Achieving Conservation Science that Bridges the Knowledge–Action Boundary
Version of Record online: 10 APR 2013
© 2013 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 27, Issue 4, pages 669–678, August 2013
How to Cite
COOK, C. N., MASCIA, M. B., SCHWARTZ, M. W., POSSINGHAM, H. P. and FULLER, R. A. (2013), Achieving Conservation Science that Bridges the Knowledge–Action Boundary. Conservation Biology, 27: 669–678. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12050
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 APR 2012
- Australian Research Council Center of Excellence in Environmental Decisions
- Environmental Decisions Hub of the National Environmental Research Program
- 2010. From publications to public actions: when conservation biologists bridge the gap between research and implementation. BioScience 60:835–842. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. How area sensitivity in birds is studied. Conservation Biology 24:938–947. , and .
- 2010. Use of a business excellence model to improve conservation programs. Conservation Biology 24:1448–1458. , and .
- 2011. Randomized intervention analysis for detecting non-random change and management impact: dragonfly examples. Ecological Indicators 11:535–539. , and .
- 2008. Conservation and adaptation to climate change. Conservation Biology 22:1471–1476.
- 2003. Knowledge systems for sustainable development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100:8086–8091. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Health cyberinfrastructure for collaborative use-inspired research and practice. American Journal of Preventative Medicine 40:S108–S114. , , , , and .
- 1994. Endangered species recovery: finding the lessons, improving the process. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , , and , editors.
- 2005. What do conservation biologists publish? Biological Conservation 124:63–73. , , and .
- 2006. Money for nothing? A call for empirical evaluation of biodiversity conservation investments. Public Library of Sciencde Biology 4:482–488. , and .
- 2004. Minimizing the cost of environmental management decisions by optimizing statistical thresholds. Ecology Letters 7: 669–675. , , , , and .
- 1994. The new production of knowledge, the dynamics of science and research in contemporary societies. Sage, London. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Some practical suggestions for improving engagement between researchers and policy-makers in natural resource management. Ecological Management & Restoration 9:182–186. , et al.
- 2009. Delaying conservation actions for improved knowledge: How long should we wait? Ecology Letters 12:293–301. , , , , and .
- 2001. Boundary organizations in environmental policy and science: an introduction. Science, Technology and Human Values 26:339–408.
- 1978. Adaptive environmental assessment and management. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, United Kingdom.
- 2012. Increasing conservation impact and policy relevance of research through embedded experiences. Conservation Biology 26:740–742. , , and .
- 2007. A dialogue not a diatribe—effective integration of science and policy through joint fact finding. Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development"/> 49:20–34. , , and .
- 2011. Lessons learned from invasive plant control experiments: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Ecology 48:970–979. , and .
- 2001. Discovery as a basic methodology of qualitative and quantitative research. Forum: Qualitative Social Research 2: Art. 6. , and .
- 2008. Knowing but not doing: selecting priority conservation areas and the research-implementation gap. Conservation Biology 22:610–617. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Science and management in a conservation crisis: a case study with rhinoceros. Conservation Biology 17: 968–975.
- 1997. Research and evidence-based decision making. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 21:439–441.
- 1993. Uncertainty, resource exploitation, and conservation: lessons from history. Science 260:17–36. , , and .
- 2001. Ecology, conservation, and public policy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32:481–517. , , and .
- 1991. Risk analysis for conservation biologists. Conservation Biology 5:123–125.
- 2010. Long-term datasets in biodiversity research and monitoring: assessing change in ecological communities through time. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 25:574–582. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Protected area downgrading, downsizing, and degazettement (PADDD) and its conservation implications. Conservation Letters 4:9–20. , and .
- 2010. Monitoring does not always count. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 25:547–550. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Reconciling the supply of scientific information with user demands: an analysis of the problem and review of the literature. Environmental Science & Policy 10:17–38.
- 2001. Crisis in a crisis discipline. Conservation Biology 15:303–304.
- 2006. Conservation biology at twenty. Conservation Biology 20:595–596. , , and .
- 1993. The role of analytical science in natural-resource decision-making. Environmental Management 17:563–574.
- 2009. Academic research training for a nonacademic workplace: a case study of graduate student alumni who work in conservation. Conservation Biology 23:1357–1368. , and .
- 1997. The failure of universities to produce conservation biologists. Conservation Biology 11:1267–1269.
- 2001. Rethinking science: knowledge and the public in an age of uncertainty. Polity, Cambridge, United Kingdom. , , and .
- 2010. The role of interface organizations in science communication and understanding. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 8:306–313. , et al.
- 2012. Socioenvironmental sustainbility and actionable science. BioScience 62:5–6.
- 2006. Understanding and promoting adoption of conservation practices by rural landholders. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 46:1407–1424. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Decision-making under great uncertainty: environmental management in an era of global change. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 26:398–404. , , , and .
- 2001. The business of biodiversity: applying decision theory principles to nature conservation. Australian Conservation Foundation, Melbourne.
- 2001. Effectiveness in conservation practice: pointers from medicine and public health. Conservation Biology 15:50–54. , and .
- 2005. Assessing conservation management's evidence base: a survey of management-plan compilers in the United Kingdom and Australia. Conservation Biology 19:1989–1996. , and .
- 2006. Guidelines for systematic review in conservation and environmental management. Conservation Biology 20:1647–1656. , and .
- 1997. Fisheries stock assessment and decision analysis: the Bayesian approach. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 7:35–63. , and .
- 2011a. An overview of structured decision making. Revised edition. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Conservation Training Center, Shepherdstown, West Virginia. , et al.
- 2011b. Which uncertainty? Using expert elicitation and expected value of information to design an adaptive program. Biological Conservation 144:1214–1223. , , and .
- 2008. Scientific societies in the 21st century: a membership crisis. Conservation Biology 22:1087–1089. , , and .
- 2010. How can we improve information delivery to support conservation and restoration decisions? Biodiversity and Conservation 19:1261–1267. , and .
- 2009. Predicting avian patch occupancy in a fragmented landscape: Do we know more than we think? Journal of Applied Ecology 46:1026–1035. , and .
- 1992. Statistics, costs and rationality in ecological inference. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 7:96–99. , and .
- 2007. Using a Bayesian belief network to predict suitable habitat of an endangered mammal—the Julia Creek dunnart (Sminthopsis douglasi). Biological Conservation 139:333–347. , , , and .
- 1985. What is conservation biology? BioScience 35:727–734.
- 2012. A critical assessment of collaborative adaptive management in practice. Journal of Applied Ecology 49:47–51. , , and .
- 2011. Quantifying the impact and relevance of scientific research. Public Library of Scinece ONE 6:1–10. , , , and .
- 2004. The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19:305–308. , , , and .
- 2009. Where and when to revegetate: a quantitative method for scheduling landscape reconstruction. Ecological Applications 19:817–828. , , , , and .
- 1995. On the practice of ecology. Journal of Ecology 83:153–158.
- 2001. Conservation biology: A displacement behavior for academia? Conservation Biology 15:1–3. , , and .
- 2011. Science and elephant management decisions in South Africa. Biological Conservation 144:876–885. , and .