Conservation Practice and Policy
Six Common Mistakes in Conservation Priority Setting
Version of Record online: 8 APR 2013
© 2013 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 27, Issue 3, pages 480–485, June 2013
How to Cite
GAME, E. T., KAREIVA, P. and POSSINGHAM, H. P. (2013), Six Common Mistakes in Conservation Priority Setting. Conservation Biology, 27: 480–485. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12051
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 15 AUG 2012
- 1988. Decision making: descriptive, normative, and prescriptive interactions. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom. , , and , editors.
- 2006. Global biodiversity conservation priorities. Science 313:58–61. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Risks and decisions for conservation and environmental management. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- 2012. Prioritizing threat management for biodiversity conservation. Conservation Letters 5:196–204. , , , , , and .
- 1990. Unfinished tasks: a research agenda for behavioural decision theory. Pages 44–65 in R. M. Hogarth, editor. Insights in decision making. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2003. Ten common mistakes in designing biodiversity indicators for forest policy. Journal of Environmental Management 68:121–132. , and .
- 2011. Incorporating climate change adaptation into national conservation assessments. Global Change Biology 17:3150–3160. , , , , and .
- 2008a. Should we protect the strong or the weak? Risk, resilience and the selection of marine protected areas. Conservation Biology 22:1619–1629. , , , and .
- 2008b. Planning for persistence in marine reserves: a question of catastrophic importance. Ecological Applications 18:670–680. , , , and .
- 2011. Buried by bad decisions. Nature 474:275–277.
- 2000. Using stakeholder values to make smarter environmental decisions. Enviornment 42:34–44.
- 2012. Structured decision making: a practical guide to environmental management choices. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, United Kingdom. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Optimal allocation of resources among threatened species: a project prioritization protocol. Conservation Biology 23:328–338. , , and .
- 1982. Decision analysis: an overview. Operations Research 30:803–838.
- 1993. Decisions with multiple objectives: preferences and value tradeoffs. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom. and .
- 1983. An iterative method for establishing priorities for the selection of nature reserves: an example from Tasmania. Biological Conservation 25:127–134.
- 2012. Combining structured decision making and value-of-information analyses to identify robust management strategies. Conservation Biology 26:810–820. , and .
- 1993. The psychology of judgment and decision making. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- 2000. Writing the wrongs: developing a safe-fail culture in conservation. Conservation Biology 14:1567–1568. , and .
- 2012. Conflation of values and science: response to Noss et al. Conservation Biology 26:943–944. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Prioritizing global conservation efforts. Nature 440:337–340. , , , and .
- 2007. Conserving biodiversity efficiently: what to do, where, and when. Plos Biology 5:e223. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0050223 , et al.
- 2006. Measurement and meaningfulness in conservation science. Conservation Biology 20:1626–1634.