Trophic Cascades Following the Disease-Induced Decline of an Apex Predator, the Tasmanian Devil
Article first published online: 11 SEP 2013
© 2013 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 63–75, February 2014
How to Cite
HOLLINGS, T., JONES, M., MOONEY, N. and MCCALLUM, H. (2014), Trophic Cascades Following the Disease-Induced Decline of an Apex Predator, the Tasmanian Devil. Conservation Biology, 28: 63–75. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12152
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 11 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAY 2012
- 2002. Origin and spread of the cat, Felis catus, on mainland Australia, with a discussion of the magnitude of its early impact on native fauna. Wildlife Research 29:51–74.
- 2007. Does interference competition with wolves limit the distribution and abundance of coyotes? Journal of Animal Ecology 76:1075–1085. , and .
- 2009. Large predators and trophic cascades in terrestrial ecosystems of the western United States. Biological Conservation 142:2401–2414. , and .
- 1980. Diet of the eastern native-cat, Dasyurus viverrinus (Shaw), in southern Tasmania. Australian Wildlife Research 7:191–197.
- 2010. Ecological and conservation implications of mesopredator release. Pages 221–240 in J. Terborgh and J. A. Estes, editors. Trophic cascades: predators, prey and the changing dynamics of nature. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodal inference: a practical information and theoretic approach. 2nd edition. Springer-Verlag, New York. , and .
- 1999. Mesopredator release and avifaunal extinctions in a fragmented system. Nature 400:563–566. , and .
- 2009. Diversity and depletions in continental carnivore guilds: implications for prioritizing global carnivore conservation. Biology Letters 5:35–38. , , , and .
- 1996. Impact of exotic generalist predators on the native fauna of Australia. Wildlife Biology 2:185–195.
- 2009. Reintroducing the dingo: Can Australia's conservation wastelands be restored? Pages 238–269 in M. W. Hayward and M. J. Somers, editors. Reintroduction of top-order predators. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, United Kingdom. , , and .
- 1992. Review and analysis of spotlight surveys in Tasmania: 1975–1990. Scientific report 92/1. Department of Parks, Wildlife and Heritage, Hobart, Tasmania. , and .
- 2010. Top predators, mesopredators and their prey: interference ecosystems along bioclimatic productivity gradients. The Journal of Animal Ecology 79:785–794. , , , , and .
- 2007. Trophic control of mesopredators in terrestrial ecosystems: Top-down or bottom-up? Ecology Letters 10:197–206. , and .
- 2011. Trophic downgrading of planet Earth. Science 333:301–306. , et al.
- 2006. Emerging disease and population decline of an island endemic, the Tasmanian devil Sarcophilus harrisii. Biological Conservation 131:307–324. , et al.
- 1992. Tasmanian spotlight survey manual. Department of Parks, Wildlife and Heritage, Hobart, Tasmania. , and .
- Information and Land Services. 2004. LIST Address point dataset. DPIPWE Tasmania, Australia.
- 2007. Rarity of a top predator triggers continent-wide collapse of mammal prey: dingoes and marsupials in Australia. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 274:341–346. , , and .
- 1997. Character displacement in Australian dasyurid carnivores: size relationships and prey size patterns. Ecology 78:2569–2587.
- 1998. Diet overlap and abundance of sympatric dasyurid carnivores: A hypothesis of competition? Journal of Animal Ecology 67:410–421. , and .
- 2000. Niche differentiation among sympatric Australian dasyurid carnivores. Journal of Mammalogy 81:434–447. , and .
- 2004. Is anti-predator behaviour in Tasmanian eastern quolls (Dasyurus viverrinus) effective against introduced predators? Animal Conservation 7:155–160. , , and .
- 2007. The impact of disease on the survival and population growth rate of the Tasmanian devil. Journal of Animal Ecology 76:926–936. , , and .
- 2009. Transmission dynamics of Tasmanian devil facial tumor disease may lead to disease-induced extinction. Ecology 90:3379–3392. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Distribution and impacts of Tasmanian devil facial tumor disease. EcoHealth 4:318–325. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Behavioral indicators for conserving mammal diversity. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1162:334–356. , , , , and .
- 2000. Reproduction and demography of the northern quoll, Dasyurus hallucatus, in the lowland savanna of northern Australia. Australian Journal of Zoology 48:519–539.
- 1981. Exploitation ecosystems in gradients of primary productivity. American Naturalist 118:240–261. , , , and .
- 1990. Exploitation ecosystems in heterogeneous habitat complexes. Evolutionary Ecology 4:220–234.
- 1999. Trophic cascades revealed in diverse ecosystems. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14:483–488. , , , and .
- 2007. Infectious diseases and extinction risk in wild mammals. Conservation Biology 21:1269–1279. , et al.
- 2004. Changes in mesopredator-community structure in response to urbanization. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82:1804–1817. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2006. Modeling species’ distributions to improve conservation in semiurban landscapes: Koala case study. Conservation Biology 20:449–459. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Predator interactions, mesopredator release and biodiversity conservation. Ecology Letters 12:982–998. , and .
- 1994. Mammal decline and recovery in Australia. Journal of Mammalogy 75:288–297. , and .
- 1996. Patterns and causes of extinctions and decline in Australian conilurine rodents. Biological Conservation 77:243–267. , and .
- 1988. Reconstructed dynamics of rapid extinctions of chaparral-requiring birds in urban habitat islands. Conservation Biology 2:75–92. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Repeatability and standardisation of roadside spotlight counts of mammals in Tasmania. Australian Mammalogy 16:73–75. , and .
- Tasmanian Year Book. 1998. Rabbit calicivirus in Tasmania Australian. Bureau of Statistics, Hobart.
- 1999. The role of top carnivores in regulating terrestrial ecosystems. Wild Earth 9:42–56. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Mammals of Australia. New Holland Press. , and , editors.
- 2010. Predator control promotes invasive dominated ecological states. Ecology Letters 13:1008–1018. , , , and .
- 2003. Bring back the devil? Nature Australia 27:84. , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer Science+Business, New York. , , , , and .