Conservation Practice and Policy
Adaptive Comanagement of a Marine Protected Area Network in Fiji
Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc., on behalf of the Society for Conservation Biology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 1234–1244, December 2013
How to Cite
WEEKS, R. and JUPITER, S. D. (2013), Adaptive Comanagement of a Marine Protected Area Network in Fiji. Conservation Biology, 27: 1234–1244. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12153
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 AUG 2012
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation. Grant Numbers: 2009–34839, 2010–35664
- John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Grant Number: 10–94985–000-GSS
- U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Coral Reef Conservation Program. Grant Number: NA10NOS4630052
- 2005. Density-dependent spillover from a marine reserve: long-term evidence. Ecological Applications 15:1798–1812. , and .
- 2006. Global assessment of modern coral reef extent and diversity for regional science and management applications: a view from space. 10th International Coral Reef Symposium 1732–1745. , et al.
- 2009. Adaptive co-management for social–ecological complexity. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7:95–102. , et al.
- 2005. Customary sea tenure in Oceania as a case of rights-based fishery management: Does it work? Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 15:285–307.
- 2000. MARXAN (V1.8.2): marine reserve design using spatially explicit annealing, a manual. University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia. , and .
- 2011. Designing, implementing and managing marine protected areas: emerging trends and opportunities for coral reef nations. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 408:21–31. , et al.
- 2010. Policy implications of protected area discourse in the Pacific islands. Marine Policy 34:99–104. , , , and .
- 2000. Rediscovery of traditional ecological knowledge as adaptive management. Traditional Ecological Knowledge 10:1251–1262. , , and .
- 2012. Institutional designs of customary fisheries management arrangements in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, and Mexico. Marine Policy 36:278–285. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Periodic closures as adaptive coral reef management in the Indo-Pacific. Ecology and Society 11:31. , , , and .
- 2006. Socioeconomic factors that lead to overfishing in small-scale coral reef fisheries of Papua New Guinea. Environmental Conservation 33:73–80. , and .
- 2010. Law, custom and community-based natural resource management in Kubulau District (Fiji). Environmental Conservation 37:98–106. , and .
- 2013. Sustaining small-scale fisheries with periodically harvested marine reserves. Marine Policy 37:278–287. , and .
- 2009. Conservation planning on a budget: A “resource light” method for mapping priorities at a landscape scale? Biodiversity and Conservation 18:1979–2000. , et al.
- 2011. The importance of monitoring and evaluation in adaptive maritime spatial planning. Journal of Coastal Conservation 15:305–311. , and .
- 2010. Perception surveys of coastal resource use and changes following establishment of a marine protected area network in Kubulau, Fiji. Technical report 07/10. Wildlife Conservation Society, Suva, Fiji. Available from http://www.wcsfiji.org/Resources/Reports.aspx (accessed January 2012). , , , and .
- 2011. Tenure and taboos: origins and implications for fisheries in the Pacific. Fish and Fisheries 12:357–369. , , , , and .
- 2003. Exploring the role of local ecological knowledge in ecosystem management: three case studies. Pages 189–209 in Navigating social-ecological systems: building resilience for complexity and change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , , and .
- 2010. Informed opportunism for conservation planning in the Solomon Islands. Conservation Letters 4:38–46. , et al.
- 1999. Empowering local communities to reverse the decline of coral reef ecosystems in Fiji. Working document. Foundations for the Peoples of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji. Available from http://www.reefbase.org/resource_center/publication/main.aspx?refid = 27342 (accessed January 2012).
- 2009. Status and potential of locally-managed marine areas in the South Pacific: meeting nature conservation and sustainable livelihood targets through wide-spread implementation of LMMAs. SPREP/WWF/WorldFish-Reefbase/CRISP, Suva, Fiji. Available from http://www.spc.int/DigitalLibrary/Doc/FAME/Reports/Govan_09_Status_LMMAs.pdf (accessed January 2012). , et al.
- 2010. Effective conservation planning requires learning and adaptation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 8:431–437. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Ecosystem-based adaptation in marine ecosystems of tropical Oceania in response to climate change. Pacific Conservation Biology 17:241–258. , et al.
- 2009. Designing a resilient network of marine protected areas for Kimbe Bay, Papua New Guinea. Oryx 43:488–498. , et al.
- 1999. Resilience, flexibility, and adaptive management: Antidotes for spurious certitude? Conservation Ecology 3:7.
- Holling, C. S., editor. 1978. Adaptive environmental assessment and management. Wiley, New York.
- 2011. Systematic conservation planning and adaptive management. Koedoe 53: Art. #1029, 9 pp. , and .
- 2012. Marine protected area networks in the Philippines: trends and challenges for establishment and governance. Ocean & Coastal Management 64:15–26. , , , and .
- 1998. Contextual flexibility: present status and future of customary marine tenure in Solomon Islands. Ocean & Coastal Management 40:253–269.
- 2002. The renaissance of community-based marine resource management in Oceania. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33:317–340.
- 2011. Ecosystem-based management in Fiji: successes and challenges after five years of implementation. Journal of Marine Biology 2011: Art. #940765, 14 pp. DOI:10.1155/2011/940765. , and .
- 2010. Non-compliance with management rules and its implications for traditional fisheries in Fiji. Technical Report no. 04/10. Wildlife Conservation Society, Suva, Fiji. Available from http://www.wcsfiji.org/Resources/Reports.aspx (accessed January 2012). , et al.
- 1998. Measures of success: designing, managing, and monitoring conservation and development projects. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , and .
- 2010. Adaptive management of the Great Barrier Reef: a globally significant demonstration of the benefits of networks of marine reserves. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107:18278–18285. , et al.
- 2009. Designing marine protected area networks to address the impacts of climate change. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7:362–370. , , , and .
- 2010. A mismatch of scales: challenges in planning for implementation of marine protected areas in the Coral Triangle. Conservation Letters 3:291–303. , , , , and .
- 2009. Resilience assessment of coral reefs—assessment protocol for coral reefs, focusing on coral bleaching and thermal stress. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. , and .
- 2004. Adaptive comanagement for building resilience in social–ecological systems. Environmental Management 34:75–90. , , and .
- 2009. The adaptive co-management process: an initial synthesis of representative models and influential variables. Ecology and Society 14:24.
- 2006. Fishery co-management: a practical handbook. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, United Kingdom. , and .
- 2013. The plan of the day: managing the dynamic transition from regional conservation designs to local conservation actions. Biological Conservation 166:155–169. , , and .
- 2011. The development and application of strategic adaptive management within South African National Parks. Koedoe 53(2): Art. #1049, 5 pp. , and .
- 2004. Marine reserves: long-term protection is required for full recovery of predatory fish populations. Oecologia 138:622–627. , and .
- The Nature Conservancy, WWF, Conservation International, and Wildlife Conservation Society. 2008. Marine protected area networks in the Coral Triangle: development and lessons. Cebu City, Philippines.
- 1986. Adaptive management of renewable resources. MacMillan Publishing Company, New York.
- 1978. Ecological optimization and adaptive management. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 9:157–188. , and .
- Wildlife Conservation Society. 2009. Ecosystem-based management plan: Kubulau District, Vanua Levu, Fiji. WCS, Suva, Fiji.