Incentivizing Monitoring and Compliance in Trophy Hunting
Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc., on behalf of the Society for Conservation Biology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 1344–1354, December 2013
How to Cite
BUNNEFELD, N., EDWARDS, C. T. T., ATICKEM, A., HAILU, F. and MILNER-GULLAND, E. J. (2013), Incentivizing Monitoring and Compliance in Trophy Hunting. Conservation Biology, 27: 1344–1354. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12120
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 AUG 2012
- European Commission
- Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit award
- 2011). Tourism and protected areas: tourism development in the Bale Mountains National Park. Pages 282-294 in D. Randall, S. Thirgood and A. Kinahan, editors. Walia: special edition on the Bale Mountains. WALIA: Journal of the Ethiopian Wildlife and Natural History Society. Ethiopian Wildlife and Natural History Society. , , and . (
- 2009. Estimating the worldwide extent of illegal fishing. PLoS ONE 4 DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0004570. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Estimating population size and habitat suitability for mountain nyala in areas with different protection status. Animal Conservation 14:409–418. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Integrating costs into conservation planning across Africa. Biological Conservation 117:343–350. , , , and .
- 1995. Ecological economic modeling and valuation of ecosystems. Ecological Economics 14:143–159. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Habitat conservation, wildlife extraction and agricultural expansion. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 45:109–127. , and .
- 1999. Economics of antipoaching enforcement and the ivory trade ban. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 81:453–466. , and .
- 2011. Management strategy evaluation: A powerful tool for conservation? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 26:441–447. , , and .
- 1999. Experiences in the evaluation and implementation of management procedures. ICES Journal of Marine Science 56:985–998. , and .
- 2009. Animal breeding systems and big game hunting: models and application. Biological Conservation 142:909–929. , , , and .
- 1986. 2-sex models—chaos, extinction, and other dynamic consequences of sex. The American Naturalist 128:707–735. , and .
- 2007. A profile of the mountain nyala (Tragelaphus buxtoni). African Indaba 5:1–46. , , and .
- 2011. Human behaviour: the key source of uncertainty in fisheries management. Fish and Fisheries 12:2–17. , , , and .
- 1998. Population dynamics of large herbivores: variable recruitment with constant adult survival. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13:58–63. , , and .
- 2000. Temporal variation in fitness components and population dynamics of large herbivores. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31:367–393. , , , , and .
- 2006. Effective enforcement in a conservation area. Science 314:1266. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. When should communities and conservationists monitor exploited resources? Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2795–2806. , , , , , and .
- 2005. The nature of hunting around the Western Corridor of Serengeti National Park, Tanzania. European Journal of Wildlife Research 51:213–222. , , and .
- 2008. The sleeping policeman: understanding issues of enforcement and compliance in conservation. Animal Conservation 11:75–82. , , , and .
- 1995. Optimal harvesting of fluctuating populations with a risk of extinction. The American Naturalist 145:728–745. , , and .
- 2011. Raising the bar for systematic conservation planning. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 26:634–640. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Trophy hunting of black rhino Diceros bicornis: proposals to ensure its future sustainability. Journal of International Wildlife Law & Policy 8:1–11. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Potential of trophy hunting to create incentives for wildlife conservation in Africa where alternative wildlife-based land uses may not be viable. Animal Conservation 9:283–291. , , , , and .
- 2007. Economic and conservation significance of the trophy hunting industry in sub-Saharan Africa. Biological Conservation 134:455–469. , , and .
- 2009. An agent-based model for simulating trading of multi-species fisheries quota. Ecological Modelling 220:3404–3412. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Bushmeat hunting by communities adjacent to the Serengeti National Park, Tanzania: the importance of livestock ownership and alternative sources of protein and income. Environmental Conservation 29:391–398. , , , and .
- 2011. Integrating fisheries approaches and household utility models for improved resource management. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108:1741–1746.
- 2010. New directions in management strategy evaluation through cross-fertilization between fisheries science and terrestrial conservation. Biology Letters 6:719–722. , et al.
- SCB 2002 Annual Wild Meat Group. 2003. Wild meat: the bigger picture. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:351–357. , , and
- 2005. Hotspots revisited. Earth's biologically richest and most endangered terrestrial ecoregions. Conservation International, Washington D.C. , et al., editors.
- 1990. Demography of a large herbivore, the greater kudu Tragelaphus-Strepsiceros, in relation to rainfall. Journal of Animal Ecology 59:893–913.
- 2011. Effects of trophy hunting on lion and leopard populations in Tanzania. Conservation Biology 25:142–153. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Monitoring mammal populations with line transect techniques in African forests. Journal of Applied Ecology 37:356–368.
- 2008. A history of recent bases for management and the development of a species-combined operational management procedure for the South African hake resource. African Journal of Marine Science 30:291–310. , , and .
- 2007. Tips and tricks in designing management procedures. ICES Journal of Marine Science 64:618–625. , , and .
- 2010. Protected areas and community incentives in savannah ecosystems: a case study of Tanzania's Maasai Steppe. Oryx 44:390–398. , and .
- 2000. Design of operational management strategies for achieving fishery ecosystem objectives. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:731–741. , , and .
- 2008. Experience in implementing harvest strategies in Australia's south-eastern fisheries. Fisheries Research 94:373–379. , et al.
- 2012. Identifying indicators of illegal behaviour: carnivore killing in human-managed landscapes. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 279:804–812. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Ecological-economic modeling for biodiversity management: potential, pitfalls, and prospects. Conservation Biology 20:1034–1041. , et al.
- 2013. Management strategy evaluation applied to the conservation of an endangered population subject to incidental take. Biological Conservation 158:155–166. , , and .