Evaluation of a multidisciplinary Tier 3 weight management service for adults with morbid obesity, or obesity and comorbidities, based in primary care
Article first published online: 1 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Clinical Obesity published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of World Obesity.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 4, Issue 5, pages 254–266, October 2014
How to Cite
Jennings, A., Hughes, C. A., Kumaravel, B., Bachmann, M. O., Steel, N., Capehorn, M. and Cheema, K. (2014), Evaluation of a multidisciplinary Tier 3 weight management service for adults with morbid obesity, or obesity and comorbidities, based in primary care. Clinical Obesity, 4: 254–266. doi: 10.1111/cob.12066
- Issue published online: 8 SEP 2014
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 5 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 15 SEP 2013
- NHS East of England innovation fund
- NHS Norfolk PCT
- NNCCG and donations
- 1Organisation for economic cooperation and development (OECD). Obesity and The Economics of Prevention; Fit not Fat UK Key Facts. OECD Publishing: UK, 2010. [WWW document]. URL http://www.oecd.org/health/health-systems/obesityandtheeconomicsofpreventionfitnotfat.htm (accessed March 2012).
- 2Department of health and Department for Children, Schools and Families .Healthy weight, healthy lives; a toolkit for developing local strategies. 2009. [WWW document]. URL https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/healthy-lives-healthy-people-a-call-to-action-on-obesity-in-england (accessed March 2011).
- 5NHS Commissioning board. Clinical commissioning policy: complex and specialised obesity surgery .2013 NHSCB/A05/P/a. [WWW document]. URL http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a05-p-a.pdf (accessed August 2013).
- 6Royal College of Surgeons England and British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society Guidelines Development Group. Commissioning guide for weight assessment and management clinics (Tier 3). British Obesity and Metabolic surgery society (NICE accredited) 2014 [WWW document]. URL http://www.bomss.org.uk/Commissioning-Guide-assessment-and-management-clinics-tier-3/ (accessed April 2014).
- 7Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills; 2007. Foresight project. tackling obesities: future choices. [WWW document]. URL http://www.bis.gov.uk/foresight/our-work/projects/published-projects/tackling-obesities (accessed March 2011).
- 8National Audit Office .Tackling Obesity in England.2001. [WWW document]. URL http://www.nao.org.uk/report/tackling-obesity-in-england/ (accessed March 2011).
- 10NSF group. National service framework CHD. [WWW document]. URL http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/NSF/Pages/Coronaryheartdisease.aspx (accessed March 2011).
- 11NSF group. National service framework diabetes. [WWW document]. URL http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/NSF/Pages/Diabetes.aspx (accessed March 2011).
- 12National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence NICE CG43 obesity. London 2006. [WWW document]. URL http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG43NICEGuideline.pdf (accessed March 2010).
- 13National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence NICE. PH 42 obesity-working with local communities. 2012. [WWW document]. URL http://publications.nice.org.uk/obesity-working-with-local-communities-ph42 (accessed March 2013).
- 14National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence NICE PH 35 Preventing type 2 diabetes-population and community interventions. 2011. [WWW document]. URL http://publications.nice.org.uk/preventing-type-2-diabetes-population-and-community-level-interventions-ph35 (accessed January 2013).
- 15National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence NICE PH 38 Preventing type 2 diabetes-risk identification and interventions for individuals at high risk. 2012. [WWW document]. URL http://publications.nice.org.uk/preventing-type-2-diabetes-risk-identification-and-interventions-for-individuals-at-high-risk-ph38 (accessed January 2013).
- 16National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence NICE PH 44 Physical activity: brief advice for adults in primary care. 2013. [WWW document]. URL http://publications.nice.org.uk/physical-activity-brief-advice-for-adults-in-primary-care-ph44 (accessed September 2013).
- 17Rotherham institute for obesity. [WWW document]. URL http://www.rotherhaminstituteforobesity.co.uk (accessed March 2010).
- 18National Obesity Forum. Obesity care pathway and toolkit 2005. [WWW document]. URL http://www.nationalobesityforum.org.uk/ (accessed August 2009).
- 19Negotiating behaviour change in medical settings: the development of brief motivational interviewing. J Ment Health 1992; 1: 25–37., , .
- 20What is motivational interviewing? Behav Cogn Psychother 1995; 23: 325–334., .
- 23Systematic review of the long-term effects and economic consequences of treatments for obesity and implications for health improvement. Health Technol Assess 2004; 21: 1–458., , et al.
- 26Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. N Engl J Med 2002; 44: 1343–1349., , et al.
- 27National obesity observatory standard evaluation framework 2009. [WWW document]. URL http;//www.noo.org.uk/core/frameworks/SEF (accessed March 2011)., , .
- 29Supplement: Measuring Diet and Physical Activity in Weight Management Interventions. National Obesity Observatory: Oxford, 2011., , , .
- 32Validity and repeatability of a simple index derived from the short physical activity questionnaire used in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study. Public Health Nutr 2002; 6: 407–413., , et al.
- 33The EuroQol Group. EuroQol-a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy 1990; 16: 199–20833.
- 34Type 2 diabetes and mobility problems do not negatively impact on the success of multidisciplinary specialist medical weight management clinics, but depression might. Obes Facts 2013; 6(Suppl. 1): 109., , et al.
- 38Service evaluation of the Rotherham Institute for Obesity and comparison of 2010 and 2011 data. Obes Facts 2013; 6(Suppl. 1): 116., , .
- 4312-month weight-loss outcomes for the counterweight low energy liquid diet (LELD) and weight- loss maintenance programme delivered in primary care. Obes Facts 2012; 5(Suppl. 1): 196., , et al.