Global Analysis of Anthropogenic Debris Ingestion by Sea Turtles
Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc., on behalf of the Society for Conservation Biology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 129–139, February 2014
How to Cite
SCHUYLER, Q., HARDESTY, B. D., WILCOX, C. and TOWNSEND, K. (2014), Global Analysis of Anthropogenic Debris Ingestion by Sea Turtles. Conservation Biology, 28: 129–139. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12126
- Issue online: 28 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 AUG 2012
- Oceans Flagship and Ecosystem Sciences, Goldring Earthwatch Emerging Marine Scientist Fellowship, ARC Linkage grant LP110200216, Goodman Family Foundation
- Australian Postgraduate Award, the Margaret Middleton Foundation, and the Shell Social Investment Program
- 1967. Comparative feeding ecology of sea birds of a tropical oceanic island. Peabody Museum of Natural History, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut. , and
- 1985. Impact of ocean debris on marine turtles: entanglement and ingestion. Pages 387–429 in R. S. Shomura and H. O. Yoshido, editors. Proceedings of the workshop on the fate and impact of marine debris. U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Technical memorandum 54. National Marine Fisheries Service, Honolulu.
- 2000. How much is a clean beach worth? The impact of litter on beach users in the Cape Peninsula, South Africa. South African Journal of Science 96:210–213. , , and .
- 2012. Algivory in hawksbill turtles: Eretmochelys imbricata food selection within a foraging area on the Northern Great Barrier Reef. Marine Ecology 34:43–55.
- 1997. Foraging ecology and nutrition of sea turtles. Pages 199–232 in P. L. Lutz and J. A. Musick, editors. The biology of sea turtles. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- 1994. Ingestion of marine debris by juvenile sea turtles in coastal Florida habitats. Marine Pollution Bulletin 28:154–158. , , and .
- 2003. Variation in sea turtle life history patterns: neritic vs. oceanic developmental stages. The Biology of Sea Turtles 2:243–257.
- 2008. The stomach contents of post-hatchling green and loggerhead sea turtles in the southwest Pacific: an insight into habitat association. Marine Biology 155:233–241. , and .
- 2001. Marine debris and human impacts on sea turtles in southern Brazil. Marine Pollution Bulletin 42:1330–1334. , , and .
- Bureau of the Census. 1990. 1990 Census of population general population characteristics: New York. U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, D.C.
- 1994. Diet of the Kemp's ridley sea turtle, Lepidochelys kempii, in New York waters. U.S. National Marine Fisheries Service Fishery Bulletin 92:26–32. , , and .
- 1998. Gross necropsy results of sea turtles stranded on the upper Texas and western Louisiana coasts, 1 January–31 December 1994. Pages 81–85 in Characteristics and causes of Texas marine strandings. U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) technical report 143. National Marine Fisheries Service, Seattle.
- 1986. Rips, FADS, and little loggerheads. BioScience 36:92–100.
- 2008. Foraging ecology of loggerhead sea turtles Caretta caretta in the central Mediterranean Sea: evidence for a relaxed life history model. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 372:265–276. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Impacts of plastic debris on Australian marine wildlife. Report. Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, Canberra, Australia.
- 2002. The pollution of the marine environment by plastic debris: a review. Marine Pollution Bulletin 44:842–852.
- 1997. Marine turtles of the Gulf of Gascony. Annales de la Societe des Sciences Naturelles de la Charente-Maritime 8:633–645.
- 2000. The ingestion of floating debris by Luth's turtle Dermochelys coriacea (Vandelli, 1761) in the Gulf of Gascony. Annales de la Societe des Sciences Naturelles de la Charente-Maritime 8:1035–1038. , , and .
- 1991. Man-made marine debris and sea turtle strandings on beaches of the upper Texas and southwestern Louisiana coasts, June 1987 through September 1989. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) technical memorandum 279. National Marine Fisheries Service Galveston, Texas. , , and .
- 1994. An introduction to the bootstrap. Chapman & Hall/CRC, New York. , and .
- 1994. Seas of debris: a summary of the Third international conference on marine debris. North Carolina Sea Grant College Program, Raleigh, North Carolina. , and .
- 2007. Characteristics of a green turtle (Chelonia mydas) assemblage in northwestern Florida determined during a hypothermic stunning event. Gulf of Mexico Science 25:131–143. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Foraging ecology of oceanic-stage loggerhead turtles Caretta caretta. Endangered Species Research 9:91–97. , , , , and .
- 1985. The diet of the green turtle, Chelonia mydas (L), in Torres Strait. Australian Wildlife Research 12:103–112. , , and .
- 2008. Satellite tracking of sea turtles: Where have we been and where do we go next? Endangered Species Research 4:3–22. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Using gut contents to assess foraging patterns of juvenile green turtles Chelonia mydas in the Paranagua Estuary, Brazil. Endangered Species Research 13:131–143. , , , and .
- 2000. Preliminary observations on the biology of green turtles, Chelonia mydas, from the United Arab Emirates. Aquatic Conservation-Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 10:311–322. , , , and .
- 2008. The effects of derelict blue crab traps on marine organisms in the lower York River, Virginia. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28:1194–1200. , , , , and .
- IBGE (Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics). 2010. Censo 2010. IBGE, location. Available from http://censo2010.ibge.gov.br/en/sobre-censo (accessed April 2013).
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). 2012. IUCN red list of threatened species. Version 2012.2. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. Available from http://www.iucnredlist.org (accessed December 2012).
- 1995. Fishing debris in the Australian marine environment. Marine Pollution Bulletin 30:25–33.
- 2004. Heavy metal monitoring in stranded sea turtles along the Mediterranean coast of Turkey. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin 13:769–776. , , , , , , , and .
- 1993. Bisphenol-A: an estrogenic substance is released from polycarbonate flasks during autoclaving. Endocrinology 132:2279–2279. , , , , and .
- 1997. Impacts of marine debris: entanglement of marine life in marine debris including a comprehensive list of species with entanglement and ingestion records. Pages 99–139 in J. M. Coe and D. B. Rogers, editors. Marine debris: sources, impacts, and solutions. Springer, New York.
- 2011. Ingestion of marine debris by loggerhead sea turtles, Caretta caretta, in the Adriatic Sea. Marine Pollution Bulletin 62:43–47. , and .
- 2012. Numerical modelling of floating debris in the world's oceans. Marine Pollution Bulletin 64:653–661. , , and .
- 2001. The loggerhead turtle, Caretta caretta in Queensland: feeding ecology in warm temperate waters. Memoirs of the Queensland Museum 46:631–645. , , , , and .
- 2005. Identifying critical foraging habitats of the green turtle (Chelonia mydas) along the Pacific coast of the Baja California peninsula, Mexico. Aquatic Conservation-Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 15:259–269. , , , and .
- 2003. A review of long-distance movements by marine turtles, and the possible role of ocean currents. Oikos 103:293–302. , , and .
- 2009. Leatherback turtles: the menace of plastic. Marine Pollution Bulletin 58:287–289. , , and .
- 1997. Habitat utilization and migration in juvenile sea turtles. The Biology of Sea Turtles 1:137–163. , and .
- NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Organization). 2012. Japan Tsunami debris: information and FAQs. NOAA, Silver Spring, Maryland. Available from http://marinedebris.noaa.gov/info/japanfaqs.html (accessed June 2012).
- 2009. A critical analysis of the biological impacts of plasticizers on wildlife. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 364:2047–2062. , et al.
- 2005. Diet of oceanic loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta caretta) in the central North Pacific. Fishery Bulletin 103:142–152. , , and .
- 2011. Oceanic diet and distribution of haplotypes for the green turtle, Chelonia mydas, in the Central North Pacific. Pacific Science 65:419–431. , , and .
- 2011. Demographic implications of alternative foraging strategies in juvenile loggerhead turtles Caretta caretta of the North Pacific Ocean. Marine Ecology Progress Series 425:269–280. , , , , , , , and .
- PlasticsEurope. 2009. The compelling facts about plastics 2009: an analysis of European plastics production, demand and recovery for 2008. PlasticsEurope, Brussels.
- 1990. Effects of anthropogenic debris on sea turtles in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico. Pages 736–743 in R. Shomura, and H. Yoshida, editors. Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on marine debris. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Honolulu. and .
- 1993. Feeding ecology of the loggerhead sea turtle Caretta caretta in the Northwestern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Biology 115:1–5. , , and .
- 2010. Effects of El Nino-driven environmental variability on black turtle migration to Peruvian foraging grounds. Hydrobiologia 645:69–79. , , , , and .
- 2012. Conservation related insights into the behaviour of the olive ridley sea turtle Lepidochelys olivacea nesting in Oman. Marine Ecology Progress Series 450:195–205. , , , , and .
- 2007. The diet of pelagic loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta caretta) off the Balearic archipelago (western Mediterranean): relevance of long-line baits. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 87:805–813. , , , and .
- 1985. Biology of the green turtle, Chelonia mydas, on an Arabian feeding ground. Journal of Herpetology 19:459–468. .
- 2003. Notes on the influence of human activities on sea chelonians in Sicilian waters. Ibex Journal of Mountain Studies 7:37–41. , , , , , , and .
- 1989. Marine mammal and sea turtle encounters with marine debris in the New York Bight and the northeast Atlantic. Pages 2–7 in R. Shomura, editor. Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on marine debris. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Honolulu. , and .
- 2011. Coastal habitat degradation and green sea turtle diets in Southeastern Brazil. Marine Pollution Bulletin 62:1297–1302. , et al.
- 2012. To eat or not to eat? Debris selectivity by marine turtles. PLoS ONE 7. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0040884. , , , and .
- 2007. Historical diet analysis of loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta caretta) in Virginia. Copeia 2007:478–489. , and .
- 2002. Diet of east Pacific green turtles (Chelonia mydas) in the central Gulf of California, Mexico. Journal of Herpetology 36:447–453. , , and .
- 1991. Feeding ecology of wild and head-started Kemp's Ridley sea turtles in South Texas waters. Journal of Herpetology 25:327–334.
- 1998. Sea turtle strandings along the Texas coast, 1980–94. Pages 57–72 in Characteristics and causes of Texas marine strandings. U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) technical report 143. National Marine Fisheries Service, Seattle.
- 2007. Marine debris & plastics: environmental concerns, sources, impacts and solutions. Journal of Polymers and the Environment 15:301–305. , and .
- 2007. Respiratory properties of blood in flatback turtles (Natator depressus). Journal of Comparative Physiology B: Biochemical, Systemic, and Environmental Physiology 177:779–786. , , , and .
- 2009. Transport and release of chemicals from plastics to the environment and to wildlife. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 364:2027–2045. , et al.
- 2002. Marine debris ingestion in loggerhead sea turtles, Caretta caretta from the Western Mediterranean. Marine Pollution Bulletin 44:211–216. , , , and .
- 2010. Is marine debris ingestion still a problem for the coastal marine biota of southern Brazil? Marine Pollution Bulletin 60:396–401. , , and .
- UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme). 2005. Marine litter, an analytical overview. UNEP, Nairobi.
- 2011. Monitoring plastic ingestion by the northern fulmar Fulmarus glacialis in the North Sea. Environmental Pollution 159:2609–2615. , et al.
- SNS Fulmar Study Group. 2011. Chemicals in marine plastics and potential risks for a seabird like the Northern Fulmar (Fulmarus glacialis). Pages 415–418 in B. Carswell, K. McElwee, and S. Morison, editors. Fifth international marine debris conference. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Adminstration, Honolulu. , and
- 1990. Absence of a pelagic phase in the life cycle of the flatback turtle, Natator depressa (Garman). Journal of Biogeography 17:275–278. , and .
- 2002. Ecology of neonate loggerhead turtles inhabiting lines of downwelling near a Gulf Stream front. Marine Biology 140:843–853.