Use of Pollen and Ancient DNA as Conservation Baselines for Offshore Islands in New Zealand
Article first published online: 11 SEP 2013
© 2013 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 202–212, February 2014
How to Cite
WILMSHURST, J. M., MOAR, N. T., WOOD, J. R., BELLINGHAM, P. J., FINDLATER, A. M., ROBINSON, J. J. and STONE, C. (2014), Use of Pollen and Ancient DNA as Conservation Baselines for Offshore Islands in New Zealand. Conservation Biology, 28: 202–212. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12150
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 11 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 NOV 2012
- Crown Research Institutes from the New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation
- Employment's Science and Innovation Group
- 2009. Rattus exulans and the catastrophic disappearance of Hawai'i's native lowland forest. Biological Invasions 11:1489–1501.
- 2004. Successional processes induced by fires on the northern offshore islands of New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 28:181–194.
- 2010. New Zealand island restoration: seabirds, predators, and the importance of history. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 34:115–136. , , , , , , and .
- 1986. Chemical Analysis. Pages 423–451 in B. E. Berglund, editor. Handbook of Holocene palaeoecology and palaeohydrology. John Wiley, Chichester. , and .
- 2006. DNA from pollen: principles and potential. The Holocene 16:1031–1034. , and .
- 2001. Fossil evidence for a diverse biota from Kaua‘i and its transformation since human arrival. Ecological Monographs 71:615–641. , et al.
- 2002. Depression of tree recruitment by the Pacific rat (Rattus exulans Peale) on New Zealand's northern offshore islands. Biological Conservation 107:19–35. , and .
- 2010. Conservation of oceanic island floras: present and future global challenges. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 12:107–129. , et al.
- 1982. Point count estimation of charcoal in pollen preparations and thin sections. Pollen et Spores 24:523–535.
- 1905. Notes on a brief botanical visit to the Poor Knights Islands. Transactions and Proceedings of the New Zealand Institute 38:351–360.
- 2000. Ancient DNA: do it right or not at all. Science 289:1139. , and .
- 1978. Forest regeneration on Hen Island. Tane 24:103–118.
- 1969. The New Zealand rain forest: a comparison with tropical rain forest. Pacific Science 23:131–147. , and .
- 1999. The vascular flora of Aorangi Island, Poor Knights Islands northern New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Botany 37:433–468. , and .
- 2011. Conservation paleobiology: putting the dead to work. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 26:30–37. , and .
- 2002. A dated pollen record of vegetation change on Mayor Island (Tuhua) throughout the last 3000 years. Global and Planetary Change 33:329–337. , , and .
- 2008. Emerging issues in biodiversity & conservation management: the need for a palaeoecological perspective. Quaternary Science Reviews 27:1723–1732. , and .
- 2006. Above- and below-ground impacts of introduced predators in seabird-dominated island ecosystems. Ecology Letters 9:1299–1307. , et al.
- 2008. Guadalupe Island: Lost paradise recovered? Overgrazing impact on extinction in a remote oceanic island as estimated through accumulation functions. Biodiversity and Conservation 17:1613–1625. , , and .
- 1982. A re-assessment of permanent vegetation quadrats on Tawhiti Rahi, Poor Knights Islands, north-eastern New Zealand. Tane 28:199–206.
- 1983. Biology of the Buller's shearwater (Puffinus bulleri) at the Poor Knights Islands, New Zealand. Notornis 30:299–318.
- 1961. Peat samples. Pages 78–86 in W. M. Hamilton, editor. Little Barrier Island (Hauturu). New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Wellington.
- 1991. Geology and geomorphology of the Poor Knights Islands, northern New Zealand. Tane 33:23–37.
- 1982. Lichens of Tawhiti Rahi, Poor Knights Islands, northern New Zealand. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand 12:373–379. , and .
- 2007. Setting effective and realistic restoration goals: key directions for research. Restoration Ecology 15:354–357.
- 2002. A wiggle-match date for Polynesian settlement of New Zealand. Antiquity 77:116–125. , , , , , and .
- 2002. A 6000-year palaeoenvironmental record from Harataonga, Great Barrier Island, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Botany 40:123–135. , , and .
- 2007. Rethinking Easter Island's ecological catastrophe. Journal of Archaeological Science 34:485–502.
- 2007. Advances in Polynesian prehistory: a review and assessment of the past decade (1993–2004). Journal of Archaeological Research 15:191–238. , and .
- 2005. Gardens without weeds? Pre-European Māori gardens and inadvertent introductions. New Zealand Journal of Botany 43:271–284.
- 1981. Birds of Tawhiti Rahi Island, Poor Knights Group, Northland, New Zealand. Tane 27:59–66.
- 1999. Dating initial Māori environmental impact in New Zealand. Quaternary International 59:5–16. , and .
- 2005. Hotspots revisited: Earth's biologically richest and most endangered terrestrial ecoregions. Conservation International, Washington, D.C. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Standardising names applied to pollen and spores in Quaternary New Zealand palynology. New Zealand Journal of Botany 49:201–229. , , and .
- 1991. Pollen analysis. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, United Kingdom. , , and .
- 2008. Statistical assignment of DNA sequences using Bayesian phylogenetics. Systematic Biology 57:750–757. , , , , and .
- 1998. The Kaharoa Tephra as a critical datum for earliest human impact in northern New Zealand. Journal of Archaeological Science 25:533–544. , , , , and .
- NIWA (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research). 2013. New Zealand's national climate database. NIWA, Auckland. Available from http://cliflo.niwa.co.nz (accessed March 2013).
- 2012. Vegan: community ecology package. R package. Version 2.0-5. Available from http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=vegan (accessed March 2013). , et al.
- 2013. Molecular- and pollen-based vegetation analysis in lake sediments from central Scandinavia. Molecular Ecology 22:3511–3524. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1970. The establishment of permanent vegetation quadrats on the Poor Knights Islands. Tane 16:45–51.
- 2008. The late Quaternary decline and extinction of palms on oceanic Pacific islands. Quaternary Science Reviews 27:2546–2567. , and .
- 2006. Extinction and biogeography of tropical Pacific birds. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2007. Power and limitations of the chloroplast trnL (UAA) intron for plant DNA barcoding. Nucleic Acids Research 35:e14. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Determining appropriate goals for restoration of imperilled communities and species. Journal of Applied Ecology 48:275–279. , and .
- 2012. A research strategy for biodiversity conservation on New Zealand's offshore islands. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 36:1–20. , , , and .
- 2003. Restoration of the principal Marotere Islands. Department of Conservation, Wellington, New Zealand. , and .
- 2008. Fossil pollen as a guide to conservation in the Galapagos. Science 322:1206–1206. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Quaternary palaeoecology and nature conservation: a general review with examples from the neotropics. Quaternary Science Reviews 30:2361–2388. , , , and .
- 2001. Charcoal as a fire proxy. Pages 75–97 in J. P. Smol, H. J. B. Birks, and W. M. Last, editors. Tracking environmental change using lake sediments. Volume 3. Terrestrial, algal, and siliceous indicators. Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. , and .
- 2007. Biodiversity hotspots through time: an introduction. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 362:169–174. , , and .
- 1998. Potential application of pollen analysis in island restoration plans for Moutohora Island. Contract report LC 9798/I. Landcare Research, Lincoln, New Zealand.
- 2008. Dating the late prehistoric dispersal of Polynesians to New Zealand using the commensal Pacific rat. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:7676–7680. , , , and .
- 2007. A pre-deforestation pollen-climate calibration model for New Zealand and quantitative temperature reconstructions for the past 18 000 years BP. Journal of Quaternary Science 22:535–547. , , , and .
- 2008. Coprolite deposits reveal the diet and ecology of the extinct New Zealand megaherbivore moa (Aves, Dinornithiformes). Quaternary Science Reviews 27:2593–2602. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Reassessment of revegetation strategies for Kaho'olawe Island, Hawai'i. Journal of Range Management 53:106–113. , , , and .