What is already known about this subject
- Obesity is highly prevalent and costly in the US.
- Obesity often leads to other comorbid conditions, including diabetes and hypertension.
- Obesity prevention efforts can reduce healthcare costs.
What this study adds
- Obesity combined with other comorbidities significantly increases healthcare costs per patient visit.
- The combination of obesity and depression exacerbates costs.
- The most expensive series of chronic conditions in this study included obesity, diabetes, hypertension and depression.