Continental-Scale Governance and the Hastening of Loss of Australia's Biodiversity
Article first published online: 2 DEC 2013
© 2013 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 1133–1135, December 2013
How to Cite
Ritchie, E. G., Bradshaw, C. J. A., Dickman, C. R., Hobbs, R., Johnson, C. N., Johnston, E. L., Laurance, W. F., Lindenmayer, D., McCarthy, M. A., Nimmo, D. G., Possingham, H. H., Pressey, R. L., Watson, D. M. and Woinarski, J. (2013), Continental-Scale Governance and the Hastening of Loss of Australia's Biodiversity. Conservation Biology, 27: 1133–1135. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12189
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 2 DEC 2013
- 2013. Security and equity of conservation covenants: contradictions of private protected area policies in Australia. Land Use Policy 30:114–119. , and .
- 2013. Are outcomes matching policy commitments in Australian marine conservation planning? Marine Policy 42:39–48. , and .
- 2012. Report of the Independent Scientific Audit of Marine Parks in New South Wales. NSW Department of Primary Industries and Office of Environment and Heritage, NSW (p. 1–124). , , , , , and .
- 2008. NSW Vegetation classification and Assessment: part 2 plant communities of the NSW South-western Slopes Bioregion and update of NSW Western Plains plant communities. Version 2 of the NSWVCA database. Cunninghamia 10:599–673.
- 2010. Hunting and feral animal control: Conservation or con? Pages 25–31 in M. Tensen and B. Jones, editors. Convergence or conflict: animal welfare in wildlife management and conservation. Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Canberra.
- 2012. Little left to lose: deforestation and forest degradation in Australia since European colonization. Journal of Plant Ecology 5:109–120.
- 2010. Evaluating the relative environmental impact of countries. PLoS ONE 5: DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0010440 , , and .
- 2008. Synergies among extinction drivers under global change. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:453–460. , , and .
- 2012. Biodiversity loss and its impact on humanity. Nature 486:59–67. , et al.
- Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities. 2009. EPBC Act list of threatened fauna. Australian Government, Canberra. Available from http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicthreatenedlist.pl?wanted=fauna (accessed August 2013).
- Fisheries Research & Development Corporation. 2012. Status of key Australian fish stocks. FRDC, Canberra.
- 2006. Who's who in Conservation Biology—an authorship analysis. Conservation Biology 20:652–657.
- 2013. Scientific foundations for an IUCN Red List of ecosystems. PLoS ONE 8 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0062111 , et al.
- 2012. Averting biodiversity collapse in tropical forest protected areas. Nature 489:290–294. , et al
- 2013. No excuse for habitat destruction. Science 340:680. , and .
- 2007. Impact of grazing intensity during drought in an Arizona grassland: Contributed papers. Conservation Biology 21:87–97. , , and .
- 2009. Collapse of an avifauna: climate change appears to exacerbate habitat loss and degradation. Diversity and Distributions 15:720–730. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Acting fast helps avoid extinction. Conservation Letters 5:274–280. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Protected area downgrading, downsizing, and degazettement (PADDD) and its conservation implications. Conservation Letters 4:9–20. , and .
- 2013. Google search patterns suggest declining interest in the environment. Biodiversity and Conservation 22:1355–1367. , and .
- 2000. Using abiotic data for conservation assessments over extensive regions: quantitative methods applied across New South Wales, Australia. Biological Conservation 96:55–82. , , , , , , and .
- 2013. Conservation: relaxed laws imperil Australian wildlife. Nature 498:434.
- 2012. Ecosystem restoration with teeth: What role for predators? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 27:265–271. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Predator interactions, mesopredator release and biodiversity conservation. Ecology Letters 12:982–998. , and .
- 2011. Unexpected consequences of control: competitive vs. predator release in a four-species assemblage of invasive mammals. Ecology Letters 14:1035–1042. , et al.
- 2013. Legal aid cuts threaten environmental justice. EDO NSW Weekly Bulletin 814:1.
- 2011. What works for threatened species recovery? An empirical evaluation for Australia. Biodiversity and Conservation 20:767–777. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The disappearing mammal fauna of northern Australia: context, cause, and response. Conservation Letters 4:192–201. , et al.