .
- 2006. Spaces of Global Capitalism: A Theory of Uneven Geographical Development. London and New York: Verso. .
- Ho, Cathy Lang, and Gordon Douglas (eds). 2012. Spontaneous Interventions: Design Actions for the Common Good. Washington, DC: Architect/Hanley Wood.
- Hou, Jeffrey (ed). 2010. Insurgent Public Space: Guerrilla Urbanism and the Remaking of Contemporary Cities. New York, NY: Routledge.
- 2012. “Cities Within the City: Do-It-Yourself Urbanism and the Right to the City.” Paper presented at the Center for Place Culture and Politics and the Public Space Working Group, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, February 23. .
- 2013. “Cities Within the City: Do-It-Yourself Urbanism and the Right to the City.” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 37(3):941–56. .
- 2008. “The Spreading of Disorder.” Science 322(5908):1681–85. , , and .
- 2009. Triumph of Order: Democracy and Public Space in New York and London. New York and London: Columbia University Press. .
- 2011. Urban Flow: Bike Messengers and the City. Ithaca, NY: ILR Press. .
- 2012. “Parkour, the Affective Appropriation of Urban Space, and the Real/Virtual Dialectic.” City & Community 11(3):229–53. .
- 2010. “D.I.Y. Culture.” The New York Times, New York Ed., 18 April:AR1,19. .
- 1953. Sexual Behavior in the Human Female. Philadelphia: Saunders Co. , , , and .
- Klanten, Robert, Sven Ehmann, and Matthias Hubner (eds). 2010. Urban Interventions: Personal Projects in Public Spaces. Berlin and London: Gestalten.
- 2002. One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity. Cambridge, MA & London: MIT Press. .
- 1995. Mapping the Terrain: New Genre Public Art. Seattle: Bay Press. (ed).
- 2010. “Fill in the Blank: Culture Jamming and the Advertising of Agency.” New Directions for Youth Development 125:99–112. .
- 2008 (1947). Critique of Everyday Life Vol. I: Introduction. 2nd Ed., translated by J. Moore. London and New York: Verso. .
- 2009 (1966). “Theoretical Problems of Autogestion.” In State, Space, World: Selected Essays, edited by N. Brenner, and S. Elden, translated by G. Moore, N. Brenner, and S. Elden. Minneapolis and London: University of Minnesota Press. .
- 2004. Hip: The History. New York: Harper Collins. .
- 2011. Contemporary Urban Planning. 9th Ed. Boston, MA: Longman.
- 2006. Neo-Bohemia: Art & Commerce in the Postindustrial City. New York, NY: Routledge. .
- 2011. Tactical Urbanism Handbook. Vol. 1. Available at: http://www.scribd.com/khawarzad/d/51354266-Tactical-Urbanism-Volume-1. Accessed June 22, 2012. Published online March 23, 2011. .
- 2004. Street Logos. New York and London: Thames and Hudson. .
- 2009. Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti. Vancouver, BC: Arsenal Pulp Press. , and .
- Partizaning. 2012. Partizaning: Participatory Urban Planning. Available at: http://eng.partizaning.org/. Accessed 21 June, 2012.
- 1999. Wallbangin’: Graffiti and Gangs in L.A. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- 2006. “Notes Towards Autonomous Geographies: Creation, Resistance and Self-Management as Survival Tactics.” Progress in Human Geography 30(6):730–46. , and .
- 2002. Painting Without Permission: Hip-Hop Graffiti Subculture. Westport, CT: Bergin and Garvey. .
- 2004. On Guerrilla Gardening: A Handbook for Gardening Without Boundaries. New York, NY: Bloomsbury. .
- 2007. “Where the Crafts Babes and D.I.Y. Dudes Are.” The New York Times online, 14 June. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/24/fashion/24renegade.html. Accessed 16 August 2012. .
- 1999. “Systematic Social Observation of Public Spaces: A New Look at Disorder in Urban Neighborhoods.” American Journal of Sociology 105(3):603–51. , and .
- 1995. “Urban Community Gardens as Contested Space.” Geographical Review 85(3):364–81. .
- 1985. Weapons of the Weak: Everyday Forms of Peasant Resistance. New Haven, CT, and London: Yale University Press.
- 2010. Trespass: A History of Uncomissioned Urban Art. Los Angeles and Köln: Taschen. , , , and (eds).
- 2009. “How Many Cases Do I Need? On Science and the Logic of Case Selection in Field Research.” Ethnography 10(1):5–38. .
- 2008 (1984). Uneven Development. 3rd Ed. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press. .
- 2009. Graffiti Lives: Beyond the Tag in New York's Urban Underground. New York and London: NYU Press.
- 2004. “Counter-Tribes, Global Protest, and Carnivals of Reclamation.” Peace Review 16(4):421–28. .
- 2010. “Brooklyn: The Brand.” The New York Times, New York Ed., 15 Dec.:D5. .
- 1981. Towards the Planned City: Germany, Britain, the United States and France 1780–1914. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. .
- 2004. The Interventionists: Users’ Manual for the Creative Disruption of Everyday Life. Boston and North Adams, MA: MIT Press and MASS MoCA. , and (eds).
- 1978. From Mobilization to Revolution. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley. .
- 2011. “WikiCity – How Citizens Improve Their Cities.” This Big City website. Available at: http://thisbigcity.net/wikicity-citizens-improve-cities/. Accessed 21 June, 2012. .
- 2010. “Street Art, Sweet Art? Reclaiming the ‘Public’ in Public Space.” Journal of Consumer Research 37(3):511–29. , , , and .
- 2009. “Spots of Spatial Desire: Skateparks, Skateplazas, and Urban Politics.” Journal of Sport and Social Issues 33(2):130–49. .
- 2002. The Struggle for Eden: Community Gardens in New York City. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger. .
- 1982. “The Police and Neighborhood Safety: Broken Windows.” The Atlantic Monthly 127:29–38. , and .
- Wilson, Peter L., and Bill Weinberg, eds. 1999. Avant Gardening: Ecological Struggle in the City and the World. Brooklyn, NY: Autonomedia.
- 2010. Case Study Research: Design and Methods 3rd Ed. Thousand Oaks, CA, London, and New Delhi: Sage. .
- 2010. Naked City: The Death and Life of Authentic Urban Places. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press. .